Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Stuff accumulates to fill space available" -Erma Bombeck (I think)

Rule One: Nothing enters the home that another doesn't leave.

I'm currently up to four leaf rakes -- or is it five? -- after cleaning out Dad's carport shed.

Rule Two: There should be a time limit between the two actions of rule one, but the corporate lawyer within is still faddling and fiddling over "reasonability".

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Middle of Somewhere , Else
My mother-in-law grew up during the Depression, and still has the "You better hang on to it, you never know" mentality. One of my acid tests for pitching stuff (timely these days) is "Will this item be any more useful if I lose my job/house/health?" Its amazing how much stuff is STILL useless, even in bad times!

Old 04-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #31
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriilin View Post
My mother-in-law grew up during the Depression, and still has the "You better hang on to it, you never know" mentality. One of my acid tests for pitching stuff (timely these days) is "Will this item be any more useful if I lose my job/house/health?" Its amazing how much stuff is STILL useless, even in bad times!
My wife has a similar problem with what I believe to be a related source: She grew up in post-war Berlin. I call it her bunker mentality.

Lynn
Old 04-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
I like my stuff.

Through most of the '80s and part of the 90's, I leased a 33,000 sq ft. ware house from the Army within an old ordance plant located in Nebraska. I used it to store folk's RVs, cars, etc.

I also used it for the base of operations of the Detail Shop. a low key but profitable car restoration business. During the course of all those years I accumulated tons of stuff - mostly car related.

I was a full timer and when I was "in Town" I just backed my 34" Avion into the warehouse and that was my home base. I had sewer, electric, and water. The water was not potable so I had to use bottled for consumption.

The warehouse was located at the receiving end of what they called a line. The other end of the line was where the completed munitions came out. The whole line was a fenced in area of about 25 acres. There were seven lines in all and mine was line 2. I was know by the locals as the hermit of line 2. In the evenings when "in port" , Zap, my lab mix, and I would run the perimeter. Me on my three wheeled bike and Zap on her four paws. We never had a break in and the gin induced sunsets were spectacular.

Well, to make this long story longer, the Army decided to return the land to it's former agricultural state and they evicted me prior to leveling the facility.
Sales, auctions, and the junk yard disposed of 4 restored Packards (sob) 33 parts cars - tons of parts - 2 old wooden boats - 3 bubble jute boxes - Thousands of old 45's - several complete sets of car magazines - tools - compressors - - the list goes on. I actually did my laundry in a old gas powered Maytag washer. I also had a manikin named Dorthy who always agreed with me. I remember she never changed cloths.

So - I miss my stuff. Each items had a story, a history, a memory. I'd still be there today - Me and ol Zap - running the perimeter long about sunset.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Too much junk?

Hi, I also have too much junk, but it is worth something to somebody. Yard sales and swap meets have made me some pocket change from some of my junk. Some of my junk had been in my garage so long it actually became worth something. I once bought a truck load of car parts for $150.00 and many years later I sold them, piece by piece, for over $1500.00 and considered that a pretty good investment.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Smile

I thought this might fit in here...

trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
When I was a kid, my parents, God rest their souls, used to collect Luis the 14th antiques...we had stuff everywhere, and the house was a pleasing sight. Through them I learned about antiques and gained appreciation for them...getting the vintage Airstream was like moving into a classic antique. But the economy is going to get worse and worse and this house is going to save us, so we don't mind not having a lot of stuff. Less is better.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Well said, RedhawkerII.

I'm thankful I grew up in the family I did, and was exposed to items and ideas they had. It taught me a lot about what I want, and what I don't need. I have much less now than a few years ago, but I feel much richer and lead a better life. Quality not quantity.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, indeed.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Downsizing???

On May 1 and 2nd we had a living estate sale at our house. What was left was put on consignment and donated. We have a 12 X 24 storage which holds our car (first 17 feet) and the remained what we wanted to keep or could not see giving away. We are currently in our AS in Rapid City, SD until mid July, then to Southern CA. We are still getting accustom to living in and with less. We will really be free when the house sells. So far .. It's a Great Life..
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you! It will be an incredibly free-ing experience! Have a great time and travel safe.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #40
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
My husband and I have been on the mission field several times as well and pray to go again soon. Yes, stuff collects again quickly. We are continually purging. I would love to live always ready to go. We are going full-time into our AS in about a month, so we have a renewed interest in ridding our life of excess.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
I am in the same place. I have discovered when coming back I am a 'stuff magnet' and it takes no time at all accumulate it all again. I am going to a ministry school in northern Calif soon and will be fulltiming for my time there. I am so looking forward to the simple life, leaving my years of stuff either at a yard sale or in a very small storage unit at home.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1976 Argosy 26
Fort Smith , Arkansas
The more I get rid of the better I feel. It gives me a rush when I part with something that I once thought was important. Objects and posessions hold you back from feeling free.