Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

The Dreams ( plans and options )

Running a campground? Fulltime ball and chain! Great for some though.

I thought about a syndicate of close friends, that let each other camp on their properties. I also thought about a handyman/workcamp/driveway camp plan.
It sounds like you need something versatile. For me, a home base would be a must. I would want storage, a safe haven, and an ace in the hole.

I don't know what the future holds for me, and I am trying to convince myself of the beauty in not knowing. I welcome a kind word, a kick in the pants, or any bit of wisdom that you can offer. ha ha Sincerely MD
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
A homebase with storage could be ok but as soon as you put up a building then you have to worry about people messing with it when you are gone. As long as you are going to travel I think it is better not to a building on the land. I will probably rent a storage unit.

On my property I have trespassers riding quad runners on it. So when I am there they stop but when I gone they ride. The property is only nice in the summer. It gets too cold windy rainy and snowy in the 6 months of cold weather. Even in July it can get chilly at night.

I am thinking taxes on just land is cheap so I could afford maybe 10 acres where I can spend winters.

You have to decide what part of the country you want to spend time in because you can't keep going from the east to the west and back. You can however travel north and south. 1,000 miles for me vs 2,700 miles.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Put a couple of pads on your land and open an RV park.
Love it! Good for you and congratulations on the inheritance. Why not do both - cabins and pads - port homes per se or a port home neighborhood.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

I agree with Tuffr2 for the most part

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A homebase with storage could be ok but as soon as you put up a building then you have to worry about people messing with it when you are gone. As long as you are going to travel I think it is better not to a building on the land. I will probably rent a storage unit.

On my property I have trespassers riding quad runners on it. So when I am there they stop but when I gone they ride. The property is only nice in the summer. It gets too cold windy rainy and snowy in the 6 months of cold weather. Even in July it can get chilly at night.

I am thinking taxes on just land is cheap so I could afford maybe 10 acres where I can spend winters.

You have to decide what part of the country you want to spend time in because you can't keep going from the east to the west and back. You can however travel north and south. 1,000 miles for me vs 2,700 miles.
A guy in California put up a shed on his get away land and vandals completely leveled it.
I have ten acres in Pennsylvania. I plan to winter there because I want to keep the house, pipes and my stuff warm over the winter. It's nice to have snow, and be with family over the holidays, and I don't really want to camp in the winter. And yeah, a few years ago it was 38 degrees at night on the fourth of July. I am thinking that Spring and Fall would suit me, as the best traveling time. Summer is music festival time for me, and a nice time to be up north in the hills where it is cooler.

I made grass trails throughout my land. when I bought the land it was overgrown with thorn bushes. I would go nuts if the quads tore up my trails. Luckily, I am surrounded by hundreds of acres for the quads to do their thing.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I don't know what the future holds for me, and I am trying to convince myself of the beauty in not knowing.

Any of us ask this question.

From an off-angle to this rhetorical statement, I usually advise folks to think of how long they'll keep an RV, and how many miles they'll accummulate on it (or the pair of vehicles) in that time. This is a way to get a handle on expenses. A bottom line, as it were.

X-years. Y-miles.

Depreciation really doesn't mean much for long-term ownership. The TT can last for decades given care (although somewhere between 20-30 years serious money has to be spent, so insurance should reflect this throughout ownership), and good tow vehicles will last well in excess of ten years given reasonable miles solo.

The number of nights aboard is the determinant of cost. Wrap it all into this.

The annual miles on the TV [tow vehicle] is the largest variable; total miles, not just towing. The right TV can be economical if chosen well (low fuel burn). Insurance should also be kept high, and maintenance/repairs at a high level (best tires, not cheaper-than-original, for example).

On a TV one would want to break out costs in cents-per-mile of operation. EDMUNDS shows, I think, around 57-cpm for a new car kept 5-years and for 60,000-miles; close to the IRS average. This can be beaten, realistically.

The TT can also be charted for energy use. Kilowatt-hours, pounds of propane, etc. Average annual maintenance, etc.

Put it into "my cost per night aboard" over those X-years and Y-miles. See what you come up with.

For the OP, your adjuster work, etc, should already show you some tax income offsets (per diem type stuff).

This isn't an answer, per se, to the question posed. But it gives, IMO, a second way to come around on feelings/motivations. Legs.

My own situation grapples with the same questions, but with different restraints. You'll find quite a few folks, here, and on other RV venues trying to answer some of the same.

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Wow, wasn't expecting the flood of activity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
On the surface this sounds like a great idea but how would any scheduling work. Plus having strangers on my land might cause legal issues if someone got hurt. Like climbing a tree and falling or someone with a toy hauler full of 2 cycle dirt bikes.
This is a concern of mine. The land in the Ozarks is in my name, if I bought some land in FL and did this (Something I've thought about) I'd use a LLC like I use for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
But here is my personal input.

#1) Fulltiming alone can be VERY lonely. We are pack animals.
I NEED alone time... just that kinda guy.

#2) Owning multiple properties can be stressful, even if they are in close
proximity. Some renters can be a nightmare.
I've helped friends with rental property BTDT, still open to alternate income streams...

#3) Bathing in bathtubs can be unhealthy for women, and baths use too much
water compared to showers.
I like a hot bath...

My financial input.....Between rental income, pension, and whatever you can earn, it looks like you could survive.
If there were rental income... I CAN make it on my pension, but there wouldn't be wiggle room. With earnings, sure, but that's not my eventual goal.
My advice....Think about the best of both worlds
Which is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Love it! Good for you and congratulations on the inheritance. Why not do both - cabins and pads - port homes per se or a port home neighborhood.
don't want to be tied to it. Was thinking buy a 4 plex, live in one for 2 years, learn what it takes... if I like it turn it over to a management company and take the hit...

Slowmover: I do indeed understand 'business expenses' and 'tax write offs'
(As well as depreciation.)

Interestingly: It's easier to claim a business expense if it's while you are 'on the road'
Clothing, tools, etc...

I've had a few things mailed to the camp ground recently!
(And am looking at some improvements)

I'm setting aside $ from each contract to cover repairs, upgrades, and replacements.
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
I think the lone wolf in us feels that pull. I know I am probably 80% pack animal and 20% lone wolf. That is my conflict. There is a raw sense self worth when you are by yourself and surviving. But if I am alone for too long I then get pulled back to the pack because of loneliness.

You spend a lot of time surviving when in living in a trailer. The trailer provides shelter which is huge but food, water, sewage, firewood, washing clothes. Seems I spend a lot of time dealing with the above.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote