Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Full Timers - what tools

Looking for advise on tools that you carry with you while full timing.

Thanks.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
I thought you were calling people tools!!
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I sartred with:
Cordless drill 18V (with drill bits and many screw bots)
Craftsman "Evolv" 83 pcs tool kit (socket set, adapters, screw divers, tape measure, level)
Multi meter
Multi it screw driver
Torque wrench
Breaker bar

That covers most bases.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Oh no, Sorry about the title. Definitely not calling full timers-tools. How did I miss that?

Just trying to figure out what tools I should keep and pack with the Airstream when we go full time.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2016, 01:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We used to carry a 2-ton floor jack with us. After a blowout on our TV last summer (while towing our Bambi, I discovered that the handle was too short to allow use under our Tundra. I tried pumping the jack while laying on my back partially under the truck, but couldn't get any leverage; and we ended up calling for roadside assistance. We now carry a 3-ton floor jack with a 4-foot handle.

Along with miscellaneous tools similar to those listed above, I also carry nylon cable ties and several feet of baling wire, which came in handy when the mounting hardware disappeared from the right side of our Bambi's bumper. Luckily, a passing motorist signaled us; and we were able to stop before the bumper started dragging and fell off.

I guess we are now officially trailer trash, since part of our rig is (temporarily) held together with baling wire...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
Oh no, Sorry about the title. Definitely not calling full timers-tools. How did I miss that?

Just trying to figure out what tools I should keep and pack with the Airstream when we go full time.

Thanks
You'll get lots of lists.

It varies considerably depending on your mechanical skill, where you travel, the kinds of repairs you might consider making, and the overall condition of your tow vehicle, trailer, and anything else you're bringing with you.

I carry 100' of rope and chain because I stay in some dodgy campgrounds and occasionally get badly stuck. I also carry a couple of cluster hooks in case I am inclined to pull someone else out of the mud. I don't necessarily recommend that other people carry this sort of gear, because using it is fairly physical, fairly dirty, and requires experience to do safely.

The one suggestion I would make for full-timing in particular is that you might want to consider some sort of folding or collapsible ladder, if that is something you might use.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
This question is almost like asking what's the best tow vehicle. I think there are some existing threads on the subject. You may do well to perform several searches. Here are some examples:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ay-132198.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ip-115069.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...box-30378.html
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Thank you everyone. Looks like I am on track with initial set of tools, jack, tow strap and other gear.

Thanks and happy travels
Old 02-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Columbia , South Carolina
Adjustable wrench and duct tape is all you need. Just kidding, I wish that were true though!!

In addition we found the following tools to be useful: Channel locks, specific socket/extension/rachet combination to change your anode rod in your water heater, wood saw (we use an Irwin shark tooth hand saw), heat gun, good extension cord, GFCI three way, head lamps, work gloves (including the nitrile gloves, we prefer the venom we use these over a pair of stretchy knit gloves in the winter to keep dexterity with water proof and warmth), cheap foam camping mat (we cut ours in half one for outside in the mud, snow, dirt, and the other for inside), grease gun, an air compressor, electrical tape, adjustable wrenches, and 3M duct tape.

Here is a could of winter specific items: We also keep a couple of those silver halogen work lights and a specific extension cord with a GFCIs for in the winter to throw under the unit along with skirting.
We use the water hose with the built in heat trace now, but we still keep a spare heat trace. Those sell out fast in the winter.
Metal coat hangers, could be used for many things, like the bailing wire above I suppose. One use we had for it was scraping inside the sewer pipe while thawing the frozen stuff when the sewer line would freeze. That was before we heat traced it though.

We did not full time in an airstream, so my input is mostly based on our life on the road in fifth wheels. Hopefully your full time experience won't be quite as labor intensive as ours!!
dazwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quite a few people get by with just a cell phone and high-limit credit card. <grin>

Seriously, you can carry so many tools that you can't take anything else. My suggestion is that you might want to consider a somewhat heavier truck (F350 vs F250, for example) that will allow you to carry more tools. Wheel chocks for both the truck and trailer are a must. Emergency triangle reflectors are also a necessity.

My needs are a bit different in that I do volunteer construction work (Laborers For Christ and Habitat For Humanity Care-A-Vanners) so I carry tools that most others probably don't need. Once you have a cordless drill and cordless driver, though, you won't ever want to be without them again.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote