Old 11-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
The size trailer is personal preference. We love a 34', it tows like a dream with the proper TV, I never have trouble parking. They actually back better than shorter models. I've watched many people buy too small and trade for more room. If I were interested in a 34', I would only ask advice from people who own 34s.

WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #16
_

. , .
a 34 is certainly NOT too much space for 1 person and i've yet to get LOST inside mine.

it's basically UNDER 200 sq ft 1/2 the size of many studio apts.

mild weather and pleasant locations mean using the OUTDOORS to expand the living space, a real bonus.

a full time rv budget is just like a full time stick house budget...

with different categories that drain the piggy bank.

there are SEVERAL books on rv living which cover the budget issue (search the bezos river')

and MANY rv sites go into great detail on this topics...

here's a few threads and LINKS inside ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ing-19312.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...get-27388.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ons-31983.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ers-36380.html

if U R under 65 and want health insurance it's important to sort out this issue and the expense...

it will matter as much or more that the UTILITY bills for heating/cooling the stream.

here's a couple of thread on the SIZE issue, with MANY links buried inside to other good threads.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...buy-40383.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ads-41744.html

u might want to visit the 'escapees' website there are a LOT of resources and wisdom posted there for full timers...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Something to think about.

Hi, I own my house and my trailer. I don't full time yet, but we have thought about it. As for cheaper, I think my house is cheaper. When we hit the road, depending on how far we drive per day, I could spend $100.00 per day for gas alone. Then there are the campground fees at $25.00 to $55.00 per day. I have heard of cheaper and much higher, but haven't been in them yet. Natural gas for my home is way less than two propane tanks on my trailer. In really cold weather we went through one tank in three days. That's about two months worth of gas in my home. I can do some work on my trailer at home; I can't even wash my trailer in a campground. If you only plan on staying in one or two places for the year, I'm sure it would bring some of the costs way down. You can stay in one place with a house. I have to pay rent where ever I take my trailer, but I don't have to pay rent for where my house is. I don't want to discourage you from your dreams, I only want you to consider all of the options. I think most people will agree with me and several who might not, but my personal opinion is to limit a half ton tow vehicle to 25 feet or less. Compromise; buy a small house and a small trailer with a proper tow vehicle.

GOOD LUCK.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
WOW! thanks everyone for your advice ! i wont be going with the 34 foot because i have re-thought what i want to do.
if i do this i plan to move when the weather changes to where i need ALOT of heat or ALOT of air conditioning. LOL.
in other words...... when i cant leave the windows open all the time for fresh air.

i dont really expect to be moving around alot. maybe 3 or 4 times in a year.... or maybe less.

i still wish i could afford both a house AND an airstream but i cant. its one OR the other. i am really leaning towards the airstream. LOL

thanks again for your comments. this is SUCH a great site !
Old 11-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
Hi Annie .. my hubby and I just bought a 34ft will be doing fulltime in it. So far it is just fine.. We own a house but the monthly upkeep on it is 4500 a month. We were both truck drivers and just some bad luck came our way and being fulltime is the best option. You don't have to go to truck stops with the trailer but you do have to look at the place your pulling into to make sure you can get out.. for us it is a breaze because we pulled 53ft trailers for over 20yrs well hubby had that I jiust had 9.. remember one thing if you go with a AS if you stop at truckstops try to park up front as the Truck Stops are not safe .. hubby had a gun held to his one night.. saw a guy get beat up pretty bad then you have the friggin lot lizards and they will rob you. Plus their fuel is maj of the time higher. We are on a real tight fixed budget so it seems it is working we have plenty of room the little hall way is about the same width as the semi had and the bunk of that is really small like the bed is a twin bed. On the top I had a little kitchen with a toaster oven,george foreman,microwave and other stuff. the closet was about 24 inches wide and had 2 drawers but we had 30 days worth of clothes and food,water... we spent 4 days out of 3 months in that house but now that things went bad we can't afford it and chose to do what we had planned when we were to be 60 just doing this 10 yrs early
You will love it as everyone says you can move if you don't like the neighbors as you are not stick in one place... you can spread your wings
Good luck to you in what ever you decide to do...but I vote for the airstream
Old 11-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingbooks View Post
We just started full timing is a 34 ftr but there are 2 of us. We're on a fixed income but so far we've been able to stay with in our budget. Haven't needed to boondock but just got a generator so that may be in our future. We just paid for a month in a park in Tucson, AZ and it was $469 with water and power included, also wifi. Thats a big saving for us as our house payments were $900.

Anne Marie
Exactly. When we first started traveling extensively, we kept track of every penny spent, then relaxed a lot after the first few months. 2 years later, we spend less now than we did in the beginning.

We don't view boondocking as a last resort, but as an opportunity to stay in a beautiful spot near water (our favorite), at a scenic overlook, etc., just because we can. That these stays are also FREE just helps the budget all that much more.

There is really a rather exhilarating feeling to being completely self-sufficient, too, and we think it is important to perfect that part of the travel lifestyle. You never know when you might need it.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
We have been fulltiming in our 27 for nearly 2 years now. We moved from a 1200 square foot house to the airstream and have not looked back. We live in Alaska in the summer and "down south" in the winter. Our Fall and Spring schedule is left open to accommodate moves if we want some change of scenery.

It is cheaper living in the Airstream for us even with the travel schedule. We work during the summer and do some temp work in the winter if we feel like it.

Finding places that offer monthly site rent or work for a site is the key.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
You might consider 'Land Yacht Harbo'r in Melbourne Florida. If you own an Airstream and purchase a share of stock, you would pay approximately $750 annually. The first year there is an admin fee. Included in the $750 is water/sewer, lawn mowing and wifi. You might want to look at their website. A great deal - sorry no pets.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #23
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
If you want to explore the costs of full timing, check out this site. www.rv-dreams.com. They travel in a fifth wheel but they post all of their finances and budgets on line so you can get an idea of what to expect. They also work part time as camp hosts which means free parking and some income.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
F/T in My 34'

I'm into my third year full timing in my 34' Excella 1000 and I love it. I do stay in the same location year round and here in Austin, Texas it is absolutely necessary to have AC in the summer and this past summer (the hottest ever recorded here) my electric bills ran around $150/month. Painting your roof white with Kool Seal will drop the interior temp around 10 F if you're parked in the sun and I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend Fantastic Vent Fans if you're trying to go natural as much as possible, and I use mine exclusively whenever they can keep up with the heat load. Over the winter I use less than 200# of propane for heating and cooking. I really like the room that I have in my trailer (for just me and my old cat) and the extra storage space is really welcome. I could probably live comfortably in a smaller trailer, but since I telecommute for work I've got the front end dedicated as a home office and I lose the multi-function ability of that space and so the 34' is just right for me.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I'm into my third year full timing in my 34' Excella 1000 and I love it. I do stay in the same location year round and here in Austin, Texas it is absolutely necessary to have AC in the summer and this past summer (the hottest ever recorded here) my electric bills ran around $150/month. Painting your roof white with Kool Seal will drop the interior temp around 10 F if you're parked in the sun and I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend Fantastic Vent Fans if you're trying to go natural as much as possible, and I use mine exclusively whenever they can keep up with the heat load. Over the winter I use less than 200# of propane for heating and cooking. I really like the room that I have in my trailer (for just me and my old cat) and the extra storage space is really welcome. I could probably live comfortably in a smaller trailer, but since I telecommute for work I've got the front end dedicated as a home office and I lose the multi-function ability of that space and so the 34' is just right for me.

WOW! cool Crusty ! i LOVE your area and thats one place i plan to spend a few months if i do buy an AS for a home. i want to be as close as i can to Lockhart so i can get my jaws around that wonderful
BBQ at Blacks LOL MAN! lockhart is ground ZERO for the best BBQ in the world. ( at least to me it is)

thanks for your suggestions about the vent fans ..... but i can promise you that by the time the temp gets ANYWHERE NEAR 100deg i will be long gone. LOL

i love all your suggestions... thanks again.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
If you want to explore the costs of full timing, check out this site. www.rv-dreams.com. They travel in a fifth wheel but they post all of their finances and budgets on line so you can get an idea of what to expect. They also work part time as camp hosts which means free parking and some income.
thats a great suggestion... i will check it out. i am making lists of everyones suggestions. thanks !
Old 11-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

WillyD..... not sure i will be going to florida but thanks for the idea. i will keep that in mind.

Deauxrite ..... living in Alaska for the summer sounds great.... how do you get up there? do you take the highway thru Canada?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Annie, I find that I use my fans between 95 - 60 a lot. Just keeping one or both of them on low when it's cooler keeps a nice gentle breeze moving through the trailer as well as exhausting the stale, smell laden air and it really increases the overall comfort level inside. Even in the wintertime I'll turn them on for a few minutes to change the air without losing too much heat inside. After having used them for a while I consider them to be an absolute necessity now.

If you can arrange things to be here during the spring, I don't think there's a better place in this world to be because the climate is just wonderful before the big blast furnace gets switched on sometime in June. Black's has especially good BBQ'd chicken, Kreuz's Market in downtown has some really good smoked prime rib, as well as the sausage at Chisolm Trail and you're right about Lockhart being a town that knows good BBQ, though the dinosaur ribs at County Line, the pork ribs and prime rib at Rudy's, and the flame grilled NY strip at the Oasis in Austin shouldn't be overlooked.

Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote