Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Dog Breed & Firearm Suggestions For FT Single Women

I plan on being a full timer & I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a dog breed that would be protective and would be fine spending time in a small space when I leave the trailer.

Someone told me females are better dogs for women & male dogs are best for men as far as less social problems with people & other dogs. Because dogs think their owners as their mate or companion.

I'd also be interested to have a firearm recommendation since I know nothing about that even though I have had some practice handling a firearm, I'm pretty much clueless.

Any experienced full timers have any thoughts on the subject of protection or self defense? It's a little scary out there sometimes ( being a woman ).

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Hi and welcome! My husband and I travel with a Doberman. Not necessarily for protection, but that aspect is very handy, and the intimidation factor doesn't get any higher! When we got our first A/S, a 23' 77 Safari, we had three Dobies, and all three traveled quite happily in the back seat of the truck, then took up all available floor space in the Safari. We just stepped around and over and all was well. Of course, no one has ever offered us any disrespect, much less anything worse, on all our travels.

Dobies need exercise, so a good morning walk will enable him/her to be a good traveler. When we stop for fuel or our own needs (ahem), dog(s) get a short walk and are then happy to get back in the TV. At your evening destination, another long walk will be enough exercise for the day, and then a final pee walk at bedtime will be it for the day.

We have found that traveling with a dog is good for us, too: forces us to stop regularly and so we get out and exercise, wake up, too.

There's no reason why you can't travel with a dog big enough to help you if need be. I wouldn't feel comfortable without Caliban along on the road, in fact my husband travels a lot on business and I wouldn't feel comfortable even at home without my "Dobiematic." Caliban is very protective without being stupid (i.e., aggressive) about it.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your travels!

Vivian
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Oh, you had mentioned preferred dog gender. We have found, during 35+ yrs of Dobie ownership, that in every case our males bonded a fraction better with me and our females with my husband. Don't know why, but that has been the case. And if you have only one dog, I would prefer a male because they're noticeably bigger than females, about 30lbs heavier and 2-3" taller, altogether more impressive but then most people facing a Dobie are just seeing LARGE WHITE TEETH, probably not relative size!

We occasionally investigate other breeds, but always have wound up with another Dobe and never regretted a single one. I take them through obedience school, so a large person is not needed for control, you just need to train them and be consistent.

Vivian
Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums.

I travel with a geriatric Australian shepherd with really bad arthritis and can usually be found to be unarmed.

Knowing nothing of your background in self-defense I would not presume to recommend a sidearm. I don't believe there's anything about being a full-timer, or traveling in an Airstream, that makes the answer to that question any different than it would be if you had a permanent address. As such I suggest you find a firearms instructor who you trust and heed well their advice.

You may find the Cornered Cat website helpful in providing mindset and jumping off points.

Cornered Cat

Be aware of the legal environment around you as not all firearms laws are as permissive as those in Arizona.

I love dogs. Any of the larger breeds would provide a safety benefit. Like children, they affect your travel plans, where you can stay and what you can do.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Labs are great loving and imposing dogs to others. They are easily trained and loyal to their owner. Probably not mean but their size is enough to keep most people with bad intentions away. They have a great sense for what is right and are very fun loving - you will never be bored.

Guns are a touchy subject. As mentioned above laws change from state to state and even city to city. Some campgrounds even have rules against although I wouldn't know how they would know. If you cross into Canada or much worse MEXICO then I would advise against having one with you. Canada would at least let you check it in and hold it for you when you cross back - handguns are frowned upon. Mexico would throw you in jail.

I don't know what you want exactly but look at a Smith & Wesson 648 or 642 hammerless featherweight 38 special 5 shot revolver. Safe, reliable, easy to learn on and small compact for small frame persons. I have some experience with both of these and have several friends that have them for home defense for their wives. Reloading is easy, maintenance is small, ammo for practice is cheap. And there is the key to gun ownership - know your weapon, use it often, get training.

Get the lab first, you may feel safe enough with a good dog.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Smith and Wesson featherweight is perfect. I have them for a conceal carry and for the barns and Airstream.....and its aluminum.

As for a dog....I love Aussies, however, in your case look at this.cane corso - Google Search
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
We have had German Shepards for years, smart, tough and if their "pack" is threatened watch out. Ours have always traveled well and can adjust to most anything or anyplace. If you haven't been around guns, keep in mind handguns are hard to shoot if you don't practice, practice, practice. 90% of handgun owners can't hit sh*t. If you really feel you need to carry a weapon get a cheap (400.00) 12 gauge pump shotgun. Less hassle than a handgun and its hard to miss at close range.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I love dogs but gave them up when I decided to retire and spend lots of time away from home. You mentioned leaving one for some time at the trailer. They don't like being alone, sometimes are miserable alone and will let your neighbors know it when you are gone. Some do okay.

A concern is your question on a firearm for protection. You must decide, if someone comes at you in a threatening manner, that you are prepared without hesitation to shoot that person. Most people would not. Maybe that person is a genuine threat, maybe not. The firearm may then be used on you.

You will most probably be safer without a firearm. A large dog may intimidate the boogeyman, a small one will let you know if he is prowling around outside your camper.

doug k
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I am partial to Labs but think highly of the doberman. I have more experience with weapons and tactics than I
do with using jack russel terriers for self defense.

A high quality firearms training facility can offer a basics course as well as coceleaded weapons, and evoen advanced conceled weapons. Classes are very worthwhile but won't compare to real life scenarios. I would highly recommend a 9mm thit fits wellin your hand with managegable recoil. I prefer th kp30.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for all the great comments! I tend to be very nervous about a firearm & never wanted to own one so it's good to hear people who travel suggest it might not be needed. I don't really want a dog either but my son said I should have a dog & a gun if I were traveling alone. I think my street smarts & the advise from my friends here will keep me safe. Maybe some pepper spray would be good enough for self defense.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
A Louisville Slugger is cheap insurance and requires no permits. It's a baseball bat, and they make them in aluminum.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
Good thinking, if you're not a dog person don't get one and if you're uncomfortable around guns don't get one. About the only thing that scares me when we're camping is a bunch of yahoos sitting around a campfire, drinking and carrying guns. We ran into a guy in Arizona, carrying a pistol and a Bowie knife and a beer in his hand!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
This is FUNNY
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, a lot of camp grounds only allow dogs that are 20 lbs or less; A little yapee-doo will make enough noise to keep strangers away. If you are only thinking of getting a dog for protection and leaving the dog alone, that's cruel. If you truely want a pet, that's different. Forget the guns and buy a can of bear spray.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Being safe is mostly all about attitude and situational awareness. You're far more likely to die of accidents (10x) or cancer (3x-500x depending on age) than of assault, so figuring out how to take of your equipment and yourself medically while full-timing should be of far greater concern than strangers trying to do you in.

Dogs are great if you like them; their devotion deserves reciprocity. If you're not a dog person, don't get one. If you're worried about getting harassed, a no-nonsense attitude and some basic self defense classes is probably the right approach.

Above all, enjoy the adventure. Fear is there to remind us to mitigate risks - but a fear of falling shouldn't prevent one from taking hikes in Yosemite.

- Bart
Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, a lot of camp grounds only allow dogs that are 20 lbs or less; A little yapee-doo will make enough noise to keep strangers away. If you are only thinking of getting a dog for protection and leaving the dog alone, that's cruel. If you truely want a pet, that's different. Forget the guns and buy a can of bear spray.
Our dog is 20 lbs....and has dobie in her.......somewhere.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream. NorCal Rally. Casini Ranch. April 2009 015.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	152281  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Boo-Boo is 21.7 lbs so we have to lie for him. He barely fits a twenty pound rated box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5945crop.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	152282  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
IMHO dogs are there to serve as a warning system, so the size is immaterial. A smaller dog is also far easier to manage than a dobie or German Shepard. The problem with the larger breeds is that the ones that have a prey instinct MUST be well trained. They are large enough to cause harm and therefore you must be the kind of owner who can exert control over the dog (or go to obedience training and learn). That's a lot of responsibility. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the bigger dogs but lackadaisicle owners and big dogs can be a bad mix. My smaller dogs have been attacked by a neighbors German Shepard (on my property) with devastating results. One should also be aware of the costs of owning a dog because vet care has become increasingly expensive. Personally I can't imagine not having a dog in my life! So my vote would be to adopt something that you connect with and don't focus on the breed or size.

Guns are better left to law enforcement and gun enthusiasts. I grew up around guns, my Dad was foreman of a large Sturm Ruger Plant. Even having experience and a gun friendly attitude, I would never carry a pistol for self protection. Why? Doubt my ability to use it on another person. A baseball bat, a stun gun, pepper spray? No problem and highly recommend. Also am a huge fan of carrying a pen knife in my pocket.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Awe your little doggies are so cute - thanks for posting the photos. I'm an animal lover but I no longer want the responsibility of owning a pet. I live with a Pitbull (my son's dog) right now & he is a great dog because he is well trained & even though he loves people, I know he would sense if anyone was trying to hurt us & attack them. As far as leaving a dog alone...I guess I should have been more specific. If I go to the store or need to take a part time job, sure. I would have to leave my dog in my home (trailer) alone just like everyone else does.

I can see this is a hot topic & I hope I didn't upset anyone here with my inquiries.

Thanks for all your comments & help.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
We have a female Bichon Frise. The Bichon does not shed so no hair to clean up. She is not a heavy eater so clean up is less strenius. She has a nose that will smell problems long before you can hear anything. She is small enough to sleep in our bed. She is agressive when strangers come into your space. She is a great companion and she has no problem being in the trailer alone for several hours. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bichonfrise.htm
As for a firearm I have a 20 ga Remington model 870. It does not have a long barrell, its light weight and easy to load and it is legal in all lower 48 states. If you carry a hand gun it can get you in trouble in certian states. Some states are not fond of you having one in your trailer and you must have it stored to meet their conditions.
Good luck.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Closed Thread