Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Thomson , Georgia
Here I go....

Bought a 1983 Airstream Sovereign yesterday. We are building a home and intend to live in it for up to a year. Heres the kicker; The owner did not know anything about the camper (wife was there only), visually it is in very good condition; few cosmetics on the inside. All the manuals came with it. I was unable to hook up power, water, or test the propane and battery. The house site is remote and has no power, water, or septic. My thoughts are to purchase solar equipment until the power pole goes in.

I would like step by step guidance as to; what to do to the unit before I move it (Predicitive/preventative maintenance, what needs lube, how to check the battery, should I clean out the holding tanks? etc., I think it has been 2 years since used. One I park it that will be it so want to attend to as many things while in town with it.

Next; how should I chock it or park it and secure it for the year? What should be looked at under the camper? Anyone have experience adding a screen porch? Wondered how to do it considering the unique shape and if it should incorporate the awning?

Any assistance would be most appreciated. It was kind of crazy to buy it like this but the unit is so clean and well cared for I felt confident.

Thanks!

Becky Garrison
bgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You may be crazy, but you've got plenty of company here. Here's a short list:
1. Pull the wheels, inspect bearings and brakes, clean, pack, adjust, replace as necessary. If tires are checked or cracked replace them.
2. Set-up the tow vehicle: controller, umbilical plug for the trailer connector. Set hitch height for 19" top of ball to street. Do a functional test of the lights and brakes. A final check of the brakes can be made by checking the brake drums after a stop to see that they are all warm or hot. A cold brake drum means no brake on that wheel.
3. Check the LP system for leaks or have that done if you don't have the tools. Read the manuals for each appliance and become familiar with their operation and safety precautions.
3. Pressurize the water system and check for leaks. Check the pump and the filter.

You can block up the trailer to take the weight off of the tires, but you need to become familiar with the proper jacking points.

Details for all of this are abundant in the forums archives-have fun.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote