Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
Hang my hat in Dallas?

Hello all!

I'm considering a two-year contract job in Dallas (Turtle Creek design district area). In stead of moving (it's not the right time to sell my home in Miami), I want to trade my 19 foot bambi for a 28 footer (i want a bedroom) and go fulltime in the Dallas area. Can anyone recommend a place to hang my hat and park my rig in/around Dallas?

Thanks!

Javier
(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Javier,
Someone here will surely be able to help you find just the right place in the DFW area. I believe there's an "Airstream Only Park" somewhere Southwest of "Big D" around the Hillsboro area. The park I have in mind has covered slots if I'm not mistaken. You may wish to consider a covered stall for your trailer especially in the Springtime around North Texas as the hail storms can be quite severe. By severe, I mean hailstones as large as oranges! While rarely seen this large, it happened to us one May and almost totaled our car! While living in Texas, we always stored our trailer under cover. The average size of the stones will probably be nickle to quarter size. Good luck with your decision to move and the hunt for just the right spot in The Metroplex.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hillsboro is a bit south -- North Texas Airstream Community -- and probably more than you'd want if intending to live in your Airstream. I'd probably look for an RV park closer in.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Javier
I live and work near downtown Dallas, and I just bought my first Airstream (72 Overlander).

There's not much, in terms of long-term RV parking, close to downtown Dallas (Turtle Creek is near downtown). As Bob mentioned in his post, Hillsboro is south of Dallas, and it can be a pretty long drive if you are commuting (between 60-90 mins depending upon traffic).

The Sandy Lake RV Park (near I-35E and TX-190 Bush Turnpike) is about 20-30 mins north of Dallas, but it's right on I-35, which is close to Turtle Creek.

Here are a couple other places around the area:

Treetops RV Village - A Carefree RV Resorts Property

Cedar Hill State Park
TPWD: Cedar Hill State Park

You may also want to read this article:
Best RV Campgrounds in the Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas Area - Associated Content

Best of luck with your endeavor!

Cheers
Allen
amitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We're from Dallas. I've posted several times on here about Sandy Lake RV Park. Just left the other day, in fact. You'll find that the best route into and out of Dallas is the Dallas North Tollway to the 190/Bush Turnpike. Avoid 35 except on weekends, and especially 635/LBJ Freeway. The Design District is close to plenty of good restaurants, and the Tollroad is between you and them.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote