Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
I full-timed in a 24' SOB for a little more than 18 months with no issues at all. I know that the 24' SOB was technically 6 feet longer than your Bambi, but considering the very poor utilization of space, it was probably equivalent. I am quite certain that I could live out my remaining days in something with the layout of my 27FB with no problems whatsoever. My lovely bride wants a bit more "stuff" however so we probably won't be hitting the road full-time for a while yet.

Like others have posted - It's all in what you get used to and decide is acceptable. I promise you that humans can adapt when required. All it takes is the right mind-set.

Have fun!

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner61 View Post
I full-timed in a 24' SOB for a little more than 18 months with no issues at all. I know that the 24' SOB was technically 6 feet longer than your Bambi, but considering the very poor utilization of space, it was probably equivalent. I am quite certain that I could live out my remaining days in something with the layout of my 27FB with no problems whatsoever. My lovely bride wants a bit more "stuff" however so we probably won't be hitting the road full-time for a while yet.

Like others have posted - It's all in what you get used to and decide is acceptable. I promise you that humans can adapt when required. All it takes is the right mind-set.

Have fun!

Wayne
thanks Wayne,

yes, the more i read what everyone is sharing here, i am re-thinking my original floorplan. instead of the pull out bed i'm thinking a permanent bed in the front so i can still keep the full bath in the rear as originally planned.

thanks again everbody for all the input...and photos.

happy Labor Day!
Sandra
drsbeddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We spent 3 months traveling in a converted Chevy Van on our honeymoon back in the day and just had the time of ours lives with the bed on the floor, a Coleman gas stove and a 120 pound dog. A few years ago we bought a 19' Bambi and I then I started dreaming about something bigger. Enough! I began thinking like a backpacker and re-worked what we took along, how I prepared meals and the bedding. Then I started to lose weight. It was amazing how must easier it was to manage with less stuff in the airstream and less weight on me! I'm keeping the Bambi and continuing with Weight Watchers for me and the Bambi!

Regards,
Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
We spent 3 months traveling in a converted Chevy Van on our honeymoon back in the day and just had the time of ours lives with the bed on the floor, a Coleman gas stove and a 120 pound dog. A few years ago we bought a 19' Bambi and I then I started dreaming about something bigger. Enough! I began thinking like a backpacker and re-worked what we took along, how I prepared meals and the bedding. Then I started to lose weight. It was amazing how must easier it was to manage with less stuff in the airstream and less weight on me! I'm keeping the Bambi and continuing with Weight Watchers for me and the Bambi!

Regards,
Caryl
Hi Caryl,

thanks for sharing your story. keep up the great work with Weight Watchers. it is crazy what these little trailers will make you do....

smiles,
Sandra
drsbeddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
If you do the 'travel everywhere' thing...keep in mind that there are people out there who perceive us as idiots because we choose to live this way-fulltime. Make sure strangers you might have to meet know that you mean business. Especially if you are in REDNECK territory. Have established friends and connections wherever your destinations are at. Keep people out of your house!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Windcrest , Texas
I "commute" from Germany to Colorado a few times a year for 2 month at a time. I live in my 19Ft. Bambi. Being by myself I find it to be comfortable. The only problem I have encountered is that I seem to sit in the same place all the time watching tv and it has worn down the dinette seat in that particular spot. The other 3 seats are still brand new. I hate looking at that so I move my ars around now to evenly wear the seat. Kinda dumb but true!
Silver Dolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #27
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsbeddor View Post
hi there, two years ago i fell in love with the Airstream travel trailers and then subsequently with the airstream life style and the people. last year i bought my first AS, a 58 Traveler '18. i have traveled in it enough to know that i love it. but, my ultimate fantasy is to one day go on the road full time and see the "world". however, i do not see anyone full-timing in an 18' or less. so my question is...has anybody out there ever done this?

thanks,
Sandra
Sandra,
I went for the larger end of the spectrum. I spent three years in my trailer.
The permanent queen bed and "full size shower" made this doable for me. I tend to collect stuff so the 31 footer was perfect. I managed to put 2000 lbs of stuff water, black and grey water into my trailer. I don't tend to travel light.
Travel light and you can do it in a smaller trailer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Go fer it!