Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Fulltiming - 2 Adults (?) + 8 Dogs - Almost 2 years.........

Back again- still laughing through this fun experience - determined to NEVER be 'conventional' again )) Would I go back?? NO x 10. Am I enjoying myself? YES x 1,000,000 then some. Can I make adjustments??? You Betcha!!!!!

The Airstream is a great home - I'm making some minor modifications - changing floors to accomodate the dogs - changing A/Cs for when we're stationary. We've now experienced temps from sub zero to +100 and we've been as comfortable as any and all our friends/family who live in 'stick and brick' houses. Living at our business has proved wonderful - both convenient and good for our customers and has cut our expenses seriously - and the dogs are earning their 'watchdog' designations )) We have a private yard, fountains, and feel like we're camping in our own private campground........which was my absolute favorite thing to do and now I'm doing it all the time ))

The heat this summer instigated our installation of two small window units - one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. They fit easily in the windows and will come out when we want to move. We made brackets so there was no damage to the windows - and even closed them in with clear plexiglass. I didn't want to add fulltime stress to our overhead Carrier - which will probably need replacing since that company is no longer manufacturing RV ACs. Lowes did the trick with 5,000 + a 10,000 BTU units that keep us quite chilly if we choose. I admit that when it's 100+ outside, I like it around 78........and they do the trick.

We removed the loveseat and recliner and replaced them with two leather recliners across the front. Yes, we have NO room to spare - Yes, they had to come apart to come in the door - but they sure feel good - and when I hit that power recline button, I'm in heaven. We also added a 'juice bar' and are juicing produce everyday - being healthy is good too )) We switched the Dometic Fridge for a Whirlpool - more space..........and are about to redo floors - but I'm still undecided on which way to go.

People always comment that they would love to do what we're doing. I know the economy prompts some of those responses - but I also think part of it is the fact that our lives are so 'less complicated' than theirs. We have more 'free' time - and feel like we're more 'free'. Our home has wheels - .

We are leaving the Airstream stationary - when we travel we use the SOB (Holiday Rambler). Considering that there's two of us and 8 dogs, we aren't cramped. We're organized. The dogs are happy too. And, I'm still shedding 'things'. All those 'things' I thought I needed - ........... what was I thinking??? I'm even learning to buy fewer groceries ))

Jan - in Springfield, MO -
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
COOL! I don't feel so bad about 5 cats and 1 dog in an '29 footer if you have 8 dogs!! I am glad to here it is working for you! I put Commerical VCT tile flooring in my trailer and it has been great with the animals, I can easily sweep out all the fur, and it kind of gives a "retro" look.
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
I'm interested - what is 'VCT flooring'???

What kind of dogs and how big???

We hav ewo +100#rs (Doberman & Giant Schnauzer), 1 Standard Schnauzer and one standard schnauzer sized, 3 minis, and one toy all schnauzers. I put in crates where the dinette was - now it's pup-condos. Our kids really do good - they're all on a 'schedule' )) Little ones out together - then bigs and mediums out together - and all get their own 'special' time - works for everyone. I do grooming one week a month - one a day except for the last day when I do two )) Makes for an interesting life )

I've looked at some natural slate floors with epozy grout. I know it's heavy but it really works for pups and there is a lot of texture. I'm still looking at some industrial stuff - I do want something that I can sweep and damp mop.

Jan in Springfield, MO
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
One medium sized lab mix! VCT floors are the ones that you see in Grocery stores and walmart, but it looks cool in the trailer, kind of retro! I crossed the patterns to give it a different look than a big box store, so far, although it hasn't been long, I forsee this stuff lasting.

I have some pictures in the photos section: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...0&userid=66942
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote