Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Cheers!

This sounds like a great idea. I can't wait till we can start full-timing!!

As for a 34, you can't beat them. Someone has already pointed out that you'll need a larger vehicle to tow one.

During a recent camping trip, a friend of mine brought along his brand new SOB. The good thing was it was a Thor product (parent of AS) but it was not up to the same specs as our TTs. Matter of fact, when his kids saw our 34 the first words were 'it's better than our house.' Of course these are college aged kids but AS travel trailers are cool and no matter what length you settle on you won't regret the decision.

Best of luck!!

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #22
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Wayon--I still like "vintage" better.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Vintage??

Hi Frank --

"Experienced" is a little tongue-in-cheek. I like "vintage" better too, but since mine is an '86 the "vintage" club people have pretty definite rules about what is "vintage" and mine is not old enough for them to call "vintage." I have now had mine far longer than the original owner did, and as I said above, the main thing I call mine is "mine." Year before last when I sold the farm I decided I would jus go buy me a brand spanking new one, but I like mine so much better. Decided to just keep it and use it more.

Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:48 AM   #24
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Does anyone here have about a 31-foot dual-axle coach that is a 1980 to no newer than a 1985?? I NEED HELP BADLY!
I have a puzzle about the short wall on the left as you enter (assuming your stove and galley (sink etc) is there on your left too)...
4 YEARS AGO...I pulled that end apart, and had someone remaking the pieces. The short story is that I lost 3 mechanics (flakey), and one took off with one of the pieces; at least I was left with some insturctions... but one part has no instructions and has left me COMPLETELY BAFFLED!

i HAVE AN EXCELLA 500 ...1981 - 32 feet. and the layout is Galley on the left Curbside, frig & microwave hole on the roadside across from the Galley sink & stove area. Gaucho couch and flip-up cardtable is on the right as you come in. Bath on the side centre, bedroom in the rear.
Does ANYONE have any idea on how that short end wall by the stove is put back together,,,(the one with the magazine rack and the 'flip-up' counter extension piece) ...? The area that has me stumped is the area in the front which would be the right side of the magazine rack...(the whole front edging).
I started another thread about this, but can't find it. If anyone knows anything on how this wall is put together, please post your reply. I am in a TIME CRUNCH...I'm heading south in 9 (NINE) DAYS...and really need this put back together before heading out.
Thank you in advance,
....................Cat
Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #25
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Please read my post (the last one). I just saw yours, and you may just have the 'Galley End Wall'...I need help about.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #26
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
Does anyone here have about a 31-foot dual-axle coach that is a 1980 to no newer than a 1985?? I NEED HELP BADLY!
I have a puzzle about the short wall on the left as you enter (assuming your stove and galley (sink etc) is there on your left too)...
4 YEARS AGO...I pulled that end apart, and had someone remaking the pieces. The short story is that I lost 3 mechanics (flakey), and one took off with one of the pieces; at least I was left with some insturctions... but one part has no instructions and has left me COMPLETELY BAFFLED!

i HAVE AN EXCELLA 500 ...1981 - 32 feet. and the layout is Galley on the left Curbside, frig & microwave hole on the roadside across from the Galley sink & stove area. Gaucho couch and flip-up cardtable is on the right as you come in. Bath on the side centre, bedroom in the rear.
Does ANYONE have any idea on how that short end wall by the stove is put back together,,,(the one with the magazine rack and the 'flip-up' counter extension piece) ...? The area that has me stumped is the area in the front which would be the right side of the magazine rack...(the whole front edging).
I started another thread about this, but can't find it. If anyone knows anything on how this wall is put together, please post your reply. I am in a TIME CRUNCH...I'm heading south in 9 (NINE) DAYS...and really need this put back together before heading out.
Thank you in advance,
....................Cat

Give me a fax # I'll send you the diagram

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #27
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We are full-timing in a 28 ft AS and love it. We are putting a slide in the back of the truck to get to our "stuff" easier. As for working , have you looked at workamping ? There are many that give free sites ,as well as pay for hrs. worked.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Smile

We have been full-timing since this past March in our 25' FB SE. We have 2 young boys (3 & 5). We are full-timing since my husband is traveling for work (travel nurse). We love it! Even a 25' with the 4 of us is working out fine. We spend a lot of time outdoors. We previously owned a 31' Springdale (double slide) and full-timed in that for 4 months. We bought our Airstream because it is soooo much sturdier. After 4 months in the Springdale we were woried it would fall apart from full-timing. Airstream is the way to go! You will easily adapt to the smaller space. It is a great sense of freedom. We too are thinking of selling our home. We hope you have a great adventure!
Adams Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:48 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Roanoke , Virginia
Full Timin' in aUsed' 34

Hello, My wife and I "Full Timed" it in a 1992 34 Excella for 15 years. We sold our home in 1991 and hit the road full time. We have had RV's for 41 years, but this was our first Airstream. Our log shows that we have towed it over 160,000 miles. Our current tow vechile is a 2003 Ford F250 pickup. We have had our Airstream in 49 of the 50 states (We flew to Hawaii), every one of the Canadian Provinces, and most of Mexico. Go for it, you won't regret it.
billco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:52 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Roanoke , Virginia
Yesterday I tried to submit a "New Member Write-up". Today I tried to post an response under "Full Timing". I can't find either submission. I do see that I (billco) did make a submission but I can't get to it.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #31
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Anyone fulltimin' is my hero. Keep the shiny side up! Wait, it's all shiny.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Black and white....or shades of grey ???

I used to daydream about fulltiming. ( But my ladylove will never give up the farm )
My plan was not go full tilt fulltiming. I was planning to get a big trailer
and keep it at a park as a home base and storage unit my shtuff. I would use a small trailer for two long road trips a year.
( TWO Timing ??? or Half timing ???) Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Roanoke , Virginia
We've done that

My wife and I have full timed it in a 1992 Excella Model 34 for over 15 years. We have towed it over 160,000 miles. No problems, although a few campgrounds didn't have sites big enough and others were somewhat tight. On the road you can't tell the difference between a 34 and a 29. The last 5 feet just follow the first 29.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
What trailer for full timing!

We bought an 87 34' this summer and although we have put more into refurbishing that I had planned, we love the room in the 34 and would not want anything else now. I did have to buy a larger tow vehicle but the comfort and extra room in the 34 is wonderful. We intend to spend a good deal of time in ours as I can work online remoting to my office.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #35

St. Petersburg , Florida
We too are thinking of finding a nearly new 34, with the ultimate goal of full-timing. And, we love the idea of boondocking. Will the 34 keep us out of the really pretty and secluded sites? We'd love to read more discussion of this question; size vs. convenience? Thanks, Tom & Cheryl
tgrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Fulltiming

After 2 yrs of fulltiming in a 25' SOB with my hubby I went with the 34'. It gives us enough space to feel apart when we are shut in. I also realized that I would be happier with a separate dinette and living area. I use the fold out table in the living area to do my paperwork, etc on. I don't have to move it when we are ready to eat. Also, the 34' classic gives me a sense of having different "rooms". I also put a television in the BR in case we want to watch different programs or if I need to make business calls hubby can go to the other room and watch television. Backing just takes patience and practice. It also tows great. I am very happy with my decision. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Cool Rancho Deluxe

I've been fulltiming in my '92 Excella 1000 34' for three months now on a lot overlooking Lake Travis in Austin, TX and I love it. I did have to throw away 40 years worth of junk accumulation and I've found that I rarely miss any of it. When I get home from work in the afternoon, I go straight to a shady grove in my backyard and smoke a cigar while I listen to the news on NPR and this time is the high point of my day and the extremely quiet nights are a close second. My old tomcat thinks it's just about as good as cottage cheese too.

Here's a few pictures of my AS, which I've named Rancho Deluxe.
Rancho Deluxe

And here's a webcam shot of the Lake Travis main basin. My lot is on a hilltop directly across the lake from the camera location.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Good lookin rig, Crusty,

My 83 has the galley and dinette on the opposite sides. The location on Lake Travis looks primo. I spent 9 years out between Wimberley and Driftwood, and love the area.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
Smile Full timing in the silver train

I have always wanted an AS but my wife said no; "I like my TrailLite." But I said small white boxes are for little people! I finally found an '86 34' Limited - it was love at first sight. I spent the next 2 years restoring it to its former glory and better. virtually new eveything including granite countertops and dinette- what fun not cheap but worth the price - I'm not done yet. Now to the practical. Yes, a 34'er can be hard to find a place for the night -WalMarts are free - and hard to back until you've done it a lot. Many parks don't really check for size - I have gotten into may a 30' sight. But you learn. The 34 is the best I think for long term living - more room in the livingroom, the wardrobe, the bath, the kitchen has more space and a dinette. The livingroom has two couches and the combination of the living and kitchen offer space to accomodate a larger flatscreen TV. If company comes to stay for a few nights there's room for four more and a "half pint" - no problem. There's more storage thus fewer shopping trips. The 250HD Dodge hardly notices it's there . As to getting it in tight places; it goes into the roughest places - some you wouldn't want to take your car - we go slow and it makes it. The "silver train" comes from the day we pulled into a state park in OR. As I pulled into the space, the kid across the way sitting on his trike, his mouth agape, said to me, "Is that a train?" The name stuck. At times it would be nicer to have a shorter AS; but for living once you're setup the 34 is a dream come true for confort. And it's just nice to have something that is so well built. So coooool! We still have two trailers!

Ernie
Ernie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
Fulltimming for nine years in a 34' and loving it. Florida in the winter and the mountains of NC in the summer or where ever the road leads us. It's a life style that we both want and enjoy. We'll do it until I feel like I'm a threat to others on the road and then we'll settle down with the 34' or a condo. Go for it and enjoy the dream. We've had the dream of owning a home and that's well behind us. Have fun and see this great country before it's too late.
FlaAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote