Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
Color me jealous, I'm hoping to find a good engine shop in a few years and getting away from the military contract game where I'm gonna be on a five year cycle of constant insecurity
rufus11381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
Smile the one year anniversary

We have a Reese hitch dual cam (which is for the sway bars). It has served us well. .....and we have never popped a rivet. We pull the 28' with a Ram EcoDiesel 1500
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
Well unfortunately we have come to the conclusion that for now the smart choice is to get a tow vehicle and go with a fifth wheel for the ease and simplicity of towing and the cost effectiveness of the space.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
However I still want to be a part of this community, seems like lots of good folks here and a lot of good knowledge about rv's in general, you folks have helped immensely already
Old 11-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
Dear Rufus and honey, we are starting our third winter in A/S. Our 34' has been modified for full timing. Such as our twins are now a a queen bed. Finally. We also put temper pedicure-style toppers on top. We are sleeping so well now. We took out the front gaucho and had a custom cabinet built-in. That was the first change and we have never regretted it. We completely changed the kitchen and today we started changing the dining. So my advice is we love our a/s but have changed it (modernized) it for our comfort and convenience. Don't be afraid to change it to suit yourselves. We are retired in Myrtle Beach on the beach and are loving it. There are camping places that are not on top of one another and are not noisy. You just have to talk to other campers and keep looking. One change we made was adding a tankless hot water heater. And a dishwasher. And we have new Fantastic fans. All of these are great updates.
Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
We're definitely looking forward to it, learned a lot that will help us in the rv over our last 3 years in the boat, lots of system and hardware crossover. It's gonna be great.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You'll run into a lot of other full-time families on the road too. It's a great experience.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Just a lot of folks make the same decision you just made. The fifth wheel rig is very spacious for the cost, and fifth wheels (or goosenecks) are more stable towing.

We Airstream nuts like the uniqueness, iconic shape, history, and longevity of the unit. I think it is similar to the classic Harley Davidson motorcycle. Harley's are iconic and have a rich history too, especially the patented sound; "patato, patato, patato" at idle. But there are other choices for comfortable touring on a heavy cruiser motorcycle.

We hope to see you browsing around Air Forums where you can learn about living full time in your RV, where good parks are located, good routes to take, tow vehicle experiences, and lots of other fun stuff. Air Forums is the best website I participate in. And I participate in two others! What a judge.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
Thanks db it's good to hear, we went to camping world gulf breeze yesterday and learned a lot, we actually really liked the new jayco eagle 26.5 fifth wheel they had, they've really stepped up their game apparently because the quality was great especially considering the price