Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Heat in the view windows & the slide out cabinet under the microwave.

I have two questions on the 34'. Mine is a 1999 Excella.

1. There is a little floor cabinet under the microwave that has an built in slider type of bottom to accomadate maybe a pull out shelf. The shelf is gone, only the slider thing is there. Anyone know what really goes there? I thought it could be a great place for a skinny taller garage container.

2. I'm full timing at a park for a school year. The front of the TT faces west. The setting sun is a killer on heat. I have purchased and put in 4 sun guards for car windshields. It seems to help some, but boy it gets hot there. I opened the middle window cover up there slightly for air circulation and unscrewed the side tinted wrap arounds for the same reason. Any pearls of wisdom here?

Oh yes, thought of one more question..

3. There is a fan in the living area with a crank that when you turn it, the fan comes on. But really I don't see that is does much. Nothing like the great in/out fan in the bedroom. Could someone tell me about this?

Thanks!!! Incidentally you should see all the people who on their evening walks stop and stare at the A/S, some get brave enough to come talk to me and ofcourse they get the tour! Love my A/S!!

Anne
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in my trailer, the far right pull out is for garbage, the one to the left, i believe, is pantry storage. (canned goods)

yes, the ends sure do heat up don't they! i try to draw air in from the cooler side of the trailer. the factory fan sure does make i lot of noise without much pull. the light cover also increases the sound level. a Fantastic fan would help with the air but you would have to modify the lighting.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Remember, light is heat.

We are also full timing right now in Jacksonville, Florida. It's pretty hot here this time of year. We are using the silver reflective insulation (you can get this by the roll at Lowes) on the skylight (a biggie), the Fantastic fans, and all of the windows, except the kitchen. This really helps with the air conditioning. As we are camped in SuEllyn's Dad's yard, being able to see out of the windows is not a big deal. Being comfortable in this muggy heat is more important. The only window that we really need to see out of is the rear window over the dinette. On this we have a rock guard/awning that we have lined with the silver stuff. This is real easy to put up and down as necessary.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Great! Ricky, can I ask about what was the shelf for the trash cabinet made of? Mine is missing. The roller assembly is there, but no shelf. Could I just use a thin piece of something? It's a perfect place for trash, I thought that was it was for.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Yes I have learned very quickly how hot light can be. Amazing. By 9:30 a.m. I must close all the windows and draw the day blinds. The skylights are out of the question this time of the year. I tried to use my crock pot. Ha! WAY too hot. Now it is outside on a picnic table!

But can I ask about the wrap around windows. I unscrewed the sides in hopes some ventilation would help. So they are just sitting there partially opened. Should I leave them like that? I don't know about the weight on the other side hinges etc.... Just trying to midigate the west setting sun heat.

Thanks, AC
Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsa View Post
Great! Ricky, can I ask about what was the shelf for the trash cabinet made of? Mine is missing. The roller assembly is there, but no shelf. Could I just use a thin piece of something? It's a perfect place for trash, I thought that was it was for.

Thanks!
it isn't a shelf, it's like the pantry slide out except it is just a frame with a bottom. i can take a picture when i get back to the trailer............ in december
Old 09-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Yes, I went to Lowe's today and the whole assembly was available there. It comes complete with the plastic trash bucket. My size was $ 35.00.

AC
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
great!