Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Fulltime RV Living: Illegal?!

It just doesn't stop.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
https://ditchingsuburbia.com/blog/hud-not-rv-illegal
Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Hard to listen too, made it 3 minutes.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Is the video a leftover from April 1st?
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Thanks Overlander - Just because you see it on the internet don't make it so.

Just to add some meat to this thread and make it a bit more interesting.

My mother lived outside a small town in Kansas. The local zoning ordinance at that time did not allow mobile homes to be permitted as living space. Now, you got to understand this is farm country. Wheat fields, pasture, dairy operations, weeds, rusted barb wire fences and falling down barns as well as deserted homes are the norm. A mobile home would be nice to look at in comparison.

So one thoughtful guy submitted a permit for a barn. It was approved and he built the barn. Guess what he stored in the barn. Nice place to keep a mobile home dry and warm.

Innovation is a good thing. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Is the video a leftover from April 1st?
I think it may be, like, that young lady's attempt at making a video for her freshman "communications" class. Like, you know, like? Like, like? Maybe there's a point in there somewhere, but, it's like, hard to find, you know??

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
H----U----D pronounced HUD
uh, uh, uh

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
She has a follow-up video in which she corrects some of the misconceptions that she had fallen for. Check youtube under pippi peterson, full-time rv living, part 2.
Lynn
Old 04-14-2016, 05:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
She has a follow-up video in which she corrects some of the misconceptions that she had fallen for. Check youtube under pippi peterson, full-time rv living, part 2.
Lynn

Too late, some things once said can not be undone.😱
Old 04-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
That was SO painful to watch. I'd rather watch a 30 minute cat video.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Like, I'm thinking what did she say?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I may be wrong (often are), but my understanding is that HUD's proposal, if it passes, attempts to bring "park models" up to the standards and codes of "manufactured homes" with respect to safety. Not sure if the intent is to actually include RV's, because even when I read the original proposal it was not clear to me if, or when, they were actually making a distinction between the two.

More of our government getting involved and making regulations where none are needed, but that's only my opinion an worth just what you paid for it.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Maybe HUD is seeing a trend in a shift in housing as many move into affordable housing such as park model homes, tiny homes and RVs. If HUD feels too many people are living full time in RVs then they will put new regulations on the RV industry. Sorry you can't live full time in your Airstream because you are living in a structure not built to code.

The governments (fed, state and local) are making it harder to full time too. Affordable Care Act, licensing of vehicles, safety inspections the list goes on. I feel all the forms of governments are trying to force everyone to be in a stick and brick structure so they can collect more taxes from us. No wonder she over reacted.

Kelvin
Old 04-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Maybe HUD is seeing a trend in a shift in housing as many move into affordable housing such as park model homes, tiny homes and RVs. If HUD feels too many people are living full time in RVs then they will put new regulations on the RV industry. Sorry you can't live full time in your Airstream because you are living in a structure not built to code.

The governments (fed, state and local) are making it harder to full time too. Affordable Care Act, licensing of vehicles, safety inspections the list goes on. I feel all the forms of governments are trying to force everyone to be in a stick and brick structure so they can collect more taxes from us. No wonder she over reacted.

Kelvin
Kelvin, you may be right. I wonder, however, if this is actually put in play, and enforced, how many people will actually become homeless?

What is their plan for making sure homelessness is up to code?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

There are lots of issues, not just our freedom.

#1 Sub par insulation, translates to larger carbon footprint.

#2 Law enforcement likes to know how to " reach " us.

#3 Folks who worked hard for a beautiful home don't want to live next to a trailer.

#4 Fear of people dumping improperly, to save money.

#5 The increased number of fulltimers, could cause problems.

#6 Job security for HUD employees, that need to justify their existence.

#7 Yes, all kinds of lost tax revenues.

Not saying that I would support regulations, or that I agree with all of these reasons…..but the old saying, " A few bad apples "
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Try to cut the lady in the video a little slack.

She is a full timer who shot from the hip, probably out of fear.

She has put many really nice, fun, and informative videos on youtube.
She is usually charming, and is a talented Belly Dancer.

But yeah…Youtube has enabled anyone, to publish anything, and become a "film maker". Much like Facebook has made millions of people experts on politics, and this forum made me an expert on everything.

I am making this video, um because like blah blah blah for ten minutes, Sorry that I haven't posted videos in a while, because I had a flat tire, and um, I will be making a separate video about that. So I am gonna go ahead, and go ahead and um like, but before I do I want to thank all of my viewers, and if you like my videos, please go ahead and click "Like " and subscribe.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I think it is a reaction to the Tiny House movement. A lot of folks (at least on the various television shows) are building 300 square foot, self-designed and engineered homes on a trailer chassis. A lot of them look ridiculously top heavy (and heavy in general) with pretty much no attention to safety. You also have to wonder about the quality of the workmanship.

I suspect a lot of local and state governments are looking hard at how and where all these folks propose to homestead.

We might get caught up in some unintended consequences but I don't think any of this is aimed at the RV community.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Full timing doesn't mean you have to stay or do stay in the same place.
How would they track someone?
How many days a year would be considered full time?
I would not be surprised if local zoning authorities come up with a way to prevent full timing in something less than 800 square feet. The Feds and States already limit our stay to 14 days in national parks etc. Not sure if there is a limit on BLM land. Look at Burning Man and other similar places.
The question is. How would one fight it if it did happen?
Where will all of these Tiny Houses go? Once the fad has run it's course.
I have always wondered why someone would spend the money on a Tiny House when for the same money or less they could have a pretty nice 5th wheeler to live in full time. Plus if you ever decide to move it. It would be much easier than a Tiny House. Some of these Tiny Houses I see could fly apart going down the road any distance at all.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The Feds and States already limit our stay to 14 days in national parks etc.
True, but as a weekend camper I appreciate this. It makes it a little easier to get a reservation

In my area we have a lot of lovely Corps of Engineers parks with deeeep discounts for seniors. Camping @ $12 for seniors is a great perk but long term stays in these sites would make it harder for the rest of us to get find open sites.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

TG said...

"I would not be surprised if local zoning authorities come up with a way to prevent full timing in something less than 800 square feet."

They already have. Many municipalities zoning laws state a mobile home has to be at least 50 feet long. ( That prevents RV living ) Some require house to be 1000 sq feet.

My town prohibits garages facing the street and clothes lines. They also limit the height of detached garages so you can't make a room above it, and rent it out. The garage also has to be the same color of the house.

Some towns make provisions and allow primary health care givers to live in a tiny home in the backyard their patient.