Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Socorro , New Mexico
Thumbs up Great and not so great Florida Parks

We are a traveling family of four and have been in Florida for 3 months now. It is supposed to be the Sunshine State but has not proven so this year. Of course when you are from New Mexico, it is hard to compete. We have stayed mainly at State and County Parks, state forests, national forests and 2 private parks. We love the State Parks. Some of the best are Alafia, Big Lagoon, Highland Hammocks, Manatee Springs, Henderson Beach (gorgeous beaches), Blue Springs, Koreshan (great for historical perspective), Hillsborough River and Little Manatee River and Manatee Lake. Our favorite was Alafia due to the great staff and bike trails and volunteers. Koreshan could use more water pressure but that is very little to complain about.
As far as State forest go, you have to like rustic because they are hard to find and are not designed for travel trailers although most have water and sewer. You have to look for them because I promised the locals I would tell anyone where they were : )
Ocala National Forest has great national parks. We enjoyed Alexander Springs tremendously and visited Salt Springs which looked nice.
I personally did not enjoy the private parks. They were overpriced and had no privacy. I definitely would never recommend Natures Coast RV park. They didn't like our camper on the truck so instead of telling us they didn't allow it, they took our money and then told us we couldn't use the camper. Let's just say our 75 Airstream and truck didn't fit their style. Oh well, it is always better to leave a place you are not wanted. Their loss, I say!
We have a few days in Bahia Honda and I am sure it will be beautiful by all accounts if we can get some sun..Looking forward to traveling another state. The Meanderthals
dancepancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Florida parks

Hi, nice info on the Florida state parks. We're like you - we like the privacy of the state parks.

We're heading to Florida in April to visit family, and have booked space at the Big Lagoon, so its nice to know that it was one of your favorites.

Have you tried Ft. DeSoto park near Tampa (Pinellas County park). My brother in law says its great, and we booked 5 days there - wondering if you've seen it?

On your trips, did you happen to find a nice park near Baton Rouge LA? We need a place to stay, but haven't found anything close (just searching online right now).

Karma your way for the post!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hey Dancepancha/Meanderthals and Tin Diesel--Love those names!!

Thanks for the post/thread. We are planning a trip to FL for next winter, and will surely check out some of the state parks, and national forests you both mentioned. Looking forward to reading about more great family places to camp in FL! Happy travels!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Steph, if you have any intenerary start planning now. Most of the parks in FL are booked through April. I tried to get into John Pennekamp in Key Largo. Booked until April 15th.
A comping report on the keys is coming.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
You have to try Fort Desoto Park. If you make reservations you can get a great waterview site...either sunrise or sunset views...depending on your location. Go to their site Fort DeSoto Park for a great view of each site. They actually have a photo of each site available for you to view. This is a county park(Pinellas), the rate is $28.00/night. They hold approx 25 sites for weekend walk ins. You have to be there early Friday morning(4:30am) if you do not have a reservation to get a 2 night min. weekend. Some people book Thursday night and wake up early to wait in line for the weekend. Be advised, you may have to move from one site to another if you do this, but once they give you a weekend site, you may be able to extent your stay. Lots to do near Ft Desoto if you like the water.

Steve
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Fore Lake Campground is a treasure. Run by the forest service in the Ocala National Forest. Located on hiway 314 just off hiway 40 out of Ocala. It's cheap and has no hookups but has water and a dump station. Nice beach and fishing pier.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancepancha
We are a traveling family of four and have been in Florida for 3 months now. It is supposed to be the Sunshine State but has not proven so this year. Of course when you are from New Mexico, it is hard to compete. We have stayed mainly at State and County Parks, state forests, national forests and 2 private parks. We love the State Parks. Some of the best are Alafia, Big Lagoon, Highland Hammocks, Manatee Springs, Henderson Beach (gorgeous beaches), Blue Springs, Koreshan (great for historical perspective), Hillsborough River and Little Manatee River and Manatee Lake. Our favorite was Alafia due to the great staff and bike trails and volunteers. Koreshan could use more water pressure but that is very little to complain about.
As far as State forest go, you have to like rustic because they are hard to find and are not designed for travel trailers although most have water and sewer. You have to look for them because I promised the locals I would tell anyone where they were : )
Ocala National Forest has great national parks. We enjoyed Alexander Springs tremendously and visited Salt Springs which looked nice.
I personally did not enjoy the private parks. They were overpriced and had no privacy. I definitely would never recommend Natures Coast RV park. They didn't like our camper on the truck so instead of telling us they didn't allow it, they took our money and then told us we couldn't use the camper. Let's just say our 75 Airstream and truck didn't fit their style. Oh well, it is always better to leave a place you are not wanted. Their loss, I say!
We have a few days in Bahia Honda and I am sure it will be beautiful by all accounts if we can get some sun..Looking forward to traveling another state. The Meanderthals
Dancepancha,

Please say hi to the Owl when you get back home. Went through San Antonio and Socorro on my way to Death Valley this past November (awesome green chili cheeseburgers).

But I digress - see if you find your way to Fort Desoto at the tip of St. Pete - a true find, particularly if you can get a site on the water (most are). If you do any canoing or kayaking, you are likely to be paddling with dolphins. Great bike/running trails as well. Oh, and the beaches are rated #1 in the country by some.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Steph, if you have any intenerary start planning now. Most of the parks in FL are booked through April. I tried to get into John Pennekamp in Key Largo. Booked until April 15th. A comping report on the keys is coming.
Thanks Michelle, great advice, I'm already planning. Michigan has me trained to do 6 months in advance for state parks by the water,and now Florida's got me doing 12 months. I know it will be worth it! Can't wait to read your take on the parks!! Thanks again to all who posted about Florida campgrounds we make lots of decisions based on forum members' reviews of campgrounds and have not been disappointed!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Be sure to try Top Sail Hill State Park RV resort in Santa Rosa Beach. It is one of the nicest RV parks anywhere.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I live in a Tampa and we stay at Ft. Desoto a few times each winter. It's always booked solid but well worth the effort if you can get in.

Another great park for nature lovers is Kissimmee Prairie Plains SP which is nowhere near Kissimmee FL. It's just north of Lake Okeechobee and in the middle of nowhere. It has water and electric hookups. Be sure you don't forget anything since the nearest store is 30 or more miles away.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Grayton Beach State Park is also another great Florida State Park. It is located about 30 miles west of Panama City on the ocean. It has about a half mile of pristine beachfront. It is also directly on Western Lake which provides great kayaking and canoeing. In the last couple of years, they have added about 30 new RV campsites that have sewer drops at the sites.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Grayton Beach State Park is also another great Florida State Park. It is located about 30 miles west of Panama City on the ocean. It has about a half mile of pristine beachfront. It is also directly on Western Lake which provides great kayaking and canoeing. In the last couple of years, they have added about 30 new RV campsites that have sewer drops at the sites.

Brian
I've only been to two Florida State Parks but Grayton Beach was one of them, and I'd recommend it if you like somewhere quiet to stay. We were backed onto the lake with a site that was well screened from our neighbours. The bath house in the older section was a little tired but perfectly functional and well used. The beach is wonderfully unspoiled and my first experience of the Gulf Coast. The contrast between the State Park beach and the built-up stretches to the east and west couldn't have been greater. It was at Grayton Beach that we also met the friendliest campers and we did a bit of European bonding with a family from the Netherlands.

When we're back on the Gulf Coast, it'll be Grayton Beach for us.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I've only been to two Florida State Parks but Grayton Beach was one of them, and I'd recommend it if you like somewhere quiet to stay. We were backed onto the lake with a site that was well screened from our neighbours. The bath house in the older section was a little tired but perfectly functional and well used. The beach is wonderfully unspoiled and my first experience of the Gulf Coast. The contrast between the State Park beach and the built-up stretches to the east and west couldn't have been greater. It was at Grayton Beach that we also met the friendliest campers and we did a bit of European bonding with a family from the Netherlands.

When we're back on the Gulf Coast, it'll be Grayton Beach for us.
Steve, if you make it back to Grayton, give me a call. We live about two miles west of the park.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
MOST of the Florida State Parks are truly outstanding, and we've hit most of them over the past 7 years or so. Our favorites vary with the season, but we love the beachfront camping of the east coast as well as the ones in the Keys. Snowbirds keep us from visiting them until mid April unless we plan it out a year in advance, so typically the only available state parks we can visit in the winter (best time to camp here) are up in the panhandle.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
St Joe State Park has the best secluded beaches I have found. It is also not just a plain old beach. The park has some 3rd dimension to it with the dunes and inland areas. There is also a bay side to the peninsula.

I have stayed at Oleno State Park and there are some nice trails for biking and hiking there. There is also canoeing not far away at nearby Ichetucknee Springs. There is paved bike path between the two parks. I road some of it when I was there and mountain biked some.

I have stayed at falling waters but mainly used it as a pit stop. It is probably a good place to camp if you have been on the road all day.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Steve, if you make it back to Grayton, give me a call. We live about two miles west of the park.

Brian
I will be back, although not in 2013, and I will call - couldn't miss the famous Moosetags, could I?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
MOST of the Florida State Parks are truly outstanding, and we've hit most of them over the past 7 years or so. Our favorites vary with the season, but we love the beachfront camping of the east coast as well as the ones in the Keys. Snowbirds keep us from visiting them until mid April unless we plan it out a year in advance, so typically the only available state parks we can visit in the winter (best time to camp here) are up in the panhandle.
I envy you the ability to camp in the winter; we're a teacher household so are limited to the summer months for longer trips. Our trip to the Florida State Parks was in July and August and the campgrounds were not full because yes, it's too darned hot. My poor, North European body took a battering in that heat I can tell you. Still, it was an experience and we'll be back to sweat a few more pounds off in the years to come.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
We just spent a couple of nights at Ft Clinch State Park on the north end of Amelia Island and it was fantastic. Cleanest bath houses I've ever been in regardless of the facility. Proximity to lots of sights, shopping and restaurants is an added plus. To snag a state park opening this time of year you have to check the reservation website constantly before you can scoop up a cancellation.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
I've been to Tomoka State Park near Ormond beach and it was beautiful. Private, quiet, clean, and water and electric! Couldn't even see the site right next to me with all of the vegetation. Kayaking on the Tomoka river and close to the beach. That's the only one I can speak for though, only visited Florida once while camping.
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
We envy Moosetags. The Panhandle has become a magnet for my family. We particularly like Saint George Island State Park. not only does it have a 12 mile beach but also