Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1996 28' Excella
Mobile , Mississippi
Feeling the pull of full timing...

So I've had my inherited 28 ft airstream for about 2.5 months now... And I've lived in it for about 6 weeks. (10 days traveling and in the ozarks where I have 80 acres, and the rest up here in NJ where I'm working as a flood adjuster.

I'm saving money for a small cabin on my land, and a 4-plex on the gulf coast (I'm not a full time flood adjuster, I do safety and emergency management, have an oil contract pending)
I plan to rent out 3 and live in one of the apartments.
(if I keep working up here I will reach my goal sooner rather than later.)

Now I've been fairly nomadic for the last 10 years. College, military etc...
(now medically retired)

And I'm kinda enjoying the footloose and fancy freeness of this... If the rain right now wasn't so loud and if I had a bathtub...
I don't need much.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't find a better investment than rental property, and just throw a pad on my land... (GF doesn't like it, likes a tub and real bed... But she's not going to be around forever and we trade visits.)

Anyone else feel my pain?

Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Every day!

Put a couple of pads on your land and open an RV park. Or just use it as a home base for your work. If you do the real estate on the coast you will be stuck there. Right now your living the dream, why wake up....

Dave and Felicia
wxbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona

I am in the rental property business here in Tucson. I do all the repairs and maintenance and my wife handles all the leases, showing the properties etc. on twelve units. If you truly want to full-time in your Airstream, I would not advise you getting into the rental business unless you wish to turn everything over to a management company. Of course, they will take some of your profits as a management fee. Dave and Felicia suggested maybe opening an Rv park on your land, but that would still be like being in the rental business and would restrict you from traveling.

In summation, the rental business can be more than a full-time job depending on how many units you have to manage. That being said, it is also a fantastic way to make a VERY good living/income. I just don't think it would be a great thing for someone who wishes to full-time. It is hard for us to even get away for a short trip with our trailer. You asked for advice and I have given you my two-cents worth. Hope this is of some use to you.

1999 Nash
2004 Ford Super Duty
DryHeat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
My wife says, find a different girl!

No seriously, in this new world, you have to do what keeps you happy! Trust me, rental property is an anchor, something always needs to be fixed, and the second you turn your back, someone is taking advantage of you!!

Best luck in your quest, and by the way, once you leave a normal world behind, you'll never go back! Nomadism is awesome!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Other than be tied down to rental apartments and the disagreeable girl friend the plan sounds good.
Curious, where is Mobile, Mississippi?
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

Buy a better mattress. You spend 1/3 of your life sleeping - make it comfortable. Then you'll have that "real bed".

As for a bathtub, there are inflatable hot tubs around.

Personally I find the noise from the jetted tubs distracting rather than soothing, so I'd just make do with just the tub (big deep kiddie pool). A screen room for the awning - or a separate screen room with solid sides and you have a bath pavilion. If you're on your own land, no problem. In a campground, might want to wear a swim suit while soaking.

Do it the Japanese way, soap down and SHOWER first, then just take a nice hot soak in the tub. Keep the same water for a week or two as long as you can keep the tub heated and covered and clean.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Avid Wanna Beeeeeee
Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Hell i am just envious you inherited your AS. I am trying to figure out how I can experience the lifestyle long enough to know that sinking a several grand into the idea is worthwhile.

That said I have lived on ships most of my life and somehow life is less complicated when you don't have a ton of crap. So I am pretty sure I would love the life.

If I had any advice for you then the girlfriend who doesn't get it ought to be replaced with a model that likes the nomad life. But I don't know what kind of thing ya'll got so that is up to you.
Jay Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"
1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I full time. My Gal loves my place and I love her city apartment. When I'd like a little more room or she'd like to get "out in the country" we make it work.
We're not attached at the hip and enjoy our own "space" some times.
The traditional relationship does not allow for "the best of both worlds".
I can cook (to my satisfaction) and she's no slouch either when it comes to repairing "stuff".

Jay Hawk: My gal and I worked on boats for a couple decades and I agree: No one needs a whole lotta :stuff. I rent tools and hire the odd kid to do the lawn to keep the economy going (in my small way).

There's no need to run a rental, it may be profitable (depending on lots of factors), it may be fun if you like the business, but it'll drain ya in one form or another and sap ya of your "freedom to roam" (unless you get a mgmt. co. as Dryheat is an expert in)
"Paula"'s experience and advice (I've learned from reading these forums) is pretty primo stuff.....I'd listen to her....and have.
Good luck
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
My 3rd winter in a 34 footer. These AS's are way cool, just fix the little things & keep on rocking/hold/invest your $.

Good luck & happy new year.
Frank Burgett, Owner
Burgit Hill Herefords
Registered White Face Hereford Cattle
1099 Dailey Road, Snead, Al 35952
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
1996 28' Excella
Mobile , Mississippi
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Other than be tied down to rental apartments and the disagreeable girl friend the plan sounds good.
Curious, where is Mobile, Mississippi?
Sorry I've been remis at answering, Work, Christmas, and my Grandfather passed... I've been busy.

I don't have any set address, I was endevering to list a couple of the places I pass through, and failed...

As to the GF... we will see, she's dealing.

And rentals... given the lack of interest regular investments get... I don't see many other options if I want "Mailbox money"

We will see, I Think I'll be upgrading the Solar panels on the airstream, and replacing the lights with LED's, and probably putting a metal building on my land first.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Columbus , Ohio
I put a pad on my 42 acres with electric and cable. Spent all last summer there. Now look looking for 1 or 2 more pieces of land in other parts of the country. The Ozarks are a great place to be. Put in a pad and enjoy !!!
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I put a pad on my 42 acres with electric and cable. Spent all last summer there. Now look looking for 1 or 2 more pieces of land in other parts of the country. The Ozarks are a great place to be. Put in a pad and enjoy !!!

I am sooooo green with envy!

If I ever win the lottery, I'm gonna have me a bit of land.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master
2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Belated welcome to the forums. I would put a small space in the Ozarks, scrap the rental idea (too many problems arise with renters), & find a source of necessary income if needed! If you don't plan on traveling too much, I'd consider a private small camp ground there. Just my opinion!
I know you think you understand what you though I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
Just wondering......what does a few acres like that cost?

Private spot, some nice trees, water some where close would be nice.

I have 8.5 acres in Utah, but the winters are getting old, global warming has not helped at all

pullswitha40 is offline   Reply With Quote