Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Feeling the pull of full timing...

So I've had my inherited 28 ft airstream for about 2.5 months now... And I've lived in it for about 6 weeks. (10 days traveling and in the ozarks where I have 80 acres, and the rest up here in NJ where I'm working as a flood adjuster.

I'm saving money for a small cabin on my land, and a 4-plex on the gulf coast (I'm not a full time flood adjuster, I do safety and emergency management, have an oil contract pending)
I plan to rent out 3 and live in one of the apartments.
(if I keep working up here I will reach my goal sooner rather than later.)

Now I've been fairly nomadic for the last 10 years. College, military etc...
(now medically retired)

And I'm kinda enjoying the footloose and fancy freeness of this... If the rain right now wasn't so loud and if I had a bathtub...
I don't need much.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't find a better investment than rental property, and just throw a pad on my land... (GF doesn't like it, likes a tub and real bed... But she's not going to be around forever and we trade visits.)

Must...resist...the...silver-pull...

Anyone else feel my pain?
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Every day!

Put a couple of pads on your land and open an RV park. Or just use it as a home base for your work. If you do the real estate on the coast you will be stuck there. Right now your living the dream, why wake up....
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Nomadic1,

I am in the rental property business here in Tucson. I do all the repairs and maintenance and my wife handles all the leases, showing the properties etc. on twelve units. If you truly want to full-time in your Airstream, I would not advise you getting into the rental business unless you wish to turn everything over to a management company. Of course, they will take some of your profits as a management fee. Dave and Felicia suggested maybe opening an Rv park on your land, but that would still be like being in the rental business and would restrict you from traveling.

In summation, the rental business can be more than a full-time job depending on how many units you have to manage. That being said, it is also a fantastic way to make a VERY good living/income. I just don't think it would be a great thing for someone who wishes to full-time. It is hard for us to even get away for a short trip with our trailer. You asked for advice and I have given you my two-cents worth. Hope this is of some use to you.

Tim
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
My wife says, find a different girl!

No seriously, in this new world, you have to do what keeps you happy! Trust me, rental property is an anchor, something always needs to be fixed, and the second you turn your back, someone is taking advantage of you!!

Best luck in your quest, and by the way, once you leave a normal world behind, you'll never go back! Nomadism is awesome!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Other than be tied down to rental apartments and the disagreeable girl friend the plan sounds good.
Curious, where is Mobile, Mississippi?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ideas

Buy a better mattress. You spend 1/3 of your life sleeping - make it comfortable. Then you'll have that "real bed".

As for a bathtub, there are inflatable hot tubs around.

Personally I find the noise from the jetted tubs distracting rather than soothing, so I'd just make do with just the tub (big deep kiddie pool). A screen room for the awning - or a separate screen room with solid sides and you have a bath pavilion. If you're on your own land, no problem. In a campground, might want to wear a swim suit while soaking.

Do it the Japanese way, soap down and SHOWER first, then just take a nice hot soak in the tub. Keep the same water for a week or two as long as you can keep the tub heated and covered and clean.

Paula
Old 12-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Avid Wanna Beeeeeee

Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Hell i am just envious you inherited your AS. I am trying to figure out how I can experience the lifestyle long enough to know that sinking a several grand into the idea is worthwhile.

That said I have lived on ships most of my life and somehow life is less complicated when you don't have a ton of crap. So I am pretty sure I would love the life.

If I had any advice for you then the girlfriend who doesn't get it ought to be replaced with a model that likes the nomad life. But I don't know what kind of thing ya'll got so that is up to you.
Jay Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I full time. My Gal loves my place and I love her city apartment. When I'd like a little more room or she'd like to get "out in the country" we make it work.
We're not attached at the hip and enjoy our own "space" some times.
The traditional relationship does not allow for "the best of both worlds".
I can cook (to my satisfaction) and she's no slouch either when it comes to repairing "stuff".

Jay Hawk: My gal and I worked on boats for a couple decades and I agree: No one needs a whole lotta :stuff. I rent tools and hire the odd kid to do the lawn to keep the economy going (in my small way).

There's no need to run a rental, it may be profitable (depending on lots of factors), it may be fun if you like the business, but it'll drain ya in one form or another and sap ya of your "freedom to roam" (unless you get a mgmt. co. as Dryheat is an expert in)
"Paula"'s experience and advice (I've learned from reading these forums) is pretty primo stuff.....I'd listen to her....and have.
Good luck
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
My 3rd winter in a 34 footer. These AS's are way cool, just fix the little things & keep on rocking/hold/invest your $.

Good luck & happy new year.
1099 Dailey Road, Snead, Al 35952
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Other than be tied down to rental apartments and the disagreeable girl friend the plan sounds good.
Curious, where is Mobile, Mississippi?
Sorry I've been remis at answering, Work, Christmas, and my Grandfather passed... I've been busy.

I don't have any set address, I was endevering to list a couple of the places I pass through, and failed...

As to the GF... we will see, she's dealing.

And rentals... given the lack of interest regular investments get... I don't see many other options if I want "Mailbox money"

We will see, I Think I'll be upgrading the Solar panels on the airstream, and replacing the lights with LED's, and probably putting a metal building on my land first.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
I put a pad on my 42 acres with electric and cable. Spent all last summer there. Now look looking for 1 or 2 more pieces of land in other parts of the country. The Ozarks are a great place to be. Put in a pad and enjoy !!!
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I put a pad on my 42 acres with electric and cable. Spent all last summer there. Now look looking for 1 or 2 more pieces of land in other parts of the country. The Ozarks are a great place to be. Put in a pad and enjoy !!!

I am sooooo green with envy!

If I ever win the lottery, I'm gonna have me a bit of land.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Belated welcome to the forums. I would put a small space in the Ozarks, scrap the rental idea (too many problems arise with renters), & find a source of necessary income if needed! If you don't plan on traveling too much, I'd consider a private small camp ground there. Just my opinion!
Terry

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
Just wondering......what does a few acres like that cost?

Private spot, some nice trees, water some where close would be nice.

I have 8.5 acres in Utah, but the winters are getting old, global warming has not helped at all
pullswitha40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I am sooooo green with envy!

If I ever win the lottery, I'm gonna have me a bit of land.

Maggie
Lottery not required. I paid $65,000 for my 80 Acres.
You can find land under $1K/Acre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelegood View Post
Belated welcome to the forums. I would put a small space in the Ozarks, scrap the rental idea (too many problems arise with renters), & find a source of necessary income if needed! If you don't plan on traveling too much, I'd consider a private small camp ground there. Just my opinion!
Terry

Thank you for the Welcome. I've considered a few things. I've made enough in Nov/Dec to cover my expenses for the rest of 2013, so I'm not in a rush, but interest rates aren't exactly stellar.

Hense the 4 plex in a town I have family in idea...
My ozark property has only 5 acres or so I could turn into a campground, the rest is rocks, waterfalls, rock bluffs etc... (Beautiful, and the reason I bought it, but useless.) I'd rather plant fruit trees and have it to myself.
(I don't want to be a campground manager)

I have considered buying 5 Acres or so in Southern Fl, and planting Citrus, putting in a pad, and having a place where it's warm.

But that whole income thing... interest rates are less than inflation. (Add to that that I'm relatively young, I'd like to put money back every year, not just get by.)
I was talking to a friend of mine last night... particularely with Tricare... And the fact I'm able to make money working as a contractor... there's no reason to take a 9-5... but it's irregular income. My pension is $1,293/Month. Enough to pay all my fixed expenses and then a bit. I can survive off it, but I'd like another $1K- $1,500/ Month. Anything on top of that would be savings.
I look at everything as time:income ratio. I know it would be fairly easy to earn $1500 a month, but many of the options would require time invested regularly, and I don't want that. I've 'accomplished' everything I need to in my life. I want to live it.

IF you have recommendations... I'll take em!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullswitha40 View Post
Just wondering......what does a few acres like that cost?

Private spot, some nice trees, water some where close would be nice.

I have 8.5 acres in Utah, but the winters are getting old, global warming has not helped at all

Sorry, you were typing while I was typing.

You can find land 20-30 acres for under $1,500/Acre in the Ozarks if you are willing to look.

I've thought about the Ozarks, Northern Arizona (The part with water and trees) and Southern Fl... just kinda aimlessly rambling between the 3...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Land - my 42 acres is in the woods but not too far from supplies. Water - we get it from a local park 3 miles away. Or from a spring 2 miles away or a spring 2.5 miles away. Lucky - lots of places to get.water.

The black tank gets dumped into a 35 gallon tote. Then the 2nd time black thank gets full we call a pump out company. They take 68 gallons of waste for $50. The 35 gallon tote with 33 gallons in it they charge 3 cents (yes 3 cents) a gallon. So most of the $50 is s trip charge.

I paid 3k in land improvements to keep us out of the mud. $1200 to have 50 amp service installed and $700 to have cable run.

You will need a 911 address which is easy to get. Utilities don't like sending their guys to the third oak tree past the big maple tree.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
you know... we should start a registry with all of our empty land with just a pad and electric and water and network, so we can all experience other parts of teh country without having to actually own land there. we have 23 ares about an hour outside asheville and also considered putting up houses to rent... or pads to rent for RV's... for extra income. I am self employed and work from home (web design /internet marketing) . so i am also interested in owning a small plot in say, CA, where we could travel during the winter.

Also, in NC where we live, rutherford county and areas surrounding asheville there is a ton of land for sale with owner financing; land is also cheap, 2 - 5k/acre.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
On the surface this sounds like a great idea but how would any scheduling work. Plus having strangers on my land might cause legal issues if someone got hurt. Like climbing a tree and falling or someone with a toy hauler full of 2 cycle dirt bikes.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Whatever you decide will be the right decision.

But here is my personal input.

#1) Fulltiming alone can be VERY lonely. We are pack animals.

#2) Owning multiple properties can be stressful, even if they are in close
proximity. Some renters can be a nightmare.

#3) Bathing in bathtubs can be unhealthy for women, and baths use too much
water compared to showers.

My financial input.....Between rental income, pension, and whatever you can earn, it looks like you could survive.

My advice....Think about the best of both worlds
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote