Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Is this gonna be another guns into Canada debate? Been hashed and rehashed.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Is this gonna be another guns into Canada debate? Been hashed and rehashed.
Don't see any evidence of this in previous posts. Has anyone even remotely brought guns up outside of their relevance to the topic, which is border crossing?

Personally, I'm glad our customs officials are doing their job. It's an inconvenience, not a character assassination. Get over it.

Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Most Americans have guns, it's a fact,
No, it's about a third, not most.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #18
Austin , Texas
A number of years ago, I had the same problem, but it was because I was coming to Canada to teach a 5 day class and I had not applied for a work permit. They turned me around at the border (Windsor, driving) and sent me back. Next time, same scenario, they simply sold me a work permit on the spot (Edmonton, flying). At the time it was believed to be retaliation for our new policy requiring a passport from Canadians to cross the border.
wcapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
No Problems Crossing

My wife and I have a summer home in Canada, and our permanent home is in Texas. We cross the border each year at Houlton, Maine with our AS in tow. We've never had a problem. I truthfully answer all their questions, and they only take a quick look in the back of our truck enclosure and trailer. I NEVER violate the customs law of either country, even if it means throwing away produce, etc. If you don't want to toss any excess booze, simply declare it and pay the duty. For whatever reason I always get nervous at the crossing, even though I'm 100% legal, as far as I know.
GLovedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Canadian customs

As a Canadian who enjoys our visits to the US, I apologize for what seems like extreme treatment at the border. Reasons could be varied, but I expect it is the full-timing that put them off. Crossing into US is similar-they want to know we have a home somewhere and are not full time. Once when we gave our address they wanted to know if we owned our home. For some reason that seemed important that day. Usually we have had no issues.

Guns would be the only other thing. Americans usually have them, but most know not to try to take them across the border.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2016 30' International
Woodstock ON , North Fort Myers FL
Crossing from the US into Canada happens thousands of times a day at border crossings all across our country. The Government of Canada and the US Government recently signed agreements which will soon see our shared border crossings staffed by either US and/or Canadian Customs and Immigration Officers. It is entirely possible in the near future US residents entering Canada my be processed by a US Customs and Immigration Officer, and vice versa.

Here are some simple facts:

Entering either country requires first meeting the requirements of the "Immigration"rules of that country. While producing passports and other requested information to the Officer, you, your vehicle and your passengers are in the "Custody" of the Officer and the Government of either country. This means you are "under arrest" by the government as represented by the Immigration Officer. The Officer has complete and absolute decision making authority while you are in the governments custody for the purpose of Immigration, and you must follow direction and answer questions unless you want to return to your home country.

Then this same Officer changes hats, so to speak, and become a "Customs" Officer and begins to enquire as to what you have in your possession for the purpose of Importing into the country either temporarily or permanently. You, your vehicle, possessions and passengers remain in the absolute custody of the government as represented by the Customs Officer. In effect, you remain under arrest until the Officer is fully satisfied.

Unless the Immigration/Customs officer finds some defect in your documents, or discovers you have something in your possession that creates a problem or prevents your entry into either country you will be permitted entry into the country and you will be released from custody as soon as permission is granted.

Every day Immigration and Customs Officers from both the US and Canada find many people attempting entry who fail to meet the requirements of Immigration rules (for example have a serious criminal history) or with respect to Customs rules, have in their possession some prohibited product (for example a pistol). This is exactly why they are there at our borders and this is the job we pay them to do on our behalf.

If you have nothing to hide, then simply accept that you are in the custody of the government and it's Officer, and patiently wait until you are released.

If you don't like the fact that you absolutely will be questioned and perhaps you will be detained even for a short period for further questioning and even a search of your vehicle, then do not attempt a border crossing.

Be prepared when you arrive at either border. Take off your sunglasses. Look the Officer in the eye. Do not engage in frivolous conversation. Answer questions fully. If you lose your patience or demonstrate anger, you will likely suffer further consequences. If you are hiding nothing about yourself or your vehicle/trailer, you have nothing to lose except a few, short minutes!
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
Toronto , Ontario
Apologies to Eagle and Bear for their shabby treatment by my country's surly, officious border agents. We have been treated to the odd surly US fellow crossing at Fort Erie, especially when we crossed with our AS but it doesn't make us determined to never visit the US again! We just have to put up with these guys "doing their job" and know in our hearts that the citizens of our two countries rarely, if ever treat visitors like that. Come see our beautiful country. Don't give up on us because of those CC people. They are not us!! And thank you to Silverlabs for reaffirming how great Canada is!

These forums never fail to provide some really interesting daily reading!!
Maryelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
My wife and I have been to Canada several times; once using our Airstream to visit our married daughter. We've never encountered an issue entering Canada but returning we encountered many more questions about out stay, why, where we went, etc.
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
Toronto , Ontario
And I agree with cbrittan, that if we have nothing to hide when crossing a border, we must respect the job the customs agents have to do. I can only imagine and appreciate the countless surly, lying, creepy people the agents must meet on a daily basis. Wouldn't want that job.
Maryelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
No Bullet Holes

Living in the Seattle area I cross into Canada at Sumas/Abottsford. The first time that I took my Airstream I too was given an extensive shakedown and inspection there. When asked if I had any guns I replied "No and I don't even own a gun", which the agent wrote down on her notepad. Last year, at the same station, I was virtually waved through. I guess they had established my profile.

How do you know you are driving in Canada and not the US? No bullet holes in the road signs.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
I've always experienced more hassles when returning to the States than when going into Canada. We are looking forward to taking the Airstream up there real soon.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I have traveled to the US and other countries for business and vacations and have seen my share of customs officers. The thing to understand is that there are trigger phrases or words that will generally cause them to kick their inquiries up a notch and even though you might think you're describing things exactly the same, the reaction you get from the customs officer will be quite different. As noted by others, if you did not have a solid answer to the "what is your place of residence" question, then that may have tweaked the officer's interest. A similar thing would be the notion of doing casual labour to make a few bucks. When I go to the US, regardless of if it's business or pleasure, it's important to make clear that I will not be taking a job there (eg. I go there "for business meetings", not "for work").
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
San Antonio , Texas
I have found both sides of the border to be the same. Remember you have 'no rights' when dealing with these people. They are not like your local police where they are your friends until you provide them a reason not to be friendly. Their job is to prevent you from harming the country or the people in it. If you respond to their questions and request correctly, you are usually on your way pretty quickly.

Being 'overly friendly' with them is part of the profile red flags they are taught to look out for.

Be sure to thank them for doing the job they hired on to do.

Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote