Old 10-12-2003, 04:27 PM   #15
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Re: Podunk, Iowa indeed...

Originally posted by 85MH325

Easy there, Maurice... Podunk is my hometown!!!

Actually, Sparkleplenty, RKM makes some valid points. That advice taken, I'd encourage you to do what you think you can! I will tell you though, that after living with my dog in my 23' Safari for eight months some years ago, you'll find a 22' to be confining. After that experience, I don't think I'd consider anything smaller than a 25' for full-timing, and a 27' to 30' might even suit you better; particularly if you're considering doing this for more than just a few months.

While the vintage tow car is a fun thought, and it's great for folks who have the time and money to store them and do the necessary upkeep, it's not a terribly practical idea for a full-timer when it's your only mode of transport.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

i thought you were closer to boondocks iowa!

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:54 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
well, you've given me a lot to think over. I think the idea of an old woodie station wagon or convertible eldorado used as tow vehicles will be put on ice for awhile. Thanks Jim for the link to Maurice has provided a lot of realistic insight-thanks! One of the points you mentioned though is in direct contrast to what my dealer in Irvine has told me--(I know he is trying to make a sale!), but that is that the 22' ccd is good for fulltime use if I can deal with the space issue--he has mentioned nothing about it being intented for only weekend use or being lightly constructed. Granted we are in SoCal and maybe insulation isn't the first factor he is considering but still...

I do appreciate the separate bath in the 25' ccd and the full fridge but the length seems really big for a first timer. (not to mention the price difference). I also love the floorplan of the 22' with the little office that would be perfect for my job. I agree-storage is an issue especially with kitchen stuff.

For now--I am going to keep researching, study the nitty gritty involved in all this, and keep my eyes out for a badass surburban type vehicle. (Maybe I can repaint one a cute, shimmery light blue to match the interior of the 22'--now THAT will be stylie!)
Thanks again to all who responded.

sparkleplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Smile Speaking up for the 22' CCD

Sparkleplenty, After owning a 22' CCD for a few months now I have some responses...

The 22' CCD has very little storage, especially for cold food and drinks, with the tiny dorm-sized refrigerator. It's very lightly constructed for an Airstream and built for weekend use, not fulltiming. If you're considering using it up in the mountains, it has no belly pans and insulated, heated tanks to keep them from freezing. And there's only one battery, and two little 20 lb LP tanks, if you're considering boondocking. You'd be much better off finding a larger, more rugged "Classic" series Airstream a coupla years old and depreciated.
We have boondocked for 4 days plus up in the mountains (7500 feet above sea level). It was in the 40s at night. We played around with the furnace, but didn't use it. Our solar panel kept our battery charged up every day. The only issue we had was that our tanks filled up and we had to head to the dump station. We haven't gone through one LP tank yet (after two, week plus trips). I agree with the refrigerator comment. We use a cooler to augment the fridge. Other then that storage is fine. The 22' CCD is very easy to tow and maintain (we started off as complete trailer newbies). And we love the floor plan and the style. If I was going to full time though I'd think about upgrading to the 25' CCD. Also having that belly pan is probably necessary in more northern climates. All this aside, I love all Airstreams.

2003 22' CCD
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 06:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Yes, the 22' is short, and 6" narrower than larger trailers. But you aren't a towing newbie for long, and that comes out of interior space. I'm sure its storage is adequate for a long weekend in the mountains, but we're talkin' fulltiming here.

If I've read the Airstream website correctly, you can get a 25' SS Safari for $1200 less than the 22' CCD. The floorplan is virtually identical to the 25' CCD, except you can also get it with the sofa with credenza/fold-out table, which is awesome for a computer setup on one end of the couch, instead of just an L-shaped sofa, as in the 25' CCD.

Here's the 25 Safari Virtual Tour.

The savings, especially over a 25' CCD, will go a long way toward decorating it yourself, to your tastes, like David and Bret did their Bambi. Beautiful work, one of a kind, not just a "custom" many others have a copy of. Pictures here.

I'd still rather have a '01-'02 Classic for full-timing though.
RoadKingMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Go for it! You have the bug and if your like most of us you will always have regrets if you don't find out.

You can save some money if you buy a couple year old unit. The pre 70 units tend to weigh much less then the new units of simular size. More space with less tow vehicle needed. Problem is finding one in ready to go condition may be a challange.

Now fulltime is a different animal. I would concider a larger unit if at all possible.

As for a tow vehicle. Bigger is better. A large trailer puching an underpowered light tow vehicle around is frustrating. Yes a older stationwagon can be up to the task but I would concider a newervehicle. The gains are overdrive transmission to make it more echonomical to operate as a day today vehicle. Already R134 A/C so less costly to repair if it does have a problem. Fuel injection so again it will be less costly to operate.

A 90's GM wagon was often equiped with a 350 and good gearing. Some even have LS1 motors (Detuned Corvette engine). Resale on station wagons is bad. You could pick up a low mile Buick Estate or Chevy Caprice wagon for cheap. It would have almost the same drivetrain as a half ton truck. Some were eguipped with load leveling suspension and rear sway bars. It would not make a bad tow rig and probably get around 15-18 MPG for Day to Day driving.

As for the what you want to add or look for in a 90's wagon. 3.73 gearing at the very least. Good set of tires that can handle the weights involved. AUx transmission cooler and heavyduty cooling package. It would do the job.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote