Old 04-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Good luck to you Gary, that is so tough. It's great to have friends help as yours are.
Steven

Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" -- Jim Elliot, missionary martyr who lost his life in the late 1950's trying to reach the Auca Indians of Ecuador

Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
We have had relatives die in the last few years and have had to clean out homes of piles of Stuff. And every time, we are reminded that we don't want to leave all our piles for someone else to clean out, and we go on a mission to clean cupboards, storage sheds and closets of Stuff, a lot of which seems to have just come into our house unbidden(Where DID we get that thing???) and has stayed to live with us. So once again we have a huge pile of stuff to add to the estate sale that soon will become necessary. It is my goal to have only the things that we actually use, or love.

I have found that some things are Necessary ( like that punch bowl that only gets used once every few years, but which I would have to go and buy again or rent if I didn't have it, even tho I don't use them often, so they must stay, but if a thing can't give me a good reason for being, out it goes. There will be someone else who will be glad to have it.

It is a very freeing feeling to be rid of the albatross of possessions that you don't need, but still maintain just because you always have. (I have friends who pay rent on storage buildings for years and have never been back to even look at the stuff--what is that all about?)

But of course there are those art supplies and junk in my studio.......precious stuff, every bit of it.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Anne-Marie and I had a mail order bookstore operating from our home and we ran it for 12 years, until March of last 2008. During these years we had all of the walls of the house covered with bookshelves, and a storage unit full of warehoused books. I would buy large lots of books and bring pickup loads of boxes of books home to be sorted in the front room, and all of the mess that comes with it.

One of my sources for books was estate sales, and I eventually partnered with a couple that did estate sales professionally. My position in this arrangement was only clean up at the end of the sale, and not any purchasing favors before or during the sale. So many estates were in order and without unnecessary possessions, but the highlights were the ones that seemed to be the same pile different house, time after time after time.

This exposure to what is left over for the families to deal with is driving us to down size our possessions now, as we are trying to put our life in order, while preparing to full time travel for a few years.

The books are sold and gone except for a box of favorite cookbooks, over 12000, the bookshelves are sold and gone, 33 of them, and we have been trying to clean out the house room by room corner by corner. My advantage is that I have dealt with most items over the years as merchandise and not with emotional attachments. When we are done, we hope to move our personal stuff into a small storage unit in the shop.

Our original launch date for full timing was March 2009, but projects seem to take about three times longer, now that I am retired. The new launch date is September 2009, and I think that this one will hold because #1 Son and his wife are moving into the house.

As each room or corner becomes vacant I feel a bit of relief as it brings us one step closer to being on the road full time.

Five months to launch.

Steve
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
For the first 9 years of my marriage, we moved at least once a year. Initially because I was on active duty in the Marines, after that it became a constant hunt for a better apartment, closer to work, etc. etc.

Every time we moved, we would rid ourselves of things that we hadn't used or no longer needed. It became kind of a ritual and something that I almost looked forward to.

3 years ago we bought a house, and since then have not gone through the shedding ritual that used to happen annually. The upside is that our home address is finally stable for an extended period. The downside is that I can see the "stuff" starting to collect -- a formerly extra room is now a storage room that's 1/4 full, and increasing by the year. We recently had to clean out and rearrange the garage to make room for things, etc.

I kinda miss the days of moving around constantly...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Twice now I have left behind all my possessions and gone to the mission field. Both times we had yard sales and ridded ourselves of all but the 'good stuff' which we stored in one storage unit. Both times I can attest that it did not take any time at all to get back to where we originally were when we got home. I'm convinced we are stuff magnets.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
When I retired from the Air Force in 1984, they packed me up and moved me to my "retirement Home place" All that is STILL in crates stored in my barn. The Wife WILL NOT let me get rid of it.... never been looked at again. All that Oriental crap and European Antiques. Maybe its better unpacked......
My Grandfather got rid of all kinds of things that meant nothing to him, but would have made nice heirlooms for us to remember him. His guns from WWII, shotguns he used in competition shooting, old cars, things he picked up on vacation.

They are just things, but I would have gladly paid him what he sold them for, because they were more valuable to me because they were his. If you've got kids or grandkids, it might be fun to let them pick some things out of the barn that you'll pass on to them someday, and tell them the story behind it. Then get rid of all the other stuff.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Amen to that, Airbassador! I have my grandfather's draft card and discharge papers from World War I. And the lacquered coasters my father brought back for his mother from Japan during the Korean War. Plus a Nazi flag he "liberated" in Europe during WW2. These and other things we'll hand on to our children and grandchildren...

The difficulty is separating the treasures from the trash. You know the old saying - "One man's trash is another man's treasure!" That's why we have yard sales and Ebay! woo hoo!!
Steven
Old 04-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I live with and use my antiques and collectibles every day, and the "family" stuff is safely stored--pictures, keepsakes and all. The good stuff will get passed along, but what I am getting rid of is the "just stuff" that clutters my house. Like the two dozen or so mismatched coffee mugs, the odd pots and pans, 101 crocheted doilies (keeping the favorites) and so on. I'm just keeping what I really want and use.

Believe me, I know about the things that my parents got rid of that I wish I had now, so I usually think pretty hard about what I am letting go! Some things I am already passing on. Let my children store them! (Is that revenge, or what?)

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
My Grandmother gave away trunks of stuff that I would love to have now but then I have to ask myself what would I do with it? Its a big decision to part with things like that but I usually would ask myself, "do you love this stuff enought to move it, Again?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
we are just not in to accumulation...just work, fishing, outdoors...we will see some of these folks that have tons and tons of stuff. We don't need tons of stuff, just basics and living light (especially today)...we are very lucky to have evolved into airstream life and living.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If you are in doubt whether you need something before disposing of it, place the item in a box. Put the date on the box and place the box in a closet. If you come back to the box in a year without using the item, you don't need it.
my wife introduced me to this principle when we got married about 7 years ago. Made my life much simpler! Disposed of the pack rat ways under which i was raised.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
One caveat.... as I simplify my life, I think about those treasures I have that link me to my ancestors. The desk that belonged to my grandmother. The fan that my father gave his mother when he returned from the Korean War. The comb, metal talc shaker, and shaving mug and brush are all that remains of my grandfather's barber shop, where I used to sit on the booster seat in the chair getting my hair cut before he died in 1952. And I ask myself, what do I want to leave to my children, to link them to their ancestors? For me at least, it is a delicate task simplifying, and providing my grandchildren links to their past that they might cherish.
Regards,
Steven
Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
StevenG, we agree with you completely. Our small house has a dining room set my paternal grandparents owned, and two of those pieces were built by my "Dida", a carpenter on Long Island, NY. Our bedroom set belonged to my maternal grandparents in Mississippi. We have other, smaller items from both grandparents, and will pass them on to our children. It is a careful balance, but our ability to physically connect our present to those who came before us is priceless and something to cherish. Not everyone has that.