Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Good grief, about to go FT!!

Aug. 1st is my drop dead date. I'm going FULL-TIME!! I'm in the process of selling everything that I own (scary), except the stuff that I am taking with me, which is only light weight things that I will actually use!

Headed North and Northwest, out of this unbearable heat and HUMIDITY! Headed up the Lewis and Clark trail, Wyoming, Montanna, Idaho and eventually to Oregon. Probably will then swing South down through CA and AZ and Winter in dry Southern NM.

Any advice, warnings or words of encourgement?

Bill
Old 06-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
Any advice, warnings or words of encourgement?

Bill
Good luck, and we'll be behind you by a few months.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Go with your heart; ride with the wind, have a wonderful time.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice. 31' should be more than enough. I'm rather envious you can do it!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Good luck, have a great time, we hope to be doing that in a year or two.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Bill,

May your travles bring you peace, truth and happiness!

FT 7 years now.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Mountain Directory

You don't mention if you've traveled in the west before - I live in UT and travel mostly in WY, MT, CO, ID, and SD. There are high elevations and steep roads out here, and some of them you can get into trouble if you don't know what is coming when you select your travel route. There is a book that lists and describes these roads, published for truckers and and RV drivers. I find it is very accurate - there is one in WY that the locals call the 'Oh, My God' hill - I will not drive that again in just my truck without the trailer. There are plenty of roads that aren't a problem, and some of the best places seem to be in the mountains, but it's good to know what is ahead.

Here is a website where you can check out this book and see if it's something that would be helpful:

Welcome to Mountain Directory

You should keep a travel log and post pictures for the rest of us to envy - wish I was doing what you are going to do.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
advice

Please blog or start a thread! I want to hear all about it. Congratulations.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
welcome to the roaming crowd.I plan on spending some time in NM this winter. Maybe I will see you there. I will be in Boise for the next three months. stop by and say hi!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Fulltimin'

Good luck, Bill. I second "keep a travel log" & take photos for us to see. Drive defensive and by all means, take the road less traveled!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
When you get to New Mexico, we're between Santa Fe and Albuquerque in the high desert mountains with lots of wide open spaces around us and courtesy parking with electric and water.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Bill:

It should be a great adventure.

If you haven't already, you may want to look at the Escapees organization which is a support organization for fulltimers. Their web site is Escapees RV Club – the club for all RVers They also have a good forum. I've been researching fulltiming for five years and recently joined the Escapees even though I have a long time to retirement. They have a "birds of a feather" group of Airstreamers.

Good luck!

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Wow, so jealous. It's my dream to some day set out for a few years on-the-road. Although I don't know if I could sell everything. I agree with everyone that it would be fun to read your travel blog. Good luck and godspeed!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #14
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD
You don't mention if you've traveled in the west before - I live in UT and travel mostly in WY, MT, CO, ID, and SD. There are high elevations and steep roads out here, and some of them you can get into trouble if you don't know what is coming when you select your travel route.
Thanks for the heads up on the steep roads. I really had not given it much thought, but I will now. I had planned to stay close or actually on the US Interstate system. And, when I venture off the beaten path for sightseeing, especially in the Mountains, I will park the AS and just be in my Suburban with no trailer in tow. I'm not sure just how that will work, but that's what I have in mind right now. I used to live in Oregon and I pulled a 17ft SOB around a bit, within the state. Also I have driven a loaded 25ft truck across the US coast to coast, via I40, so I have a little road experience on steep slopes. I will definitely look into getting that Mountain Directory. Thanks, Bill
Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just an idea, but before you get rid of everything, put it in storage for a month or two, and stay in a more or less local campground. That way, you will be able to tell what you really need, and can go back and get it, without having to buy something you threw out last month. After a couple of months, you can then safely contact Salvation Army for disposal, or have a big garage sale.
We are more or less doing the same thing now, our extra "stuf" is in a storage unit, and we have found we need some stuff we would have tossed, and have no use for stuff we thought we couldn't live without.
Also, you may as well toss that Sam's Club membership card, there's no room for a case of peanut butter in your coach...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Just an idea, but before you get rid of everything, put it in storage for a month or two, and stay in a more or less local campground. That way, you will be able to tell what you really need, and can go back and get it, without having to buy something you threw out last month.
TOO LATE!! It's almost all gone. I have had garage sales for 2 week-ends in a row (4 days) and I am sick of them. Ads in the paper, eBay sales and give aways, and I just dumped some things in the trash can. This is HARD work for a single guy! I kept most of my tools and some power equiptment and will take some hand tools and small power things with me and the rest will be in storage in the basement of a relative.

I will tell all of you who are thinking of going FT RVing.....deciding what to take with you and deciding what to get rid of......and then the getting rid of it is very hard work and very time consuming....and nerve racking. When I get all this done, I will need a REST!! Remember, you cannot start ridding yourself of STUFF too soon. Think of how long you will need....and then double it!

I'm beginning to feel a hint of LIBERATION! Bill
Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Bill,

Can't wait!! We start full timing in a few months. I remember the packing and sorting, garage sales, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, I got rid of a couple of things we now need, but can make do in other ways.

Good luck and keep us all in the loop.

Marie
Old 06-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Good for you Bill. It's a huge step that I hope is everything you wish for, but one that is reversable if things don't work out. Good luck,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Bill, we think alike!

My wife and I are taking an extended trip west to escape the Alabama summer heat. We aren't selling all of our stuff just yet, though.

One thing I would mention, is that if you are looking at visiting Yellowstone...it's VERY crowded in the summer. We are having trouble finding decent reservations there.

We've started a blog to document our journey.

The Honeymoon, Part 1

Best of luck to you!
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #20
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
going, Going, GONE!

After working a year on "Elvira", the AS, getting her in good shape, ready to travel, I never thought that getting ready to go FT would be so stressful!

Actually, I had not planned to go FT, until just recently. My idea was to maintain a homebase here in Cullman to come back to from time to time. But then after reading a book "Basic RVing" and another one "Full-Time RVing", by Bill and Jan Moeller, I started looking at the COSTS and liabilities of maintaning a "homebase"!! The costs are rediculas if you plan to be gone 2 years or more!

I looked at all options.......storage of everything, buy/rent a smaller house, sell some/store some, etc., etc. NOTHING was financial appealing; hence, my decision to sell everything! So, Im selling everything.......except some hand tools.....you know, the good stuff to have.

But, frankly I was not prepared for the stress of ridding yourself of all the "stuff" you have accumulated over a lifetime!

However, I'm feeling better now. Looking forward to hitching up and going. And, I hope to meet some of you nice folks out there somewhere!

Bill