Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #1

Clarksburg , West Virginia
Has anyone ever added on to their airstream

I have my airstream parked and I plan on leaving it where it is as a farm house. I need a little extra room so I was thinking about adding a little 12x12 building onto it that connects at the door. I jsut need some extra space to sit in and look out over the land. Has anyone ever done this and do you have any pictures.
Thanks alot.
wvairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
This person added a small vestibule. He may be able to give you more information.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...3&postcount=36
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, here's one in Seal Beach, Ca. It's hard to see and I couldn't get a better view, but the addition is an aluminum structure. [not the stucko building in the backround.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PETERSON MUSEUM 028 (Large).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	70753   Click image for larger version

Name:	PETERSON MUSEUM 025 (Large).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	70754  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Additions to trailers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvairstream View Post
I have my airstream parked and I plan on leaving it where it is as a farm house. I need a little extra room so I was thinking about adding a little 12x12 building onto it that connects at the door. I jsut need some extra space to sit in and look out over the land. Has anyone ever done this and do you have any pictures.
Thanks alot.
My father in law lives in a private park on Indian land smack dab in the middle of Palm Springs, California. I mention this because they are pretty much exempt from the planning department approval process for the city because it is Indian land.

As a result people have been able to be very creative about building "arround" a trailer. Most of the places started out as travel trailers that people then added a screen room to. As more people retired and started to live full time in the units the screen rooms got converted into additional living quarters; complete with bedrooms, bath, kitchen and dinning areas as well as living rooms.

Carports were also added. My father in law is the first to have enclosed his carport and put on a garage door.

He has completely remoded the place. It's beuatiful and he has less than $20K in the place including the cost of the trailer and existing structures which he purchased of $10K.

He has given us lots of ideas. When we tire of being on the road we want to have two places similar to his that we can use in winter and summer. We want to be able to use the trailer in each location. A pull through design so the trailer can be pulled in and out is utmost in our design.

We want a larger kitchen in the house, a guest bed room, a living room and dining room and sewing room. And, of couse, a garage for the truck and motorcycles that will have a large shop area for me.

We would like the trailer to be loaceted between the living area and the garage. And we want to have full hookups for the trailer in its "barn".

Our challage will be finding a place to do this without runnung afoul of the local planing authorites and their approval/permit process. We have no desire to live in a metropolitan area so that makes it a little easier but our task will be somwhat arduous, I fear.

Good luck, I think the only issue for you will be what the local authorites will allow you to do.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Does this count?

I don't know if this qualifies as an added to or taken away from
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS car.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	70802  
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Send a message via Skype™ to mamos
What about slide outs

Has anyone added a slide out the their Airstream

mamos
mamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamos View Post
What about slide outs

mamos

Now that would be some fun engineering....
They do make the slides but how about 3 or four of them.... You would have to start at the frame......

maybe one day in the distant future I will have to buy a gutted one and try it...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I like to say we have a 41' 2bed/2bath Airstream.

Guess you could call that "adding on" ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Tcpc

Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground is an Airstream only campground near Crossville TN. Most of the lots there have a shelter for the trailer/motorhome and some type of attached shelter (screened or open) for entertaining, cooking or sleeping. Many also have an additional detached storage building or gazebo. Their website does not have many pictures of the structures, but the page that has memberships that are for sale has a few. This should give you some ideas. You might also try to contact a member and see if you can get additional pictures. They will be closing for the winter on the 15th, so if you want to hook up with anyone, you should call soon

Home:

Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground

Memberships:

Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I love that Toronado Airstream.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamos View Post
What about slide outs

mamos
this past year, I must have had a half-dozen people comment on our slide... they'd say 'never knew airstream made a slide-out...'

couldn't resist messin' with the last curious camper... told him I took it to a specialty fab shop in orange county and had 'em mod it custom for me... I bought an Airstream, money's no object, right?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I like to say we have a 41' 2bed/2bath Airstream.

Guess you could call that "adding on" ~

Shari
We say that our Caravel has three bathrooms. One off the living room, one off the bedroom. and one just off the kitchen. There's one off the dining room too, but we don't tell folks about that one.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Craftsbury Common , Vermont
airstream vestibule from scrap materials

yeah I did pretty much that exact thing for $5.99, which was the price of the door hinges. everything else was found in scrap piles, including a 7'x7' floor and door with a window in it.

First we laid the floor in place and staked out the corners of the structure.
Then we cut down some appropriately-sized cedar trees (5"-7" in diameter), limbed them, cut them to length, and set them in holes at the corners of the shed-to-be.
Then we nailed horizontal pieces of wood between the corner supports to connect them, and added a diagonal brace or two. We then built the door frame out of 2x4s and stuck it in place. From there we just nailed scrap pieces of plywood and other materials onto the various cross-pieces until all the holes were covered. Just working with the materials we had. We used thin pieces of wood and foam to seal small cracks and holes. Got a staple gun for $9.99, best investment ever! Nailed some old roofing metal on the top and went up there with a caulking gun at least 4 times before all the leaks were plugged.

We definitely went by the philosophy of "Good Enough Construction," which is a pretty fun and stress-free way of doing it. Plus it leads to a structure with an improvised form and lots of character. it should serve its purpose for a few years at least, which is all we're asking.

We realized after building it that the airstream's step light conveniently lights the shed... and the propane furnace exhausts into the shed as well, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. It definitely smells like propane a little bit in there at the beginning of each blowing cycle, but on the other hand it traps considerable heat that would otherwise be lost to the outdoors.
I'll send some pictures of the inside of the shed if you're interested.
cmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If your furnace exhausts goes into the shed,

theres a good chance you will wake up dead.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
If your furnace exhausts goes into the shed,

theres a good chance you will wake up dead.
thanks, I'll keep that in mind... fortunately, though, the situation is not quite as black-and-white as your paranoid adage suggests.

we don't sleep in the shed, there is no significant exchange of air from the shed into the airstream, the shed is not airtight, we don't leave the furnace on over night, we leave a window open a crack, and we have a carbon monoxide detector in the living quarters that is rated to function down to -40°F.

see, you try to understand the potential problem, which is death by inhalation of air with a high concentration of CO, and then you use your innate human rationality to make sure that it's not a possibility. or... you can make all your decisions based on irrational fear and call it a day.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I don't think there's a need for the attitude. Sometimes, pointing out the obvious is necessary. Take the warning in the spirit that it was offered. Good luck to you and keep us up to date on your wintering adventure.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
yeah, sorry for the annoyed tone... we've just had lots of people (elsewhere, not on the forums) giving us condescending warnings about the downsides of our various decisions lately.

you are right though, my mind transformed a well-intentioned concern into "you're a careless idiot who is probably going to suffocate in the night" and I took offense. sorry.

it really wouldn't be too hard to redirect the exhaust outside of the shed, we just haven't had reason to believe that it's necessary. anybody else, feel free to chime in if you think it's a super bad idea. I promise not to jump down your throat.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I think it's kind of funny. An unintended "benefit". Keeps the firewood warm and the critters out, eh?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
TCPC Airstream Shelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reday View Post
Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground is an Airstream only campground near Crossville TN. Most of the lots there have a shelter for the trailer/motorhome and some type of attached shelter (screened or open) for entertaining, cooking or sleeping. Many also have an additional detached storage building or gazebo.

Attached are picts of our RV port, patio, and shed at Tn.Cumberland plateau campground.
Stop by and say hey (Lot 19).
Dennis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TCPC0022summer 08.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	71441   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCPC0004summer 08.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	620.9 KB
ID:	71442