Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Turn your back...

Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I don't know how well waiting for the toddlers to grow would work out, since at least around here, they start public school at age five at the latest.

Ask yourself who you are doing the trip for, them, or yourselves? Then act based on that.
I had heard if you try turning your back for five minutes the kids will be grown.

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Madisonville , Kentucky
My wife and I are very close to being able to take off. We aren't retirement age yet, but are about to sell the business and retire anyway. Only thing that concerns me greatly is the health insurance issue, but we're going to do it!!! She want's to have a 'home place' and is negotiable as to where it is, and is still willing to spend months on the road. Can't argue much with that. We'll downsize to a Morton Building with a stall for the Airstream to be the extra bedroom, and a yard that can be mowed with a weed eater. I can almost taste it.

Good luck with your decision. I would prefer a pickup, but vans do have a lot of space and one can get enough engine to pull most of what's offered.

BSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
You can get decent deals on gently used Suburbans, quad cab full sized pickups and the like. My personal preference would be a pickup with a cap followed by the Suburban type vehicle then the van.
I have a husband, a toddler, an eight year old and two large dogs. Right now we have a Chevy Silverado crew cab 4x4 as a tow vehicle. It works for now (since it's paid for), but when it dies, I've already told the husband I want a Suburban.
wbcci 7078 :: air 4125 :: tac TX-77
read about our adventures in renovation
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Here's one of my favorites travel blogs. The trip has ended but they really did it right.
A Year About

Good Luck,
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #19
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I don't know how well waiting for the toddlers to grow would work out, since at least around here, they start public school at age five at the latest.

Ask yourself who you are doing the trip for, them, or yourselves? Then act based on that.
I agree completely. If you can do it now without amassing debt, by all means GO! Life is short, and you never know what is around the corner.

My only caution would be that you not try to do too much, as you don't want your little ones to spend hours every day strapped into car seats.
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
If you are interested we are selling one of our tow vehicles- a 2007 Chevy Tahoe (it's pretty well loaded and set up for towing). e-mail or PM me for more info we only need to get about 20K out of it even though Kelly Blue Book says it's worth up to 32K.
(trailers not included )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	93127  
April & Andy Hershberger
3streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #21
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas

Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments, suggestions, and opinions. I think the expenditure of cash along with the tightening of loans will put this plan on hold. I throw out "airstream" at least once a day. I also mention how beautiful my wife looks in the airstream we looked at. Still not working. So rather then tap into our retirement fund now, we're going to postpone this activity for a little while. We looked at a brand new '08 classic 27 at camperclinic in Buda, TX. for $75K - seemed like the best bang for the buck. Next to the '07 classic 27 for $55K that's listed in the classifieds on this website - WOW. That's all the looking we've done though. We want it to be more like a real vacation were we both can hang out with the kids.

Hope to be at the rally in Houston Feb. 10th. bringing the camera for sure!

Thanks again-
Aspen Road Images - Photography by Thomas O'Donnell - Round Rock, Texas
tpodonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I hope you get a chance to take it someday. It would be the adventure of a lifetime! Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
Grammy says go go go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take the wife away, and remember an older airstream can be pulled by a smaller vehicle. Ck the weight. We live in God's country and why not see it while the opportunity can be taken. Happy streamin along.

gail is offline   Reply With Quote