Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Eastern NC , North Carolina
Extended Warranty IF living full time in AS?

Hi,
Newbie...1st post. in considering my options at purchase of the extended warrant offered.....99% of folks on the forum seem to think its a waste of money.But I cant find the answer if you plan to live in it everyday parked for maybe a year or three. This is my first AS (2018 28ft Serenity) and I know the quality overall is there, but I have no knowledge how well the appliances, AC/Heat, stoves, fridges etc will hold up with constant use vs. the occasional camper.
Can anyone offer their opinion/advice etc?
Thanks in advance, Bluebird
bluebirdsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I am not a fan of these types of add on insurance policies and I prefer to "self insure."

Your most likely exposure that is not covered by your regular collision and comprehensive insurance (e.g., fire, theft, crash, hail damage and the like) will be the post-warranty failure of one of the major appliances such as the Fridge, water heater, furnace, range, air conditioning unit and the like. Your likely maximum out of pocket cost to replace the most expensive item is the fridge at about $2,000. The other appliances would all cost in the range of $1,000 or less.

In general these appliances are all pretty reliable if they make it to the end of their individual manufacturer warranty periods so chances are very good that you'll never use the insurance. How much is the add on insurance policy you are considering? If it's more than $1,000 I'd skip it and put the cost of the insurance into a separate savings account and look to that to fund any major issue you run into down the road.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Take the money you would spend on a warranty and put it in the bank.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
There are many of us who are full timing in our Airstreams, myself included. I did NOT get any extended warranty. I have found that they are not worth anything, especially when you start to read the fine print. Airstream has a very good 2 year warranty, I am pretty sure it is standard on all units. I would just stick with the basic warranty and save yourself some money. However, I would suggest that you do have an emergency fund established, just in case.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you do go with the extended warranty:

1) Get a full copy of the warranty
2) Read every single page of the darn thing
3) Figure out what it all says (or get a lawyer to explain it).
4) Spend some "quality time" working out what is covered
5) Spend some more "quality time" working out where you need to go to get things fixed
6) Spend even more time working out what will not be covered

Why go through all this?

In general these warranties are pretty worthless. If you believe it would be worth something to you, you need to dig in and see how it would work out. There are *lots* of gotcha's and guessing which one will get you (without doing everything above) is impossible.

If anything, the appliances etc will do better when parked than when moving around. Best guess is that whatever might go wrong won't be covered (it's wear and tear). If the trailer is outdoors all the time some things will wear. The thing that likely will get you (moving or not) will be leaks at seals. Again, I'd bet that's not covered ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The advantage of an extended warranty is the ability to leverage the dealer to perform required work when you don't have the time or the skills to fix it yourself. However, if full timing, you can't really leave the coach with a dealer as it's your home. It's also not going to be comfortable living in your coach full time if you do not develop good DIY skills. So, I agree that unless your situation is exceptional, the cost of a warranty is best spent to establish an emergency fund. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The advantage of an extended warranty is the ability to leverage the dealer to perform required work when you don't have the time or the skills to fix it yourself. ... Pat
Hi

.... until you hit the part in the warranty that requires an "in network" dealer and those are all a long ways away. Yes, if you got the warranty at the same dealer you are taking it back to, that may not be an issue. I've seen one case where 5 years later the answer was "we aren't part of that network anymore" .... yikes !!! .....

Another side of this is preventive maintenance. No warranty will cover that stuff. You *will* need PM done on a trailer. It *will* be expensive (or take some hard work). It should be (but probably isn't ...) a yearly ritual. How well it gets done has a lot to do with how many issues you will have further down the road ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Camper Clinic II in Buda (S. Austin) Texas, advertised in the Blue Beret, "Lifetime Warranty" with Airstreams .
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The only extended warranty I'd consider was one offered by the manufacturer. Third party warrantees are pretty much wasting your money. They sound good but later your claim is denied.
"That's not covered" or "We didn't approve the repair before you had it done" or "the repair shop is not in our network, but there's one a thousand miles away."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
Well, I might have made a newbie mistake, but I just purchased a used (2008) Safari from the dealership, and I purchased their extended warranty, 4-years, supposed to work at any "certified mechanic" in the country. Since the trailer was not New, and out of the manufactuer's warranty, I felt I needed something to cover any major repairs or appliances.

Hopefully by the end of 4 years, I will have gained some skills
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote