Old 11-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Full Timing in Trlr w\pealing Clearcoat

.................I spend alot of time perusing the FS Airstream ads here and on other sites and it seems that the current owners will either state that the CC is Not pealing or make no reference at all . Since I will be trading a stickbuilt house for one on wheels my trailer won't necessarily be protected in a building ...OR...under a cover . So , when my home does sell is it essential that I look for a trailer with a CC fully in tact or can I F\T in a trailer with some pealing CC and not have to worry that the exterior skin will start leaking at some point ??? I've looked at A\S's made in the 80's and they didn't show any signs of moisture migrating to the inside of the trailer . thanks , r66

route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
route 66,
IMHO Clear coat peeling is a appearance item. It should not affect the water tight integrity of the unit. To me properly sealed windows, roof vents, plumbing vents and AC units are much more critical. BTW my Airstream prefers to call it APB...Airstream Pattern Baldness

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The durability of Airstream coating (in the 80's Plasticoat) seems to vary from year to year depending on how well they did the job that year. There were some formulation changes from time to time also. It also varies on where in the country the unit spent most of its time and how it was exposed to the Sun. Clear coating of any type are hard to make completely resistant to the Sun. But like the other poster said "It is only an appearance thing." It has no effect on integrity of the unit. Purists can always spend lots of money redoing it (P&S does a great job) or lots of time making it into a mirror.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, r66,

I agree that Airstream pattern baldness and leakage are two separate issues. If APB led to it, I'd be sloshing in mine.

Noneternal sealant and the nonrigid necessitiy of a semi-monocoque floating frame on chassis design that ensures endurance are the factors that should be considered.

My trailer has advanced APB. I could do something about it, but I just extend the awnings and don't worry about it unless I find a leak.

Then it's warfare!

Thanks to this forum, I know what to check first. It all depends on the model of the trailer.

Fortunately, my Excella gives me little to worry about with its hip-mounted running lights and double pane windows with their very visible seals, but I do need to get on top next year and do some maintenance. (Vents, vents, vents, and checking the rear end joint for security.)

And If I can't find a Skyliner antenna that will mate up with the existing (and working) other parts in between the skin, I'm going to remove the ineffective batwing antenna and go with a pair of rabbit ears outside. I think that a dipole antenna that needs an amplifier to work for local signals is a bad joke. This is an example of how the design has *not* advanced.

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
.................Certainly appreciate the informed responses guys . I've been trying to read every thread in all forums concerning full timing , rivet problems , longterm care and maintenance , etc. This is done in lieu of actually buying a trailer because as you'll already know an UNinformed consumer can be a very expensive state of mind . When I sell my home I've got to transition into a trailer in short order or waste money on renting another stick built home . So , the more educated and knowledgeable I become on AS's actually purchasing "ONE" the greater the probability I can differentiate between a marginal trailer and a well maintained trailer . I'm not interested in buying a trailer in need of repairs nor am I looking for a summer project .
.................That is why I am so Appreciative of this forum and all the help of current Airstream owners who are willing to impart your knowledge that prepares the "lookers" like me to make smart , educated choices . thanks , r66
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote