Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
geary , Oklahoma
we a thinking of full timing but i want to do it in anchorage ,ak .
i want out of south texas bad....
Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Homer is the place! In the banana belt of Alaska, it has many wonderful places to hunker down, including the Homer Spit stretching out into the Kahemak Bay. Views of mountains, glaciers, easy access to great coffee shops and bookstores and museums, and a population of involved, education-oriented citizens who love the outdoors.
And some are even from S. Texas!
The hustling burg of Anchorage is only a 4 hr. tow away and it does have a great RV park.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoysrvin
We are full-timing in a 28 ft AS and love it. We are putting a slide in the back of the truck to get to our "stuff" easier. As for working , have you looked at workamping ? There are many that give free sites ,as well as pay for hrs. worked.
I noticed that you have a 28' AS. Do you think it possible to pull it with a Ford 150. The 150 works fine with my 25' and I an considering a 28' but didn't want to buy a new truck since my truck is a 2007. Also do you think there is a very big advantage between the 25' and 30'Classic?
Thanks
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE]]"Pre-owned" is sort of schlocky,[/QUOTE

I like the term "previously enjoyed"!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We are full-timing in a 25 International with rear bed, front sofa, galley and dinette in middle. Plenty of room for us -- because we are newlyweds? We celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary one month ago yesterday. The 25 limits a little what we can carry in the trailer, so we carefully diagrammed the truck bed and fit everything else there in totes of all sizes. (20qt to 50gal)

The 1/2 ton trucks are tow-rated for up to around 8,500 pounds depending upon rear-end and engine. We chose a 3/4 ton truck for our 6,300 pound trailer for an unrated feature -- how well it stops the trailer under odd conditions. Brother-in-law shared his towing nightmare with heavy trailer pushing his truck through a stop intersection. We know the truck is heavy-duty for the trailer and we like it. Tows AND stops like a dream every time.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #46
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
I have a 34' airstream Classic trailer.
I pull it with a 2008 Doge ram 1500 Mega Cab.
The Motor is a 5.7 Hemi engine producing about 345hp.
The newer dodges produce more horse power than mine.
If we look back 30-35 years ago most vehicles pulling airstreams didn't have that kind of horse power. But by babying their TV they got where they wanted to go!!!Whether it was a car or truck!!Gas or Diesel
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks William, for bringing an old thread to life again! Good reading!

My wife & I are at that point in life where the kids are out of the house (more or less!) and we've about had it with the dream of "home ownership" and are ready to start enjoying the fruits of all our labor (kind of...) While still 10 years or so from full fledge "retirement", we have put the house on the market & are more than ready to make the move to "full time" ! We found our beloved 2001 34' Limited last fall near Chicago & with some luck will be calling it "home" in the near future.
We have the opporutunity to both transfere our careers to Tucson, AZ. where the climate is more to our liking ( 9 months of the year anyway) and will allow us to be closer to my Father, who splits his time between there & Show Low.
It has taken us 20 years , but, we've finally realized that less is more! We're looking foreward to some well earned "down time" and maybe a bit of increased padding in the old savings account.
We figured we'd spend a year paying off the Airstream, and the next year or two buying our "away" trailer (the smaller Airstream, we plan on traveling in) and then finally enjoying a vacation or two a year untill we can finally make the move to retirement.
I'm hoping that the "smaller scale" living will keep us active in "outdoor" activities and at the same time give us a renewed sense of life.
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote