Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Fresh Water Tank Constantly Dripping

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with this topic? When I fill the "Fresh Water" tank, it constantly drips water only out of the mouth with the cap on. This water will drip for days until we decide to use enough water to lower its capacity below 3/4's tank full.

Normally, we keep the tank full for traveling and I have never noticed this dripping before. I thought it was a leveling issue at first, but the same thing is happening at other locations, and we are level.

Is there something that I should know or be doing, such as a filter to clean or is it a pressure issue to be serviced.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
If this is only happening when you're hooked up to campground water it sounds like the check valve in the water pump has gone bad and water is going the wrong way thru the pump and into the fresh water tank. Had this happen to me in my last 2 trailers. If you allow that to go on long enough the water dripping/running down the side of the trailer will leave hard water deposits which are near impossible to remove. Would probably be a good idea to drain the tank and only fill it when you're going to need to use the tank until you get the pump replaced.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You might try putting a little less water in. Water will expand as it heats during the day and will overflow. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Oops, maybe water does not expand. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Al - K4GLU,

Thanks for your help. I am going to check to make sure this is only happening when hooked up to campground water. Today, I will unhook, refill the Fresh Water Tank, and use my pump, and see what happens over the next couple of days.

Do you know what could have caused the pump to go bad so soon or what happen in your case? This is a new unit, only been used now for about month.

Just had to replace the "Hot Water Heater Element", I believe that was my fault by turning the switch on with no water in it by mistake. Hope this is something that I did not do.

Thanks again for your help and I will keep you posted of my results.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We had something similar happen when we first got ours. While hooked up to city water we were getting constant dripping. Turns out there was a little debris somewhere in the pump and water was passing through and filling the water tank. Replaced the pump and everything was ok after that.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks to all.

Day 3 and all is well. As I stated in my last post, I disconnected the site water, refilled the Fresh Water Tank and cut the Pump on, on Day 1. There was a sound in the shower that seemed as the "Water Pump" was under a strain. Day 2, Fresh Water Tank still full, the sound in the shower disappeared and no more dripping from the tank. Day 3, Fresh Water Tank still full, no awkward sound in the shower, and no dripping.

I suspect there was a stuck valve or an obstruction in the water pump. If you remember we had the Hot Water heater element replaced. After the replacement is when I noticed the dripping.

Thanks to all of your input, I was allowed to think this thing through, before taking the next step and replacing the Water Pump.

Thanks again for all of your concern and knowledge. For a "Newbie" this forum is the best friend a Airstreamer can have. We are not alone.

Until our paths cross ...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I added a shut off to isolate the pump and tank when I'm on city water and a shut off to isolate the city water supply line when I'm on the pump and water storage tank.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Splitrock,

I think I spoke too soon. Woke up this morning and noticed that the constant dripping has returned.

I will diffinetly look at this option so I will not have to deal with this issue again.

Thanks for the photo.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Maybe get the water pump replaced under warranty? Is the water filter clogged up with debris?

It's disturbing we find so much construction debris. How would it hurt to keep a couple of shop vacs in the work area.

Kelivn
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Here is the update on this leak. As mentioned on this tread, my "Water Pump" was replaced under warranty. This solved the problem. Due to the fact our trailer is still under warranty, so I will not attempt the cut-off bypass.

Thanks again to all who posted and helped me get through this issue.

Until our paths cross again ... Thanks.