Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
Figuring out the residency thing

Ok, hoping you fine folks can give me some advice.

Here's the situation:
  • The wife and I are going to shortly become full-timers
  • We currently reside in Colorado
  • We're selling our home here (closes Dec 13) and heading from here to spend the holidays in North Carolina with family, and staying there until we get our AS
  • We will be taking one vehicle with us to NC and then trading it for a truck when the 2020 Rams are available (most likely January)
  • I'll be timing the purchase of our Airstream to coincide with the delivery of the truck
  • We've chosen Texas as our new permanent address, for all the normal reasons, and because we both lived large portions of our life there
  • We'll be using my wife's sister's address near Houston instead of getting a mail forwarding service
  • We'll be flying to Texas for the week of Thanksgiving to visit family

So on to the question:

What's the best way/order for getting things established? I figured it would be convenient to get our DLs while we're in Texas for Thanksgiving, but apparently they require you to show that your vehicle has already been registered in Texas. I certainly don't want to register my car in Texas for just a couple months as they're going to charge me the difference between the 2.9% sales tax I paid in CO and Texas' 6.25%. I do plan on registering the new truck and trailer in Texas at time of purchase (the purchase will take place on the east coast). I'd also like to get the residency stuff done before end of year to simplify the following year's income taxes (and of course to avoid paying any extra to Colorado, since they do charge income tax).

Thanks for any advice!

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I don’t KNOW anything about texas but it seems unlikely they require you to have a car in order to get a driver’s license. Not sure why you couldn’t leave your car registered in CO until that tag expires.

Otherwise, it also seems strange to 2020 trucks aren’t out yet because you could just sell your car in CO before you go and buy the truck before your trailer. Or, rent a car for a month? Maybe the dealer could fix you up with a loaner?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I don’t KNOW anything about texas but it seems unlikely they require you to have a car in order to get a driver’s license. Not sure why you couldn’t leave your car registered in CO until that tag expires.

Otherwise, it also seems strange to 2020 trucks aren’t out yet because you could just sell your car in CO before you go and buy the truck before your trailer. Or, rent a car for a month? Maybe the dealer could fix you up with a loaner?
According to Texas’s website, when trading in an out of state license for a Texas license they require you to either show your Texas vehicle registration or sign an affidavit stating that you don’t currently own a vehicle.

2020 Ram Heavy Duty trucks are not available on lots or to place orders yet. Ford is the same way. No official dates have been announced either, just a lot of rumor that they’ll show up early Q1.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
So whats the rush ?, run the numbers first then jump.
have fun Jim
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvToaster View Post
According to Texas’s website, when trading in an out of state license for a Texas license they require you to either show your Texas vehicle registration or sign an affidavit stating that you don’t currently own a vehicle.

2020 Ram Heavy Duty trucks are not available on lots or to place orders yet. Ford is the same way. No official dates have been announced either, just a lot of rumor that they’ll show up early Q1.
That’s annoying! I guess you are stuck with whatever is cheaper:
1) Register your CO car in Texas just to resell it later paying the tax.
2) Sell your CO car in Q1 and then fly to Texas when you buy the truck and get your license then.
3) Sell your CO car and rent something for now and get your Texas license now.
4) Buy a truck you can get now trading-in/selling your current vehicle. Maybe a great deal on a 2019?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
I would wait.

First, if you change residency in 2019, it may or may not complicate how you handle the sale of your house - especially since you would be changing states before you sell your house. Colorado's multiple-state tax calculations are not something I would want to navigate if I didn't have to.

Secondly, Texas gives you 90 days to change your license. I would think it a lot more convenient to get the new license and register all of your vehicles in one visit.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The tax process is *way* easier if you change residence on January 1. That way everything lines up and stays simple. That would be a much bigger issue to me than the driver's license.

You may want to check the grubby details of bring a "almost new" vehicle into Texas. They may have a time limit where you still pay their sales tax. It would be a pain to plan all this and then find you still owe a pile of sales tax money.

Unless your current driver's license is about to expire, there is no rush to get one in your new state of residence. Each time we have moved, that has been pretty far down the list. Moving bank accounts and insurance to the new location has been higher on the list.

Lots of people take a bit of time moving from state to state. I've known folks who took years to complete the process. If you are in the "month or three" range, that's actually fairly fast.

I'm not a lawyer and also don't play on on TV (or the internet) . That said, I don't think you need to be fully settled / registered / licensed somewhere else the day (or month) you sell the house in Colorado. If that *is* the case then I've broken that law a number of times .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
It's individually complicated !

Like other things , solar etc.
Your need to match your needs with whatever is available .
So comparison of [ learned opportunities ] .
The learned opportunities has been going on a long time and has been done with some changes for a long time .
This site is not Airstream specific , but is full time RVing specific , and has many videos on " were to do this " .
Also lots of other goodies
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAj...ery=residence+
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Ok, hoping you fine folks can give me some advice.

Here's the situation:
[*]We will be taking one vehicle with us to NC and then trading it for a truck when the 2020 Rams are available (most likely January)[*]I'll be timing the purchase of our Airstream to coincide with the delivery of the truck

Thanks for any advice!
The new truck would need to go through breaking in period before you can tow a brand New shiny Airstream.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
The new truck would need to go through breaking in period before you can tow a brand New shiny Airstream.
Hi

..... typically that means putting about 1,000 miles on it ....

Bob
Old 11-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If Jeremy get a diesel Ram the:

ENGINE BREAK-IN
RECOMMENDATIONS —
6.7L DIESEL
The Cummins turbocharged diesel engine
does not require a break-in period due to its
construction.

NOTE:
Light duty operation such as light trailer
towing or no load operation will extend the
time before the engine is at full efficiency.
Reduced fuel economy and power may be
seen at this time.

Because of the construction of the Cummins
turbocharged diesel engine, engine run-in is
enhanced by loaded operating conditions
which allow the engine parts to achieve final
finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles
(10 000 km).
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
Thanks for the replies all. Having some additional time to think about this, and reading the posts here has made me realize that there is no rush, and I can easily get to Texas (by plane if necessary) to get my license at any point.

I'm just going to go ahead and make the residency with on Jan 1 to simplify the tax stuff and everything else.

Texas hits you for the difference of sales tax on a vehicle you bring in from out of state no matter the age. I'll be buying it with a Texas address though, so I'll pay Texas sales tax at time of purchase.

I'll get the truck and trailer first, then go get the licenses after.

As far as breaking in the new truck (6.4 gas btw, not diesel), I didn't mean get the truck and trailer on the same day. While new engines don't require break-in the axles usually do. I'll be picking up my truck in VA and driving it back down TO NC, so getting the necessary miles on it before towing won't be a problem.

On the truck front, my dealer contacted me today and said that (unexpected by everyone) Ram opened up orders this week, so my truck is getting ordered tomorrow!

Again, thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. Sometimes you just need to say (type) an idea out loud (online) for your brain to make sense of everything.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
RAM Break-in period

Jeremy, congratulations on selling the house and making progress on your plan!

I checked my RAM manual about the break-in period; not much to worry about. Here’s the page from the manual...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6CB13659-71C0-40B3-A5DB-9BD649E14FA1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	355841  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:01 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
Jeff,

Thanks! Your input was a big part of choosing the gas Ram, so thank you for saving me $9k, and getting me an extra 900# of payload cap!

Old 11-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As noted, the manuals on a lot of trucks these days no longer *require* a break in period. Making it mandatory is different than it being a good idea. Brakes, transmissions, axle bearings, differentials all have wear in on top of whatever the engine needs. If the truck is going to be a "keeper", best to take it easy right at the start.

Bob
Old 11-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I am a little confused about your sales tax comment. I believe that once you purchase your vehicle and legally register it in your current state of residence it is yours and you will not have to pay Texas Sales tax when you transfer it to Texas. If you purchase a vehicle from outside of Texas and register it in Texas as a new purchase you will pay the sales tax in Texas but not the state where you purchased it. That has been my experience.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
It’s a Texas thing. If you purchase and register a vehicle outside of Texas and then re-register it in Texas they charge you the difference between whatever sales tax you paid and what you would have paid in Texas.

Purchasing a vehicle new and register in it in Texas will of course pay only Texas sales tax.

The end result is you pay 6.25% on it no matter what you do.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Figuring out the residency thing

Can’t speak specifically to Texas however most states want you to even up on sales tax. I.e. you initially buy in. 5% sales tax state and where you move is a 7% sales tax state. They normally make you pay the incremental 2%. Unless the vehicle is over a certain age.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:

I'll get the truck and trailer first, then go get the licenses after.

I am confused about this. I live in WA and have purchased trucks and even my Airstream in Idaho. For vehicles you don't have much of a say as to when you "get the license". I had to pay the full WA sales tax at time of purchase. Actually when they fill out all the registration numbers I have to register the truck in WA. I then pay the taxes and get the license registered. Where I live, I don't think I can buy now and "go get the license after."
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Just register everything in Vermont. It can be done legally through the mail and you can use any address in the US.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote