Old 04-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Richibucto , New Brunswick
Full timing in the great white north

Hi everyone, I've just joined the forums because I have a dream and a million questions. So lets start with the full timing ones.

I am looking to buy a used Airstream and renovate it so that I can live in it full time. Living in New Brunswick might make that a bit difficult because our winters can be long and harsh. Thus far the best compromise I've come up with is to buy the trailer and renovate it, move it onto some land where I will build a nice bright strawbale structure that the trailer can stay in during the winter months. Eventually this structure could become a strawbale home or just stay as a barn, at the moment thats undecided. SO my question is whether anyone has experience of winter living in a proper winter and whether I am asking too much of an Airstream to realistically be my home when its -20C outside and there's 4ft of snow everywhere. Or should I just plan to head south for the winter like the old folks do ;-)

Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
hankyknot. First are formost welcome to the forims from a fellow canuck.
I have done exactly what you are asking about. I full timed in mine for 7 yrs.
Extra steps had to be taken to protect the water line feeding the trailer and heat that line as well. I also had to insulate and heat tape the sewer line.
I built a skirt from 1" thick rigid styrofoam and applied foil bubble insulation to the outside of the styrofoam to add an R factor and also to hide the pink. I used two 150 watt halogen work lamps placed under the trailer. The skirt was foil taped to the lower edge of the trailer to lkeep the heat from escaping. The bottom edge of the skirt just sat on the ground and once the snow was deep enough I shoveled it against the skirt igloo style. I was toasty warm all winter.
I was in a campground so power, water and sewer were available so I don't know how you would do this on vacant land.
The straw idea is not a good one. First you will attract rodents and once the straw gets wet and it starts to rot heat is generated and it may spontaneously combust.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Maybe a big, like 30', geodesic dome would work.

Of course if you were going to use straw bales for insulation you'd keep the moisture out so they don't spontaneously combust.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Richibucto , New Brunswick
Hi Chris, thanks for the info about wintering in Canada I was hoping it would be possible and bearing in mind that people live in a lot less in other places round the world I was sure it would be do-able.

As for the straw, its really a great idea and you've fallen into the same trap as most people whenever I mention it. Straw is just the stripped stalks and as such has no food value so it doesn't attract rodents the way hay does. Also the bales would be stacked and then covered inside and out with a lime/clay plaster and the roofline would have large eaves to protect the walls making moisture a minimal concern. Also being densely baled it makes the straw virtually fireproof, like trying to burn a telephone book. When bales burst into flames on farms its the loose straw and straw dust around the periphery that catches fire then as the bales collapse they lose their density and oxygen gets in and hey presto, combustibility.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
hanky', Airstreams are 2 season trailers. Some were produced with thermal pane windows years ago, but almost all have single pane windows and only 2" of fiberglass insulation. That insulation is not installed all that well and heat and cold are readily conducted into the trailer by the ribbing.

People winter in them, but it is a lot of work to get it set up right. Straw bales can be effective walls if sealed well. The key to good insulation is to reduce air (and mouse) infiltration to a minimum. Just piling them up is not all that effective.

There are 4 season trailers made. One is Arctic Fox and there was a company in Canada that made them, but I believe it failed due to the Great Recession.

Of course, you could bury the Airstream and use the ground as insulation but sewer would be a problem.

Gene
Old 04-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankyknot View Post
Or should I just plan to head south for the winter like the old folks do ;-)
Yes, you'll be "old" eventually, might as well get into practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OP, Bess.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	128725  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"Airstreams are 2 season trailers. Some were produced with thermal pane windows years ago, but almost all have single pane windows and only 2" of fiberglass insulation. That insulation is not installed all that well and heat and cold are readily conducted into the trailer by the ribbing."

This is what I've been wondering about. We're looking to be full-timers when I retire in 2015, and I've always liked Airstreams. It sounds like maybe we ought to drop the Airstream from consideration, especially with the limited storage space.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I meant to type "3 season trailers" although some complain the A/C isn't strong enough in temps over 90˚, so maybe they are 2 season.

Gene
Old 05-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's one on skirting:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...eam-20597.html

And here's a link to the sub-forumon winter living in an AS.

Good luck, "Y fait frette en hiver Nouveau Brunswick!" as they say...