Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

First time full timer to be!

I'm very excited to say that after years of dreaming I finally bought my first airstream and will be living in it full time..

The most exciting part would have to be that I have only 3 months to make it fully live able and move it to the lake lot I reserved for it.

I'm very young and will be living with my Dog while I commute to work.

It's a 27' 1971 overlander in great structural shape so far. I have checked most of it and it looks great except for one spot on the back that bolts to the frame. Having zero welding experience I'm going to attempt replacing that piece but need help finding who makes these frame pieces or if I need to get someone to fabricate one

That being said the rest is the frame is great it's been rewired and has new plumbing.

Now that I have it home and bought a dog bone for it is it ok to hook it to a 20 amp 120 v outlet? I have read it will burn up the ac system so I plan in leaving it off but does the breaker to it have to be off as well?

And what would y'all recommend as my first steps to making it capable of full timing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399586005.040457.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	951.4 KB
ID:	211458
palekenyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
Hey there! Looks like we're kindred spirits we have a lot in common (but i don't have a dog ). Welcome to streaming!! First step is always find and fix leaks. If you skip this step and do anything else it'll come back and all your hard work will be in vain. If you just don't turn on your AC you'll be fine, as far as electrical is concerned. How does the interior look? One piece of advice my brother gave me was to start living in it as soon as possible and see what works for you. There will always be projects and adjustments but it's hard to make those decisions without day to day living. Check out my blog- I write every week about my full time adventures but with mine it's turned a little bit more of a total renovation. I have a list of other blogs and websites that have given me a lot of inspiration as well that might be helpful for you. Keep us posted!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks for posting!

As for leak checks what process would you most recommend for that? and do i have to take the inside panels off?

The interior is almost livable (minus the lack of any cushions) and I plan on re purposing as much as I can. So far your blog has helped me out a ton! Its comforting to know someone else is taking the plunge!
palekenyan is offline   Reply With Quote