Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Finally Homeowners!

We pulled the trigger and purchased our first home...a 2005 Safari Bunkhouse! It arrived on Saturday. We love it and can't help but smile when we look at it. I've attached a photo of our rig setup.

Ours came with the two "office" looking chairs. We've already removed those, the desk, and the valence. We plan on building a couch/bench with storage underneath in that space. Ideas/suggestions are appreciated! The "mouse fur" is kind of gnarly and we would love to update that to something a little more aesthetically pleasing, again...ideas are appreciated!

Here is a partial list of things to do/update before we full-time in May 2017.
  • Two new fantastic fans
  • Queen bed lift to maximize storage
  • New couch/bench seating area
  • LEDs
  • Portable solar
  • Updated curtains or new blinds
  • Mouse fur solution
  • Win the lottery

We're going to do these projects as time and $$ allows. Now that we are Airstream owners I am loving this forum even more. So much information is just a click away.

Thanks for all your advice as we tackle this project! Can't wait to get our truck wiring up to snuff so we can take the Airstream out on her maiden voyage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160917_192053.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	272237  
Mortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Congrats!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Lol, I love the last item on the list! Good luck and congratulations!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congrats. Check out MaxxAir fans as an alternative to Fantastic fans

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Congrats. Check out MaxxAir fans as an alternative to Fantastic fans

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I like the prices better! Do you have personal experience with the MaxxAir fans?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Like our MaxAirs... ours are not 'powered'.. but the ones which are I have seen work really well...sucks in then expels hot air...

The ones we have help 'pull' air out as we travel with the inner vent lid opened.. and we don't get water inside!

Also, consider installing the Maxim skylights...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
Congratulations! Looking forward to your full time posts!
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Like our MaxAirs... ours are not 'powered'.. but the ones which are I have seen work really well...sucks in then expels hot air...

The ones we have help 'pull' air out as we travel with the inner vent lid opened.. and we don't get water inside!

Also, consider installing the Maxim skylights...
Thanks for the tips! What would you suggest for the Maxim skylight? What are the benefits? We have one skylight, there doesn't appear to be any issues with it at this time though.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Thanks Gene, we'll be uploading before and after pictures of our work.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Mortland,
Here is a thread... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...hts-53517.html

It has more than I can type about the Maxims. http://maximskylights.com

For us, our 1999 had mountains of sealant (some silicone...bad for aluminum) slathered on all the cheap plastic "skylight"... What a lousy part on an Airstream!!! I considered direct replacement for about 10 seconds... Then thought..."I can build a better one!"

While planning my replacement, I stumbled on the thread above and shredded my own plans!!! They have been flawless for 3 years. Just now I am seeing some minor spiderwebbing on one corner... But ZERO leaks!!! Blocks a lot of heat (not all, but far better than the original, ahem, horse exhaust they had on initially.

The Maxim is built to fit over the skylight "curb".. That is the aluminum frame that the cheap skylight screws to. So, instead of mounting go to the "top" Edge of the curb, it slides down over the curb snugly... Apply sealant on the vertical curb to seal Maxim and curb frame, then attach with screws in from the sides,, easy peasy. If you cannot physically mount the roof it is easy to do for any RV tech. Just have them walk on the doc properly..m and do NOT use silicone!!!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I 2nd the recommendation of Maxxair fans, I have the Plus model. Have one of those in my 2012, and the other one is the original Fantastic Fan. No comparison. Additional features compared to the Fantastic:

1. 10 speed variable vs. 3
2. Switchable airflow, in or out
3. Has a remote, great while in bed.
4. Quieter!

I'll be upgrading the other one soon
Old 09-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
CW, I was working in the Airstream today and the sun was right above us, I could definitely tell a difference standing underneath the skylight in the kitchen. Considering we'll be sticking to warmer climates I'll definitely be digging deeper into the Maxim skylight solution.

Thanks for the link, I have it bookmarked for future reference. My "to do" list continues to grow! I love it though!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Very nice, remember the first time full timing like it was yesterday. Didn't last long enough but won't be the last time either! Good luck.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Just wanted to update this thread a bit. I know a lot of prospective fulltimers come on here and get tons of advice and then disappear.

Our little family is 3 weeks into full-timing and we love it! The best part so far has been the ability to walk to the beach from our campsite. The worst part was two days ago when my wife and I both had a bad case of strep throat, it was rainy, and we have two children under two trapped inside a 200sqft living space haha. We're much better now though!

We've moved things around dozens of times trying to find the best use of our space. Honestly, there is a lot more storage space then we expected.

We are having issues with our hot water. Water will get hot but only for a minute or two then it turns lukewarm. Anyone know whats up with this? The only other annoyance we've experienced is the height of the toilet is really odd, I had to purchase a stool just so I could sit comfortably haha.

Anyways, I hope everyone is having a great start to the new year! Loving the Airstream life and community.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Congratulations! Perhaps "checking in/updating" may be as therapeutic as it is good if us to witness success!!

Now, about the WH, are you on electric, LP, both? How much water flow?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Your tempering valve on the back of the water heater may be bad. See water heaters sub-forum for threads on this, as well as the threads linked below:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...lve&gsc.page=1

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/

Here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ne-161611.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...er-161376.html

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortland View Post
Just wanted to update this thread a bit. I know a lot of prospective fulltimers come on here and get tons of advice and then disappear.

Our little family is 3 weeks into full-timing and we love it! The best part so far has been the ability to walk to the beach from our campsite. The worst part was two days ago when my wife and I both had a bad case of strep throat, it was rainy, and we have two children under two trapped inside a 200sqft living space haha. We're much better now though!

We've moved things around dozens of times trying to find the best use of our space. Honestly, there is a lot more storage space then we expected.

We are having issues with our hot water. Water will get hot but only for a minute or two then it turns lukewarm. Anyone know whats up with this? The only other annoyance we've experienced is the height of the toilet is really odd, I had to purchase a stool just so I could sit comfortably haha.

Anyways, I hope everyone is having a great start to the new year! Loving the Airstream life and community.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote