Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
High Speed Modem Possibility?

Hi All!
I full time in a 2014 30' International. I have the opportunity to hook up high speed internet through Century Link. Does anyone know how or if this is possible? I can't seem to find information about an outside port or an inside port to jump from.
Thanks!
FFEJANDIRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Without knowing anything about Century Links internet I gotta ask... is something that comes through a phone line or a coaxial cable? Or does it use one of those mini sat. dishes?

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There is no port for an outside internet service. If they use coax cable you can probably reuse the satellite in cable. But likely they have a proprietary cable going into a box, and from that box either a coax or RJ45 cable going to a modem or router. That box is likely going to have to live outside of the trailer, and the modem/router inside. The cable connecting the two, if not coax, is going to have to be run through an existing hole. I doubt you want to be drilling new holes. A vent is a good candidate.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
You know, I just assumed it would be a cat cable and jump inside from a female to female RJ45 to a modem inside. can you hook up a modem from a satellite coax connection?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFEJANDIRAB View Post
You know, I just assumed it would be a cat cable and jump inside from a female to female RJ45 to a modem inside. can you hook up a modem from a satellite coax connection?
You can, it depends on the modem and the service. Verizon FIOS for example uses a RJ45 cable and connects to a router, not a modem. So it depends on what they will provide. But in any case, there is not pre-built connection for these things in our AS. You may be able to repurpose the satellite in connection if they use a coax cable, but I am not sure.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
If you are stationary then perhaps it is a cable based service. That would provide you with the fastest connection. If you are not stationary then it would pretty much have to be a satellite connection - also not bad for downloads but slow for uploads if that is important. There are so many converters out there for various connections, I - which is me and how I would approach it, but only me - I would just order the service and figure out how to get the connection working in my trailer
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFEJANDIRAB View Post
Hi All!
I full time in a 2014 30' International. I have the opportunity to hook up high speed internet through Century Link. Does anyone know how or if this is possible? I can't seem to find information about an outside port or an inside port to jump from.
Thanks!
I don't know what Airstream is doing these days and the 2014 manual is no help, but....
Do you have phone jacks in your trailer? New home construction has shifted from running the old 4-wire phone cable to CAT-5 or 6 Ethernet cable. If you have a phone jack, pull it out and see what kind of wire runs to it. IF it is CAT-5 or 6, you could use the phone line as the entrance cable to the trailer and locate any inside box where there is a phone jack.

If that doesn't work, maybe you can find a place where you can mount an external marine-type connector on the outside and an internal connector plate on the inside and direct wire between them. One such location is the refrigerator cavity. In my 2002 30' Classic I could mount the outside connector above the outside refrigerator access door and put the inside connector on the wall at the side of the refrigerator above the microwave cabinet.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
We have Centurylink. It's coax/fiber optic. Haven't heard of any mobile way to connect.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
Classy Roscoe

Get out the shovel, and it grows roses too!

Ok, high speed internet is a term that covers everything from grandma first gear to T3 light guide communications and beyond. But for most of us, we rock along at about a million and a half "bits" per second input from the Internet and about 350,000 bits going out. (Takes eight bits to make a byte and it took 729 bits to write this between the parenthesis), not including control characters and CRC checks.

Makes no difference if it's letters, colors, clicks, pixels or noises, it's all done in bytes broken down into bits. Just the way God or Al Gore , your choice, made the Internet.

So, if you want "high speed" internet in you AS you need to decide if you want it "fixed base" or "portable".

If fixed base it will take a wire of some sort. Either a coax cable, which most likely is already run from the street side of your AS to somewhere around the radio cabnet. Ours is in the galley under the table.

If the fixed base method is by phone wire connection (ADSL) again there will be a phone wire from outside to inside.

Regardless, these wires WILL connect to a modem. Modems ( MODulators DEModulators) come in lots of flavored. Some have a critter called a router within the modem box, others don't. Some modems have wireless radios built in to them. The end result is that you have a wire that connects from the Internet to you computer.

Unless you want to dive off into the dark side of local area or wide area network topology and TCP/IP communication layers, let's leave it at that.

So, if you want a fixed base system, plan on a wire running into your AS depending on what company you want to deal with. Some use coax (cable folks) some use phone wire. (Phone company)

Just remember that you need to disconnect the wire anytime you change locations and between camp sites you have no service.

If you go mobile based systems you must use the cell phone service or satellite based service. Each have their good and bad sides.

Satellite based stuff is expensive and the roof mounted or ground mounted "hatbox" systems must be aimed at the satellite "bird" in thd southwest sky with NO obstructions.

Cell delivered service just needs a strong signal (2 bars signal or better) for reliable service. (No wires, no modems or routers.)

We have received very reliable service from AT&T "The Phone Company" with a NetGear Cell/Modem/Router wireless router. This all in one router is less than the size of a pack of smokes. The device is considered a phone on our four line 10Gb account that has rollover service for less than $205.00 per month. All 4 folks may use the wireless device at the same time.

We get voice, data, email, streaming video and telemetry from our businesses about 98.02% of the time from 90% of North America. Cable or satellite can not beat it.

So, it is you choice. Like the guy behind the parts counter at the auto shop said, "How fast you want to go, how much money you got?"

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #10
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
Ok, high speed internet is a term that covers everything from grandma first gear to T3 light guide communications and beyond. But for most of us, we rock along at about a million and a half "bits" per second input from the Internet and about 350,000 bits going out. (Takes eight bits to make a byte and it took 729 bits to write this between the parenthesis), not including control characters and CRC checks.

Makes no difference if it's letters, colors, clicks, pixels or noises, it's all done in bytes broken down into bits. Just the way God or Al Gore , your choice, made the Internet.

So, if you want "high speed" internet in you AS you need to decide if you want it "fixed base" or "portable".

If fixed base it will take a wire of some sort. Either a coax cable, which most likely is already run from the street side of your AS to somewhere around the radio cabnet. Ours is in the galley under the table.

If the fixed base method is by phone wire connection (ADSL) again there will be a phone wire from outside to inside.

Regardless, these wires WILL connect to a modem. Modems ( MODulators DEModulators) come in lots of flavored. Some have a critter called a router within the modem box, others don't. Some modems have wireless radios built in to them. The end result is that you have a wire that connects from the Internet to you computer.

Unless you want to dive off into the dark side of local area or wide area network topology and TCP/IP communication layers, let's leave it at that.

So, if you want a fixed base system, plan on a wire running into your AS depending on what company you want to deal with. Some use coax (cable folks) some use phone wire. (Phone company)

Just remember that you need to disconnect the wire anytime you change locations and between camp sites you have no service.

If you go mobile based systems you must use the cell phone service or satellite based service. Each have their good and bad sides.

Satellite based stuff is expensive and the roof mounted or ground mounted "hatbox" systems must be aimed at the satellite "bird" in thd southwest sky with NO obstructions.

Cell delivered service just needs a strong signal (2 bars signal or better) for reliable service. (No wires, no modems or routers.)

We have received very reliable service from AT&T "The Phone Company" with a NetGear Cell/Modem/Router wireless router. This all in one router is less than the size of a pack of smokes. The device is considered a phone on our four line 10Gb account that has rollover service for less than $205.00 per month. All 4 folks may use the wireless device at the same time.

We get voice, data, email, streaming video and telemetry from our businesses about 98.02% of the time from 90% of North America. Cable or satellite can not beat it.

So, it is you choice. Like the guy behind the parts counter at the auto shop said, "How fast you want to go, how much money you got?"

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails.

Very helpful Jekerrville! My wife and I have been able to get service through AT&T for her Mac and my PC through her IPhone inside the trailer with a decent signal. What does the "NetGear Cell/Modem/Router wireless router" add to the equation?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
Hey folks,

Thanks for all the insight. The century link guy comes today so I'll update you with the verdict.

I will receive a modem in the mail and will run the inside cables myself from whatever I/O they supply. The outside of the airstream just has coax option, no RJ-45 presently.

I can use my hot spot from my phone when I'm not in my park but for now need more data as I'm hoping to start up an online business and travel WAY more.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
So it looks like I need to run a cat cable from the box behind out house into the airstream. The manual doesn't give any insight as to an external RJ 45 jack. I guess I'll have to poke a hole in the rig somewhere unless anyone knows if I'm missing something?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
by house I mean Airstream. That is my house.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Centurylink is most likely DSL which comes through the phone line. They will give you a modem which will most likely be connected to a PC or router with Ethernet cable. The modem may or may not have a WiFi transmitter. Either way, you can buy your own router that will give you WiFi in the trailer or let you hard wire other devices with Ethernet cable like printers etc. Some carriers use cable instead of phone lines which is better and faster but works the same way. The main thing is that you need to run a phone line or cable inside the trailer. Even my old trailer has an F-connector for cable. They may or may not use this to connect a cable modem. I expect your trailer already has an external phone jack they can connect to. You may not need to do anything.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #15
Classy Roscoe

Wink

It been flooding down in Texas, all the telephone lines are down.....except my Netgear AirCard 781S!

This little wireless modem, router, hotspot supports up to 15 WiFi connects using WAP2 encryption using the AT&T backbone.

What's different from your hotspot in your cell phone is that it is "dedicated" as a portable access point to the Internet. Thus all of the computing power is working toward communication and nothing else.

You can run a small office from one of these devices and it appears as just telephone on your multi line account and shares your plan.
At 10 Gigibytes of data, if you like to watch television a lot you will burn through your allotment quickly, but for business use it is very workable.

It will also directly connect to a small USB switch thus to hardware a small hard wired network if you choose.

Because, the device has external antenna ports on the base, along with the 12 volt charging port, you can direct the device to a tower if cell signal is an issue.

They are available thru Amazon of about $150.00 and come complete. Just take it to your local AT&T store and they will add it to your plan for about twenty bucks a month.

Disclaimer, I do not have blue striped globes for eyes but I do have a crush on the little girl in the AT&T ads.

Happy Trails
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote