Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Full Timin' in a Used 34'....

........This idea still gets me excited . I've finally listed my home and it will sell eventually so I'm trying to figureout IF I could actually live in a nice , used AS-34 . I realize that AS's don't fare too well in cold climes so I've considered spending the winters down south in Nm or south Tx , then moving north for the summer . My SS won't start for 40 more months so I'll have to seek employment in some fashion whilst I reside in one of the northwestern states . All these idea's are just Figments of my imagination and some simplistic role playing until the homestead actually sells .
........I'm also entertaining pursuing this same lifestyle in a Truck camper or a regular travel trailer(SOB) but I continually come back to the AS because they seem to possess such longivity and comfort that I can't ignore plus I've always wanted to own an AS ever since my old uncle let me spend the night in his AS while parked in his backyard . Anyway it's evident that I'm not quite sure , just Yet , which course I'll pursue and It'll depend upon the quality of the trailers that are available after I've closed on selling the homestead .
.......I Guess I'm just thinking out loud perhaps and I'd appreciate any and all comments and any tales of actual experiences of those Full timers who have previously Or , are currently pursuing the Gypsy lifestyle in Your Airstream . Thanks , r66
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Unless you need to have a lot of stuff with you all th time. I've heard of it being done with something smaller.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hmm... "used." Now there's a word we don't see much here on the forums. The previous owners of my '79 took it out three times in the ten years they owned it. The first owners bought it, did the Wally Rally thing around Michigan, and then retired and took it to Arizona where it lived for a long time before they brought it back to Michigan to sell and re-house.

Used? Yes, she has been. She has the dents and wrinkles to prove it, too. (Loads of character.)

Forgive me, r66. The thought has never occurred to me that I have a USED Airstream. I don't know why not, though. I know that it was born 27 years ago, and it wasn't made for me. I just ended up with it.

This is just a thought, but aren't these trailers intended to be used?

"Pre-owned" is sort of schlocky, in my opinion. This often applies to vehicles that were only rented. A used car can be a disaster, but a used Airstream, if the previous owners had any sense at all, is a heck of a lot better value than an UNUSED Airstream.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

..............I'm aware , that , collectivelY , Airstreamers are a Very Touchy group when someone uses Adjectives to describe their chosen brand of trailer . So , I , given a chance to rephrase my opening statement would Substitute the words.....Previously Loved.....for Used trailer . Now , I guess I'm viewed as a heretic as I haven't\don't actually own said brand of trailer but I have had actual dreams of happily crusing down the interstate towing a shiny , Previously Loved 34 footer . If , these are Omens of future Intentions , then I'd say My fate is sealed and it's just amatter of time until I've spent my first night in my AS . Time and finances will tell . r66
Old 08-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi r66

i'm with safeharbor...the post is too cute.

but for my money they are all used airstreams....

old used ones...

new used ones...

waiting 2b used ones...

airstreams are cool...

but that doesn't apply to all owners...

find a well loved, previously owned, recycled, handed down, pretested, already been tried, one owner legacy model....

and you can be the next caretaker....

34s are nice...

so used

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--Of course the word is not "used"! It's "vintage", like good wine.
route66--You said I, which I take to be just you. If that is the case, the decision is easy as you only have you to satisfy. If it were just me I would select a vintage 27' A/S as that is about as large as you can tow with a half ton truck, suv or van (if you are only having one vehicle a van is the most versatile. My wife and I spent 7-months in our A/S one year, and we're still married. You have the right seasonal idea, south in the winter, and north in summer. You can get work in stores like Wal Mart, Home Depot, KOA, Camping World, and others where you are a continuing employee, working in different locations seasonally.
When the homestead sells you will have a lot of stuff you still think you need that will not fit in any A/S. Rent a storage shed, and put that stuff in it. Over time you can thin out the stuff, and hopefully get rid of all of it.
If after a period of time you think full timing is not for you, you can always rent or buy a place without wheels, and use your A/S for travel trips. Looks like a win-win any way you look at it.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
PO - meand Previous Owner

One thing that many folks have noticed is that the smaller trailers seem to hold their price longer than bigger ones. If you're going to federal or state parks, many have restrictions that preclude using a trailer longer than 25 ft.

I'm actually full timing in a 2006 25 ft FB SE - as a single woman I'm comfortable, but I'm working full-time so it isn't like I spend hours and hours at home.

A 34 could be great, but do remember you'll need a hefty tow vehicle (in the range of a diesel Suburban 2500 or 3500).

You'll have to look around and not jump for the first thing you see. A "nearly new" one is likely to have less work and be ready to tow.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Not sure if your alone or not but I agree that a smaller unit makes more sense. I prefer the early to mid 70's "vintage". You can often find a well loved trailer at a very reasonable price, fix it up practically and make it as road worthy as any on the planet.

There have been some recent posted for sale on this site that looked like very good possibilities. I am so tempted to get another unit but then I would be depriving someone else.

Smaller is usually a lot more practical, less expensive to tow - both trailer and TV yet still has all of the creature comforts. I had a 25 ' box and it did very well in the cold weather. Suburban forced air and blow the lines so they don't freeze while driving. A little bit of a pain but worth it for the freedom. I do like your idea of warm in winter and cool in summer though.

Good luck, either way Airstream is a statement.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

.............Appreciate everyone's advise . There is a lot to be said for a smaller trailer in terms of ingress\egress when boondocking and or just accessing trailer parks when traveling . I already have an f250 diesel so that is covered . Future choices won't be made until the homestead sells so I'm just dithering in a restless imagination until the wherewithal becomes manifest destiny with wheels . thanks , r66
Old 08-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi Route66,
I have a 1991 34ft excella 1000 and love it. I have owned airstreams since 1989 and started out with a 31ft trailer and really like that length but it did not have a dinette and the 34`s do .As far as towing I can tell no difference while going down the highway but there is a difference in tight turns but all you have to do is prepare for them. As some one else posted some state parks are geared more for smaller units but if you don`t plan to frequent those parks then I would go for the gold and get a nice comfortable 34 ft trailer.In my opinion the better years would be a 1993 and older or a 1996 and newer which would be a widebody. In 1994 airstream started using a headliner in the roof which I have heard on some trailers would sag or fall down and they are expensive to replace hence the 1993`s and older do not have the headliner.The 1996`s and newer do but they may have perfected that problem by then as I have a friend that has a 96 and has not had that problem. Also the windows in the 93 and older have a frame that surrounds the glass whereas the 94 and up do not. Not trying to upset any members that may have a 94 or 95 but like I said some people have and have not experienced problems with the headliner.Good Luck Davis
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Great Idea!

I have talked and talked to my hubby, he retires in 12 years, our son will be off to college by then. So I keep telling my husband in 12 years we sell the house sell the other toys and everything else and go full timing it. He is kinda against it at this time but if I keep working on him I always get my way, heck that is how I got the Airstream I just kept after him till he gave in.
Route 66 go for it!!! But of course do it in an Airstream.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, r66,

Actually, I agree with Davis. My next trailer will be a 34. Even with all the space in a 31', it's still a choice of having the front bed (gaucho) out or the dining table.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:40 PM   #13

I have 2 93's a 29ft with rear twins and a 30 ft. with a side dinette and rear queen.....I don't believe many 30's were made with the side dinette
Phil Shearrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #14

1974 29' Ambassador
gulf shores , Alabama
My wife and I live in a 1974 ambassador, 29' with 2 dogs. Its tight, but paid for. Only thing is learning to be in another part of the camper when the other person makes a move.
strawberryjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Davis,re: post 10 concerning mid 90's falling headliners--from personal experience, the inexpensive, do-it-yourself, better-looking-than-before fix is that of reattaching the headliner with 5/8ths inch self-tapping screws covered with snap on button covers, resulting in a quilted look to the ceiling. We just did this after much agonizing, and wish we'd done it much sooner. Do a search and see the pics published by others who first did this improvement. No one has to avoid these trailers now with the success of this repair ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
R66...

Dreams are what the future is made of... follow your dreams.

I lived full-time in a '70 Safari 23' for nearly a year. It was a little tight. I've had several Airstreams over the years and currently have a '94 tri-axle. IMHO, the older, non-wide-body 34' trailers have it over the wide-bodies and wide-bodies with slides in terms of towability. They're lighter and as easy to tow as an Overlander. That means you'll be willing to tow it more frequently. I will admit that the wide-bodies are nice for living space.

So, if you plan on putting miles under the axles, that's something you may want to consider.

And as far as my Airstream's previous history? It's used. In my world, it's either new or used. Some are more used than others... but that's the way it goes...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Just my own....

First to the used question: I have a '86 34' Excella. I was not the first owner, so I guess it's used. My neighber has a MUCH newer Excella that he bought new. Well, his is used too, now. grin. And mine is in much better shape, and I am pleased as can be to make it more and more used as often as I can. I don't worry too much about names, mine is not old enough that the people here will let me call it "vintage." Mostly I just call it MINE.

If you get another kind after dreaming (literally! smile) about an Airstream you may wind up like me. I full timed in a fifth wheel SOB for two years. I still wanted an Airstream. One day I saw a picture of mine for sale and bought it. Hold out for what you want. You aren't getting any younger and your chances to make your dreams come true are now becoming more important.

My trailer is a triple axle 34 footer. I know that many, possibly most of the people on this forum recommend smaller trailers. Whatever is best for them. Sometimes I would like to have a really old vintage single axle for a weekend trip, but for "staying" in, I wouldn't want anything an inch smaller than mine. I love it. Plenty of closets, plenty of storage, much better made than my new fifth wheel, and much easier to pull.

Speaking of pulling, I'll probably get in trouble for telling you this, but the real secret IMHO to pulling a trailer is to drive like an old man, which I do anyway. I don't get in a hurry to get started, I don't tow really fast, I allow plenty of distance and drive way down the road ahead of me. I have upgraded the brakes on both my truck and my trailer and have spared no money there -- stopping is more important than anything else, and I drive like my life depends on it. I have been in all states but four with trailers. I've been pulling RV's for well over forty years. Here's the part I'll get in trouble for telling you here....I have done it all with a 1/2 ton Ford with overload springs and a transmission cooler, or at least a series of them. No problems. Never. Especially with the Airstream. The 34' triple axle pulls easier than my brother's single axle. By far.

My free advice (prob worth what you pay for it) is get what you know you want, go where you're comfortable, take your time, buy the best you can afford, buy the bigger rig (you will NEVER complain about too much space if you're full timing.) Consider boondocking (Quartzsite and the other long term areas around Yuma and just across the river in CA are wonderful.) It's inexpensive once you are set up for it and you don't have to be parked up next to a bunch of people like books on a shelf.

Since you already have a great tow vehicle, just be sure to get a top of the line brake controller (never economize with brakes) and make sure your truck is in tip-top shape. Buy a laptop if you don't already have one to stay in touch. I now use a Sprint Skycard (I think that's the name of it) so that I have high speed internet anywhere there is Sprint service (almost all freeways and urban areas; nowhere in the western desert away from freeways).

Sorry to get carried away with my post. You can find wonderful helpers here and wonderful advice here, and a hundred conflicting opinions. Smile. And the prevailing one is not necessarily the right one. For you.

Lots of luck. Make your dreams come true. Why settle for less if you don't have to?

Keep us posted.

Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
route66-- Something to think about. If you sell you home first and store your stuff, tools, etc and buy a used trailer that needs conciderable work where will youlive during repairs. Or I no home where will you do the work and with tools etc in storage are they accessable?? My thinking ,assuming it's affordable, is to buy before you sell and have a place to work on it. Or Sell out ,buy New load up and head out !!!!----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:27 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Experienced

Someone emailed me that the best word instead of "used" was experienced. Smile. I like that.

Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Better idea yet!!!!----Buy a new AS, load up what you intend to take with you, give the realtor your keys and cell phone #, tell him to call when its sold and heard out!!!---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote