Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #81
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
JCL - thanks, that helps clarify the issue. None, none and what do you want to know? We can deal with that. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Went through the Canadian Customs about 5 days ago at the Sweetwater MT crossing with no issues. The customs officer was professional and to the point. He asked questions, I answered yes or no. Was not charged a duty on the 1 extra bottle of alcohol I had, but was ready to pay the duty fee if required.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:50 AM   #83
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Went through the Canadian Customs about 5 days ago at the Sweetwater MT crossing with no issues. The customs officer was professional and to the point. He asked questions, I answered yes or no. Was not charged a duty on the 1 extra bottle of alcohol I had, but was ready to pay the duty fee if required.

Welcome to Canada! I hope you have a great trip and take home priceless things.......memories.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #84
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We also passed through Sweetgrass, MT just a few days back. Fast and professional as has been all of our border crossing experience. Heading north but re-routing ourselves due to all of the flooding in NE British Columbia.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #85
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
We also passed through Sweetgrass, MT just a few days back. Fast and professional as has been all of our border crossing experience. Heading north but re-routing ourselves due to all of the flooding in NE British Columbia.
You're going to have to blame "tsunami" for that, he crossed the border a few days back and flooded the joint.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
So far it's been wonderful, the people friendly and helpful. Thanks

Old 06-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I'm only responsible for flooding of biblical proportions! Thanks for the blame though... lol

Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Came through US Customs yesterday morning, from Dawson City YT, with no issues.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #89
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We entered Canada at the POE above Oroville Washington. Officer was professional and asked the expected set of questions before giving us advice on the travel time to our destination and sending us on our way.

I am convinced that staying in the box.....no guns, no products that are of concern, no illegal substances, no large quantity of cash, and a planned trip gets you a clean bill.

Re-entry into the US was at the first POE off C5. We were subjected to an agricultural search. Process was just that, a process. The agricultural inspection area is not configured for RVs. They have you pull over to the curb between two cones and expect you to know that you need to leave your vehicle and present everyone in your group including your animals to the officers inside the building. You fill out a declaration form. Our agent noted that the entry web site was out of date and gave us a flyer. After the search of our vehicle and coach, they informed us we should have told them about our eggs, which are considered meat. Eggs are not a problem now, but were when the bird flu was a concern.

Experience does make a difference. We reviewed the Canadian entry facility with Google maps, but did not review the US POE prior to entry. Our mistake.

It was also interesting to come back into CA. No problem with salad lettuce and tomatoes, which we had been fastidious about not taking into Canada or back into the US.

Everyone travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:24 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
After my original post, a retired LEO in Quartzsite mentioned that the Canadian customs officers went through his rig. He was ready for the search because 10 years earlier, the Canadian MP had discovered that people from the US and Canadians who were in their 70s and 80s, had been using their rigs to transport guns, ammunition, drugs and other contraband into Canada.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:43 AM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve recently researched this topic as we prepare for our trip to Alaska this summer. I imagine that with Colorado plates, they’ll be on the lookout for weed in our vehicle. We aren’t bringing anything across the border that could get us in trouble. No weed, no guns, no meat or agricultural products, booze within accepted limits, etc. We’ll have the correct paperwork for our dog, and we’ll have current passports and vaccination cards, etc. We have reservations at Denali National Park, so we can show our destination if asked.

I think that successful and easy border crossing all comes down to being prepared and understanding the requirements. Once we cross the border in Sweet Grass, we’ll stop at the Walmart and/or Costco in Lethbridge to restock with provisions.

I’m fully expecting them to search my rig and we will be ready for it.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #92
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Never had an issue crossing into Canada and we have done it dozens of times. They have never looked into the trailer and only asked the standard questions about wepons and a few food items. Crossing back to the US usually requires the agent to look in the trailer. In the years we have been crossing, we had some tomatoes taken at the US border.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 12:32 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
After my original post, a retired LEO in Quartzsite mentioned that the Canadian customs officers went through his rig. He was ready for the search because 10 years earlier, the Canadian MP had discovered that people from the US and Canadians who were in their 70s and 80s, had been using their rigs to transport guns, ammunition, drugs and other contraband into Canada.

American LEO’s have the reputation of carrying firearms across the border into Canada for personal protection. The last time I entered Canada (pre-9/11) the Canadian Customs Officer asked me where I worked. I told him what LE agency I worked for and I fully expected to get searched but he let me pass. (FWIW, I have never smuggled any contraband across the border.)
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:38 AM   #94

Miami , Florida
One day I went on an unforgettable adventure to the enchanting landscapes of Canada. The trip was full of excitement and anticipation, and little did I know that the customs checkpoint would be the unexpected highlight of my trip. As I approached the Canadian border, I made sure all my documents were in order, including my passports, vehicle registration, and a detailed inventory of the items stashed in my Airstream. My goal was to make crossing the border as comfortable as possible. The customs officer on duty began by asking about the purpose of my trip. I shared my enthusiasm for the trip. The officer listened attentively, nodding understandingly. Next, he inquired about the contents of my Airstream, this is a standard part of the customs procedure. He looked through the list carefully, asking about the quantity of certain items. While he looked around my trailer, we had a friendly conversation about Canada and our shared passion for the outdoors. He generously recommended places to visit along my itinerary, marking them on the map for my reference. It was obvious that this customs officer was proud to represent his country and was eager to provide a warm welcome to travelers. After a thorough but polite inspection, he returned my documents and wished me a safe and enjoyable trip.
This meeting with the customs officer left me with the brightest memories. It served as a reminder of the warmth and hospitality of the Canadian people, showing that even in the most unexpected places, connections can be found that make travel truly remarkable.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:21 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Going into Canada has never been an issue for me, but difficulties often arise with the US coming back in, in my experience.

The Interstate has been searched on the US side, every time, and once while the dog and I were required to go inside the building and wait while they went thru all the cabinets and closet.

This was prompted by failing to declare a couple of bananas in plain sight on the counter.

Once we and the entire rig were sent thru an X-ray machine.

Nothing ever found, of course, but they always seem suspicious.

I smile politely and resist the temptation to remark on what must be a slow day for them.

Maggie