Old 09-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #1

San Francisco , California
Red face Full-timing around the Bay Area?

Hello Forum. Absolute noob here.

First off have to say after lurking around these message boards for quite some time I have to say how impressed I am with the civility of this online community. Cheers everyone. I’m excited to become a part of it.

I’m wondering if anyone has advice on where to find a long term place to park a 25’ Flying Cloud in the Bay Area for full-timing?

Unfortunately have to commute into SF daily so hoping to find a place not too far away.

Any info would be massively appreciated as I’m at the very beginning this new chapter.

Hans

H4N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33 on order

Box Elder , South Dakota
Buddy stayed at San Francisco RV Resort a couple of years ago. Hold on to your heart when you check rates. Other spots in Half Moon Bay

ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
You might try Craigslist and local message boards.
A while back I saw a space for rent in "The City" next to a gas station with water, electric and sewer hookups.
Best of luck.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Pillar Point RV at Half Moon Bay is easy to get into and allows you to stay for up to 30 days. You'll have to move out for a day and then come back for another 30. Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton is also a nice place to stay with a similar policy.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Be careful of "impromptu" sites in any urban area. There are going to be rules and regulations that apply to things like a full time RV. It is not uncommon to find people trying to avoid fully complying with these rules, but still rent out a site. Unfortunately the RV owner often gets caught up in the resulting enforcement excitement.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sacramento , California
Pillar Point in HMB does not take reservations but I have never had a problem getting a spot on Sundays, and since it's unreserved, once you're in you are free to stay 30 days without any hassles. It would probably be very easy to full-time there, and just take a weekend trip once a month. It's not cheap (I paid $84 a night) and Highway 1 becomes a parking lot on weekends due to weekender traffic. BUT it's got fabulous ocean views, access to town on really nice bike trails along the beach, and it's only 45 minutes from downtown SF.
shucklemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:06 PM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Living in an RV in a stationary location certainly poses quite a different set of problems/issues compared to full-time travel. One thing to consider is... RVs are designed to move. Batteries, tires, brakes, bearings, propane, shore power, fresh water tank, waste tanks, etc. are all intended to "cycled." Hooking up and staying in one place can lead to problems.

Getting back to your question... where to stay. I know some folks who worked in the San Jose area and lived in a mobile home, tiny house or even RVs and they drove about an hour from the east to make their way to San Jose. I think they all found suitable long-term locations by looking at trailer parks (mobile home parks) rather than looking for RV facilities.

Craigslist seems to be a good resource. Taking a quick look at Bay Area I found listings for locations for RVs and tiny houses that included water, sewer/septic and metered electric for $1000/month. Don't know if those are real or if they're scams but that seems like a reasonable price. About an hour drive to San Francisco from the south.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Not to be rude...but are you looking clandestine parking or Societal recognized legitimate full time parking?
There is a broad range of situations in the SF Bay area so knowing more about what you are looking for might help with recommendations?
I will clarify my comments giving the shock I saw when I visited Mountain View 3 years ago, near Google world headquarters where I lived 20 years ago...it was shocking.

So I feel my question is valid to help this person find a place to live.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:02 AM   #9
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Vacaville has a nice park with not to bad of a commute. In the Bay Area traffic is a major problem.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Vacaville has a nice park with not to bad of a commute. In the Bay Area traffic is a major problem.
Used to live there and do the commute. Not for the faint of heart. About 2.5 hours in, 3 hours home from the Fairfield bus terminal/BART/Embarcadero.

-----------
Flag City is a large RV resort with multi-month rates. In Lodi at the intersections of Highway 12 and I-5. From there, the nearest BART station is Brentwood/Antioch. Again almost a 3 hour commute. Good luck.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4N5 View Post
. . .
Any info would be massively appreciated as I’m at the very beginning this new chapter.

Hans
Welcome to the forum!

As you probably know, the Bay Area is one of the toughest housing markets in the country.

"Not for the faint of heart" . . . well said, Acheron.

Good luck, Hans, with your networking and word-of-mouth search for a good spot.

Peter

PS -- These "zoning" search results will reveal many threads/posts which touch on an oft-crucial factor, in locating a trailer on residential property. If you can find an industrial location where you can "hide out," that may work, as there are tons of areas like this. Networking and word-of-mouth are your best friends IMO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=zoni...com&gws_rd=ssl
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Buddy stayed at San Francisco RV Resort a couple of years ago. Hold on to your heart when you check rates.
. . .

$103 per day.

http://sanfranciscorvresort.com/our-resort/
Old 10-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #13

Angels , California
What kinds of problems?
sunrosecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4N5 View Post
. . .

Hans
Hans, as the OP are you still monitoring this thread?

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Welcome to the forum Hans and sunrosecloud.