Old 05-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Molde , Romsdal
Fulltimer advice needed

Hi everyone!

I live in the Romsdal region of Norway.

I've become more minimalistic over the years, and I want to try something else than living the a4 life.

Here in Norway almost everyone own their house or apartment, and they who don't want to. Some people rent, but it's a big tradition to own. We got through the financial crisis without noticing, and property prices has raised every year.

So alternative living is not common here.

I want a little bit simpler life, but I also want my small luxury needs...
First I was thinking of living in a cabin, but it's expensive. A cabin in good shape and ok size will cost from around 300 000$.

I've also been thinking of what we call a Landhouse, it's basically a cabin on wheels, you get them for about the same price as a Airstream, but they need special transport to move.

For the first time, we now have a official Airstream importer here.
There'only three models for the European marked, the 534, 604 and three versions of the 684, (standard, studio and the 685).

I'm looking at the 684 Studio, studio because I do some work from home.
They're expensive, from around 110 000$, You can get 2 or 3 sob's for the same price. But I've not found anything I liked except from the Airstream.

Since I'm single at the moment maybe I could manage with a 534 or 604.
If I go for the 604 and 684 I'll need a bigger car. That's not necessary a problem, but it will cost more.

Due to work, I'll be mostly stationary for the first years.

I'm new to Airstream, so I'm looking for all kinds of advice and recommendations.

We have cold winters here, and I'm not sure what's the difference between the US and Euro models. What are the US counterparts for the Euro models?

I've also red that AS is more high maintenance than other brands, ant that corrosion is a problem, the same with freezing water. Any experiences?

Also would be nice to hear from full timers, and specially from full timers in Europe.

Any recommendations, thoughts and advise is appreciated!

Hufse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"
1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I full time in a 25' (7.5m) near the 49th parallel. But I also have a small barn that the trailer is in.
I would think it not possible to full time in Norway as it's too cold unless you can do as
I am doing.

Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Currently Looking...
Molde , Romsdal
Hi Del!

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe your right.
I don't live in the coldest parts of Norway, here it is usually between - 10 to 5 Celsius (14 - 41 Fahrenheit) in the winter, some years it gets colder.

I'm not sure, but I believe the Euro models use different insulation than the US models. Euro models uses Rockwoll, and the US models still use the pink fiberglass insulation.

The Euros also have water heating under/in the floor, not sure about the US models.

Frozen wastepipes and water tank could be a problem.

The importer is very, and I mean very, enthusiastic about getting Airstream to Norway. Guess I've to ask him to calm down and ask him some critical questions on how an Airstream will hold up in a Scandinavian winter.

More advice and recommendations out there?
Hufse is offline   Reply With Quote