Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
St Joe State Park has the best secluded beaches I have found. It is also not just a plain old beach. The park has some 3rd dimension to it with the dunes and inland areas. There is also a bay side to the peninsula.

I have stayed at Oleno State Park and there are some nice trails for biking and hiking there. There is also canoeing not far away at nearby Ichetucknee Springs. There is paved bike path between the two parks. I road some of it when I was there and mountain biked some.

I have stayed at falling waters but mainly used it as a pit stop. It is probably a good place to camp if you have been on the road all day.

Perry

Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Steve, if you make it back to Grayton, give me a call. We live about two miles west of the park.

Brian
I will be back, although not in 2013, and I will call - couldn't miss the famous Moosetags, could I?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
MOST of the Florida State Parks are truly outstanding, and we've hit most of them over the past 7 years or so. Our favorites vary with the season, but we love the beachfront camping of the east coast as well as the ones in the Keys. Snowbirds keep us from visiting them until mid April unless we plan it out a year in advance, so typically the only available state parks we can visit in the winter (best time to camp here) are up in the panhandle.
I envy you the ability to camp in the winter; we're a teacher household so are limited to the summer months for longer trips. Our trip to the Florida State Parks was in July and August and the campgrounds were not full because yes, it's too darned hot. My poor, North European body took a battering in that heat I can tell you. Still, it was an experience and we'll be back to sweat a few more pounds off in the years to come.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
We just spent a couple of nights at Ft Clinch State Park on the north end of Amelia Island and it was fantastic. Cleanest bath houses I've ever been in regardless of the facility. Proximity to lots of sights, shopping and restaurants is an added plus. To snag a state park opening this time of year you have to check the reservation website constantly before you can scoop up a cancellation.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
I've been to Tomoka State Park near Ormond beach and it was beautiful. Private, quiet, clean, and water and electric! Couldn't even see the site right next to me with all of the vegetation. Kayaking on the Tomoka river and close to the beach. That's the only one I can speak for though, only visited Florida once while camping.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
We envy Moosetags. The Panhandle has become a magnet for my family. We particularly like Saint George Island State Park. not only does it have a 12 mile beach but also
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hit the wrong button. But also is close to a beach community where you can get a pizza or fresh shrimp . The community of East Point is home to really hard working oyster fishermen and Apalachicola has beautiful historic homes and some fabulous restaurants serving fresh oysters. Great cycling trail from the campground to town, quiet bays for your canoe or kayak, and a quiet hiking trail through a pine forest adjacent to the campground. Jim
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
state parks

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Rainbow Springs or Anastasia St. Park. Both are FABULOUS. Lots to do and see at those places.

I would stay away from Pennekamp...they pack you in like sardines and the next rig's sewer hookup is underneath YOUR awning!!!! EEEWWW! (We were there summer before last, and won't be going back!)

Drive a bit farther south and go to Bahia Honda.....that's a nice park and close to Key West....a great day trip!

Have a great time!