Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
St Simons Island , Georgia
Full-Time RV Insurance: Who Do You Use?

Realizing that we need full-timer RV insurance because the regular comp & collision does not cover you when your "unhooked" ... Just starting my research and would love to know who you use for your full-timer RV insurance and what options you choose and why. I've been told that full-timers insurance is basically like a homeowners policy for your RV.

What's your experience? Who did you choose?

I received a quote from "National Interstate" which I thought was reasonable. Covered comp and collision with a $250 deductible, contents up to $5,000, Displacement insurance if there is an accident and you need to stay in a hotel, medical payments and a diminishing deductible.

Also was told by Progressive that they couldn't insure me since the RV is not at one location for more than 50% of the year. I understand other companies require you own a home and have a homeowners policy in addition to the RV policy. Any experience with this out there?

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your guidance ...

A&D
pdozanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Companies are now dropping people who only want a car policy... If you don't cover renters and a vehicle, or homeowners and a vehicle, or something else and a vehicle... you're pretty much screwed.

I'm currently trying to find an insurer that will give me any contents insurance - and cover the mother truck. Getting p***ed off and p***ed ON.

Paula
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
We use Progressive. They most certainly cover full-timers

RV Insurance Coverages - Full Timer's Package
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Contacted Progressive about their Full-time Package, and after going through 30 minutes of questions was told they could not insure us because the AS was not at one location more than 50% of the year. If you ask me, that contradicts the purpose of "full-timing" ... We are never in one place for more than a couple months.

So, the question is ... Who insures folks that travel full-time and are nit stationary?

Not Progressive.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am with Progressive with a good rate. I will have to read the policy but there was no mention of being in one location 50% of the time. Also the trailer is covered for the purchase price for I believe 10 years.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I too have Progressive. But Geico carries TT insurance also.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Thanks for the comments about Progressive. I'll contact them again and see if a different representative can confirm. They specifically said that because the trailer was not at a particular address for more than 50% of the year, and because we were in a new location every month to two months, that they could not insure us.

Anyone have experience with this other company? National Interstate?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Jensen Beach , Florida
Just got an agreed upon value, $14500, for my 1978 Argosy Minuet 22 ft from Allied Insurance (Nationwide). This was based on an appraisal done on the trailer. The insurance on the Argosy and Full Timers insurance comes to $600/ year. I got this insurance thru Farm and City Insurance at 800-331-1520. They say when I get a copy of the insurance policy it will have the agreed upon value stated in it. We will see.
Patti
pdurkin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
There are many full timers with full timers insurance.

Go to the Escapees.com website. Miller Insurance specializes in working with full timers.

Dave

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
Agreed Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurkin7 View Post
Just got an agreed upon value, $14500, for my 1978 Argosy Minuet 22 ft from Allied Insurance (Nationwide). This was based on an appraisal done on the trailer. The insurance on the Argosy and Full Timers insurance comes to $600/ year. I got this insurance thru Farm and City Insurance at 800-331-1520. They say when I get a copy of the insurance policy it will have the agreed upon value stated in it. We will see.
Patti
Agreed Value are the key words. I have driven vintage cars for years and always insured them for an "Agreed Value". Companies have other terms that sound good like "Stated Value" or "Cash Value" but the fine print says whichever is less.

I am finishing up my restoration polish on our 1958 FC and will be taking it to a certified appraiser. With appraisal in hand I will shop around for the insurance.
GMAC says the will give me an "Agreed Value" with the appraisal.

We begin Full Timing next April 2014.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0722.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	187306  
COLONEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Rookie

2007 23' Safari SE
Helen , Georgia
We have bounced around over the years. It seems that any RV insurer gives good rates in the beginning then slowly bleeds you until you switch because they raise the rates too high. Right now we are will Good Sam (GMAC).

Great article on RV insurance that lists all the insurance companies and which offer full timer coverage if anyone is shopping.
Part of the Fedex Retiree Club (37 years)
martyhardy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I'm an insurance agent, and my take after reading this article is that the author is confused.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti
I'm an insurance agent, and my take after reading this article is that the author is confused.
Because.....? :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Raleigh , North Carolina
I have USAA. They have all of my business that I can give them. Home, mortage, banking... I had a rock break one of my front curved windows during a ride hoome and a $100 deductible covered a $1200 fix by out of doors mart. Same rate over the past 2+ years and its the only "vehicle" I have on their policy. 4 star service.
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I just got off the phone with a Geico agent in Albuquerque. I have had Gieco insurance for years and have been very happy with them after I had a major claim a few years ago. First I was told I need to mail in an application form which was emailed to me. I was told I couldn't get a quote over the phone. It takes sometimes 10 days for mail to get out of here. This is the 21st century I thought. Today I called back and was told since I plan to park the trailer at my house, I need to talk to a local agent. That agent told me it should be attached to my auto policy. Transferred back to Geico. Geico told me I'm not going to be pulling it anywhere (other than driving it 150 miles home) so I need to talk to a local agent. Transferred back to ABQ. Then we looked at the NADA value for the 85 31' Excella. Came out $32,000+. But the average retail list was $1,000+ to $2,000+. She couldn't tell me how the replacement value would work so I ended up not know exactly what I was paying for. The trailer is in pristine original shape. It has one dent on the back bumper and a couple of screws loose over the front window. One small storm window has some condensation. That's it. I want to know what happens if there is a wreck on the way home or it catches on fire or whatever.

What do I do now? The agent wants the VIN number as if that will make a difference. Hope I can find any answers to this. I'm having a hard time finding things here. Just a little stressed right now! Thanks in advance.

With all the travel trailers on the road everywhere, I would think this process would be easier or at least like insuring a vehicle. I feel like it's complicated for a reason that does not benefit the policy holder.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
USAA requires a military connection for coverage. Don't have it.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just checked again and I am with Progressive. My AS dealer contacted RV America Insurance (the agent) and they got me on with Progressive. Apparently Brown and Brown of Kentucky is RV America. BTW, I could not get a good rate with Progressive for my TV but for the TT it is excellent. I can't find a phone number for RV America but I'm sure if you Google you can find it.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Allstate.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
We have State Farm, have for most of the last 22 years. They insured us for an agreed value + our contents. Local agent.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I just got a call from a Good Sam agent. He quoted me a low annual rate of $227.70 which includes full roadside assistance. It's with Allied. Did some Allied research. Lots of people with homeowner's insurance getting worked over by them. The said they would do replacement value at what I paid for the trailer, otherwise I have to get an "independent" appraisal from someone they provide. Costs $300 or $400. Hahaha. Still don't know what to do. The AS is currently covered by Progressive.