Old 11-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have had an AT&T phone for 13 years, and I say go with Verizon. My choice to stay with AT&T is because Verizon is not represented very strongly in this part of the country. From what I understand, though, Verizon is number one everywhere else. Verizon not being as big in the Mississippi market may be in part to a local, regional phone company with awesome rates, but not much coverage after you leave the south (C-Spire).

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I switched to AT&T about 2 years ago and will be going back to Verizon as soon as contract expires.
AT&T has faster internet speeds in northern Michigan but Verizon does not drop my calls or take 24 hours to receive a text.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

APPLETON , Wisconsin
I have AT&T right now and it's only because we get a discount on service plans from my current place of employment.

When this contract is finally up, I'll be switching to Verizon.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I get a discount at work, too- another reason I've stayed with AT&T.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
This is a loaded question as there are many considerations. Locality issues are one. In my area for years ATT has had the best coverage. Verizon was second fiddle BUT Verizon towers were powered the longest in the aftermath of a hurricane in 2004 when ATT towers went down. Point? Locally you will get varied responses from region to region. CDMA systems travel greater distance but also have singular use- voice or Internet but not at the same time, locked equipment and no Europe. This includes just about every carrier but ATT and TMobile.

You have to research your options for sure and most likely have a backup plan of communication is critical. Sprint has the most options available and I would recommend them as a backup for you using one of those pay as you use options like Tang. That way you also get tethering, etc. for really cheap OR Internet on the GO at Walmart where you pay WHEN you use it and loose no minutes, etc. The catch is the carrier signal strength. I would also purchase a cell phone signal booster with max antenna.

My first camping trip I had no WiFi or phone signal. After installing a booster and WiFi signal system (WiFi Ranger) I no longer have many issues using Sprint or ATT. One usually works at least.

Europe is GSM (ATT or TMobile) but then again, not all is happy. You have to purchase a phone that is compatible with various bands, etc. More research.

Sometimes the least route of resistance on something like this is to have multiple products. TO keep my costs down, I dropped ATT with my ATT iPhone when out of contract, joined StraightTalk with my GSM phone and now have unlimited talk, text and data for $47 versus $98 for 450 min talk, 1500 text and 2gb data. Get this, as soon as my phone activated I was right back on the ATT network! They use Verizon, TMobile or Verizon as their network partners. The support is not that good if you have to call but I do not call that often. I highly recommend them. You can bring your Verizon or ATT phone over to them. If you need to buy a phone it will be expensive (unlocked) but you will save in the long run. My new iPhone was $599 I believe rather than $299 for the subsidized price under contract. In a year's time though I save $612 for the service.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I am seeing the ads for a free phone if you sign a contract. Believe me they will have the cost of the phone back before a year is out if you sign. The real rip off is that it costs less than $250 to build that $600 iPhone. It is better to own a cheaper phone that does the job and pay as you go. A sim card for each area / country and off you go.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Those cheaper companies that use Sprint network offer a big advantage check out Tang.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I was a long time Sprint customer, and my wife long time AT&T customer. I had sprint from 2001 until 2010. After traveling the whole country with 2 friends, one Joe who had Verizon, myself on Sprint, and friend Brian on AT&T, Joe always had signal. I actually had second best on Sprint, but I was on roaming most of the time out west. Brian might not of had the option. This convinced me the summer of 2009 that in the future if I wanted to keep traveling to get Verizion.

We have since traveled all over this country, routinely. And I've found that Verizon is simply the best, most continuous coverage.

Now price factors and speed are another topic. But if you want signal about everywhere, my opinion is Verizon. Coupled with a Wilson booster and proper antenna and you are golden.

All that being said, I'm currently doing the happy dance for buying a grandfathered Verizon Unlimited plan.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Not sure of the current status but for a while Verizon was throttling back those with unlimited plans after a certain number of GB's. Might not be all you think it is.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Not sure of the current status but for a while Verizon was throttling back those with unlimited plans after a certain number of GB's. Might not be all you think it is.
They did briefly and now they aren't. They called it called network optimization, and they got slapped big time by the FCC for doing it. And they agreed to stop doing it.

Another thing they did was terminate all assumption of liability transfers on Oct 30th. We got ours right before that happened. So they've eliminated even more people from the Unlimited plan. Apparently there was a big spike when the iphone 6 came out of folks selling the plan and just leaving it for the new phone.