Old 01-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #15

Wilsonville , Oregon
Hi Avionstream,

Thanks for that resource. Unfortunately, none are close to PDX though. My situation is like the OP's where I would be working in the area so the RV Park needs to be a reasonable commute.

Since there's a whole website dedicated (the one you kindly suggested) to vintage RV friendly parks, this must be a national thing where it's difficult to stay for greater than a month with a more than 10 year old trailer? That just boggles my mind...

Thanks again for your help!

Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
RV parks almost have to require this limit out of self defense. That is the only way they can turn away people without apparent discrimination. I have found that a personal meeting with the trailer can work wonders for exemptions to the rule. I brought my 1949 Boles Aero into an RV park on the south end of Canby, OR. When I went into the office I mentioned their 10 year rule and explained what I was towing. The manager said "I want to see this" and checked out my trailer. He decided it was very nice and said there was no problem if I wanted to stay. They are more interested in limited the people they have in the park than the trailers.

So ..................... pull into a park with your trailer, mention their 10 year rule, admit your trailer does not qualify, and ask if they would like to check it out. Let them know your plans and the reason for wanting to stay at their park. In most cases they are more interested in getting to know who you are than the age of your trailer.

Sam

Old 01-03-2016, 06:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
Hi Avionstream,

Thanks for that resource. Unfortunately, none are close to PDX though. My situation is like the OP's where I would be working in the area so the RV Park needs to be a reasonable commute.

Since there's a whole website dedicated (the one you kindly suggested) to vintage RV friendly parks, this must be a national thing where it's difficult to stay for greater than a month with a more than 10 year old trailer? That just boggles my mind...

Thanks again for your help!
It's not a whole website just a list of cg our members have found to be friendly to us. Some have had gettogethers . AS vintage are welcome. Any mh or trailer is welcome.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Another Way

May I suggest you looking at this problem from a different point of view. This is the chance for you to become a business owner.

RV Park/Campground for Sale in Silver Lake, WA: Mt. St. Helens RV Resort

This campground is only 61 miles away from Portland (folks where I live drive a longer distance than that to work everyday), you can buy the campground, make your own rules and have a place to live all at the same time.

Enjoy,
Old 01-03-2016, 11:39 PM   #19

Wilsonville , Oregon
Hey SamB - Would that have been Riverside by chance? They're ideally located for me - the only downside is I don't think you can pack trailers any closer together without defying the laws of physics and last summer they had quite the waiting list. The RV park in Wilsonville is already booked all next summer too.

Rideair - I'm game if you'll finance!

The question that I'm still wondering about though, is this a normal challenge nationwide (long-term in a trailer over 10 years old) or just up here in the PNW for some reason?

Cheers,
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I've camped with trailers as old as forty years mainly east of the Mississippi and never had a problem. We do stay at commercial campgrounds but not rv resorts.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Sondor----------------
I believe it was Riverside. Yes, it was very tight. Another option to check is Roamers Rest south of Tigard on hyw 99W. It was there 45 years ago and I think it still is in operation. Yes, just checked, search Roamers Rest Tualatin.

The main point I was emphasizing was to make a personal appearance at the park to meet the owner/manager, explain what you are looking for, and for how long. Having your trailer with you or at least a recent photo hooked to your tow vehicle is a plus.

Sam
Old 01-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The main purpose of the 10 year policy, (we have it up here too), is to have an airtight excuse to keep out the "trailer trash". The premise is that low lifes can't afford trailers within the 10 year limit and can be excluded without discriminating against any individual. As advised above, have them check out your rig and ask if they might make an exception in your case.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:32 AM   #23

Wilsonville , Oregon
Just wanted to update the thread - I spoke with the three nearest RV parks and:

1) Would be willing to make an exception - no problem (but they did also mention they were very limited in full-time spot availability and projected to be out by spring, but may have some again next fall).
2) No exceptions - Didn't even care to discuss - prompt hang-up. Frankly, quite rude.
3) Not taking any more long-timers and stopped adding to the wait-list.

So not ideal, but it keeps the dream alive.

Thanks all for your input!

I guess now that's out of the way - the real AS questions will begin lol...