Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master
There are lots of issues, not just our freedom.

#1 Sub par insulation, translates to larger carbon footprint.

#2 Law enforcement likes to know how to " reach " us.

#3 Folks who worked hard for a beautiful home don't want to live next to a trailer.

#4 Fear of people dumping improperly, to save money.

#5 The increased number of fulltimers, could cause problems.

#6 Job security for HUD employees, that need to justify their existence.

#7 Yes, all kinds of lost tax revenues.

Not saying that I would support regulations, or that I agree with all of these reasons…..but the old saying, " A few bad apples "

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Try to cut the lady in the video a little slack.

She is a full timer who shot from the hip, probably out of fear.

She has put many really nice, fun, and informative videos on youtube.
She is usually charming, and is a talented Belly Dancer.

But yeah…Youtube has enabled anyone, to publish anything, and become a "film maker". Much like Facebook has made millions of people experts on politics, and this forum made me an expert on everything.

I am making this video, um because like blah blah blah for ten minutes, Sorry that I haven't posted videos in a while, because I had a flat tire, and um, I will be making a separate video about that. So I am gonna go ahead, and go ahead and um like, but before I do I want to thank all of my viewers, and if you like my videos, please go ahead and click "Like " and subscribe.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I think it is a reaction to the Tiny House movement. A lot of folks (at least on the various television shows) are building 300 square foot, self-designed and engineered homes on a trailer chassis. A lot of them look ridiculously top heavy (and heavy in general) with pretty much no attention to safety. You also have to wonder about the quality of the workmanship.

I suspect a lot of local and state governments are looking hard at how and where all these folks propose to homestead.

We might get caught up in some unintended consequences but I don't think any of this is aimed at the RV community.

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Full timing doesn't mean you have to stay or do stay in the same place.
How would they track someone?
How many days a year would be considered full time?
I would not be surprised if local zoning authorities come up with a way to prevent full timing in something less than 800 square feet. The Feds and States already limit our stay to 14 days in national parks etc. Not sure if there is a limit on BLM land. Look at Burning Man and other similar places.
The question is. How would one fight it if it did happen?
Where will all of these Tiny Houses go? Once the fad has run it's course.
I have always wondered why someone would spend the money on a Tiny House when for the same money or less they could have a pretty nice 5th wheeler to live in full time. Plus if you ever decide to move it. It would be much easier than a Tiny House. Some of these Tiny Houses I see could fly apart going down the road any distance at all.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The Feds and States already limit our stay to 14 days in national parks etc.
True, but as a weekend camper I appreciate this. It makes it a little easier to get a reservation

In my area we have a lot of lovely Corps of Engineers parks with deeeep discounts for seniors. Camping @ $12 for seniors is a great perk but long term stays in these sites would make it harder for the rest of us to get find open sites.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master
TG said...

"I would not be surprised if local zoning authorities come up with a way to prevent full timing in something less than 800 square feet."

They already have. Many municipalities zoning laws state a mobile home has to be at least 50 feet long. ( That prevents RV living ) Some require house to be 1000 sq feet.

My town prohibits garages facing the street and clothes lines. They also limit the height of detached garages so you can't make a room above it, and rent it out. The garage also has to be the same color of the house.

Some towns make provisions and allow primary health care givers to live in a tiny home in the backyard their patient.