Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Fulltiming at North Texas Airstream Community

I was wondering who on the forums may fulltime or have spent a season at the North Texas Airstream Community in Hillsboro Texas.

Any input on the community of Airstreamers and the facilities, as well as the weather and economic opportunites of the area would be greatly appreciated.

Also any other suggestions for affordable year round seasonal rate parks?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Top of Georgia. It is a beautiful location and very affordable.

Top of Georgia Airstream Park
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I saw those pictures and was very impressed and have only heard fabulous things about the park. A few considerations I have is how cold does it get through winter and is it close enough to shopping areas where I could likely pick up a job at one of the stores? Gasoline prices requires having to work very nearby. I will have no other income.

photography
Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Lots or tornadoes? Hail? How about flooding?

Quote:
The 21 tornadoes in two days equals the number of confirmed
tornadoes in the WFO Fort Worth County Warning Area for all of the
calendar year 2010. While the data remains preliminary... there
have been 27 confirmed tornadoes in 2011 across the 46 counties in
WFO Fort Worth County Warning Area.

photography
Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
The big batch of storms you read about passed one valley over from the park. Power was out for a couple of days. The park is about 5 miles north of Helen, GA which is a big tourist town in the summer. Unicoi State Park is also nearby with a lodge which may have work opportunities.

The average high in January is 51 or so. It does snow occasionally, but quickly melts. Lows do get below freezing, but generally not below the upper 20's. I have lived in GA for 7 years now and the lowest I recall was 16 on one night and set an all time record.

The nice thing in the winter is the lack of midwest grey skies (I moved here from Chicago) The prolonged overcast thing just doesn't happen here.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Ntac

I have not lived there, but I have spent three rallies there along with a number of single night stays.

NTAC facilities are excellent. They recently upgraded the Terraport into a first-rate facility. In addition, there are lots that can be rented with hookups.

Good meeting room with wifi. There is a pretty constant rate of game nights, luncheons, dinners out, outings, etc. They have a website (I used to be the webmaster) with details. The population are a bit long in the tooth.

The town is one of the poorer towns in the state, but very friendly. College is a long walk from the park and good meals can be had at the cafeteria there. Nothing in town is very far from the park. Fuel WalMart, etc. is perhaps a half mile. Dallas-Fort Worth are within maybe an hour.

Not sure about the job situation in that area.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Lots or tornadoes? Hail? How about flooding?
Tornadoes are fairly rare, but possible. There have been some pretty bad hail storms over the years; a friend has a trailer that was hail damaged there. Flooding is not an issue.

There may be some lots with coverings that could possibly be rented. The one time I was there when hail threatened, I simply moved the trailer temporarily under a roof where the owner was on the road somewhere.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
I was at NTAC for several days just this past weekend, staying on a very nice lady's courtesy parking (a vacant lot with full hookups) - which BTW just happens to be for sale as it is no longer needed. The residents at NTAC couldn't be more friendly, often coming over to introduce themselves during evening walks or invite you to potlucks & other activities. Some few open lots and villas are for sale, some very reasonably priced. If interested, I'd call the office & ask a few questions.

Jobs?? There is the usual bunch of nation wide franchise food places, but there is also an outlet mall to consider. Also a a small college if that is an occupation you may be qualified to look into. Hail is a definate possibility, but that's also true many places.

NTAC is a favorite spot for the Snow Birds coming down for the warmer winters.

Disclosure: I have no ownership position at NTAC, yet. It's on my dream list tho.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Tattoo

Hey Whitsend,

Good to see you finally displaying that handsome tattoo! Good mtg you at the Grasslands last month. You need a tattoo of your tow vehicle on the other arm now.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Back at ya Tin!! Really enjoyed putting a face with the name, and sooo glad the real face ain't the one in your avitar!! That guy is scary!!

Yes, I love the tat. Can't explain the why tho. As you saw, I had it put up high on my arm so it isn't all that visable. For some reason, it's a private kinda thing. But then I put it up as my avitar? Go figure??

Tow vehicles . . . . They come & go. I have liked my F-250's, TONS of room & comforts. But Ford's torque converters really suck. Don't ask :-( Hopefully the Cruiser will stay with me for a lifetime. If folks can be planted in theri Cadillac's, can we be put under in our Airstreams's?

I hope to see you & your bride at the vintage rally at Glen Rose, TX on May 12th or 13th - whenever you can make it?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
You may want to look at Travelers Rest in Dade City Florida. Travelers Rest was originally an Airstream only park. Today the park is still about 40% (my guess) Airstream.

You can buy a share in the park for as low as $3,400 and the full year lease is approximately $2,700 not including electricity. Travelers Rest is only about 45 minutes to Tampa.

Good luck in whatever you decide doing.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Cloud , Minnesota
I have spent two recent winters at NTAC. The people are great as is the low price. I spent much of my time driving around the area. I loved it; others seem to want more excitement. I would have returned this past winter except for the cold weather, winds, rain and snow we had a year ago.

Minor quibbles:
WiFi is only reliable in the immediate clubhouse area.
The hydrants used for the water standpipes are not designed for drinking water use; whenever I had to shut off the water (on cold nights) I ended up with dirt in the water when I turned it back on.
I believe that the snow bird rates are only available to WBCCI members.

I plan to stay there again, just not for the full season. Spring and fall are beautiful!
JamieEllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for all your comments. I think I should visit all three of these Airstream parks after all the rave reviews. The plan now is to head to Kentucky to work at Amazon early this year, in the next couple to several weeks from now. Then after the holiday peak season is over I'd like to go South, rather than back North in January and get some travel in and scope out the prospects of Southern living, sunshine and warmer temperatures.

photography
Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Carol we just loved Top of GA we stayed there for winter in 09 best park we have ever been at we would get up in morning and just go out and see the area the falls, the AP trail old home steads, even the Bears we would have wild Turkey walk under our awning in morning just a great place with so much to offer I think we paid like 172 a month enjoyed the small town of Helen with Xmas parade and good people try it you will like it, Oh last time we talked we did not do Amazon last year but maybe this year they keep e mailing me to go to Ky
Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
INVITATION TO VISIT

One of our NTAC members just advised me of your post. We would love to have you visit the North Texas Airstream Community. If you have not visited our website it is www.ntaci.org . It has information and "Winter Texan" rates plus many, many pictures of the Park. If you have more questions you can contact me directly at: jdhaddaway@juno.com or call the office at 254-582-5566.

In answer to your interest about part time jobs, Hillsboro has a population of 9,000 so it has many businesses plus an Outlet Mall. Several of our residents work in the community. Also, WACO is only 30 miles away. It is a major metropolitan city.

Jim Haddaway
NTAC President
Derbycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbycity View Post
INVITATION TO VISIT

One of our NTAC members just advised me of your post. We would love to have you visit the North Texas Airstream Community. If you have not visited our website it is www.ntaci.org . It has information and "Winter Texan" rates plus many, many pictures of the Park. If you have more questions you can contact me directly at: jdhaddaway@juno.com or call the office at 254-582-5566.

In answer to your interest about part time jobs, Hillsboro has a population of 9,000 so it has many businesses plus an Outlet Mall. Several of our residents work in the community. Also, WACO is only 30 miles away. It is a major metropolitan city.

Jim Haddaway
NTAC President
Welcome to the Forums, Jim - it is helpful to all of us when folks post with good info like you have done.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up Best Values for Southern Destinations

Jim H. thank you for the invitation and those super links to the web site! Airstreams parks seem the coolest dynamic for Airstreamers. I am so glad there are places like this especially for us to enjoy and to plan to visit, and to even stay longer. I am anxious for the opportunity. I would love to be a winter Texan and experience first hand that wonderful hospitality you all are well known for. Thank you kindly and I hope many more will pencil in NTAC as a destination on their must see list as well.

Scorpiontimo your holiday season at Top of Georgia also sounds magical. Well then why not, with all those silver belles to ring in the new year? I would love to hike the trails and see the falls and wildlife too.

photography