Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Our German Shepherd Freya is a loving and loyal family pet, especially with the kids, and displays all the classic herding dog instincts of alertness and protection, usually limited to just an inquisitive barking/heads up. But when unknown strangers approach the house, she can get excited until she knows he/she isn't a threat to the pack. We fortunately have not yet been in a real threat situation, but I remember my childhood shepherds getting quite touchy when even the neighborhood bully pushed me around once; let's just say the bully was sent scrambling onto a car parked on the street after some growling and bared teeth.

Some considerations for a shepherd or other large breed:
- they can be large (ours comes out of German working lines, average bitch at about 70 lbs) and intimidating to non-dog or non-working dog people, especially owners of "yapee-doo" breeds. Even harmless "heads up" barking, especially the excited kind to other dogs, could lead to complaints in the campground and unpleasantries;
- they shed A LOT; be prepared for battling dog hair in the trailer;
- very importantly, many breeds including shepherds, do NOT do well in the sun/heat. I'd imagine that unless it is plugged in or running generators and air conditioned, your AS could get very hot in the sun, and leaving your dog, especially a double-coated dog like a GSD, in there is going to be dangerous. I say this in case leaving your dog behind in the trailer for guard duty is something you're considering.

In general, GSDs are superb family and protection animals, wonderful companions on the road. Be sure to find a reputable breeder, there's a lot of overbred and problematic GSDs out there with twitchy personalities and bad hips.

Best

Jim
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Do not forget the obvious. If you get a dog that is precieved as an agressive dog you should seriously consider a Liability Insurance. Many times you could be in crowed spaces with other peoples children and animals. One little mistake by your dog could cost you big money.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are campgrounds that disallow specific breeds of dogs, who are historically or perceived to be aggressive, so keep that in mind. Some also disallow dogs over a certain weight.

I doubt you will need a dog for protection, really, if you travel and camp sanely and safely. They do provide companionship and, as others have said, can alert you to real (human) or perceived (raccoons, possum, deer) danger.

I would visit a shelter and look for a medium-to-small sized dog of good disposition. Staff should be able to guide you.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
No Gun No Dog ..............

Another alternative that is often used, especially at night, is lots of light. Be it male or female a good flashlight is always nice to have and if it comes with a little self defense thrown it so much the better. Note the scalloped edges on the front and rear. This thing will literally blind you on it's higher setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04909.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	152288  
Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
REBEE - a 20 ga 870 and a Bichon - now that's a well defended trailer.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
I am a gun enthusiast but don't carry when traveling, more of a hobby. Don't ever ever purchase a gun if you 1) don't know how to use it 2) don't clean it 3) don't know how to break it down to clean 4) and please take lessons from certified instructors!!!
As for dogs, please don't own one if only for protection, they need companionship too. If you want a large breed, they may not do well if left alone all day in a trailer if you work.
If you need a gun and a guard dog, just where are you planning on going? There are many single women that travel by themselves...go on some of the other forums for women rving and get info from them.
Just my 2 cents...
Andi
Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up no dog, no guns, no man....

silverwoman,

Muddy up the boots and leave them outside the entrance door and post the signs......

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	06707315876_20100129080108782.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	152310   Click image for larger version

Name:	ee087s - protected smith and wesson.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	152311  

Attached Images

Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Don't Get a Dog if You Don't Like Dogs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post

I don't know what you want exactly but look at a Smith & Wesson 648 or 642 hammerless featherweight 38 special 5 shot revolver. Safe, reliable, easy to learn on and small compact for small frame persons. .... And there is the key to gun ownership - know your weapon, use it often, get training.
... and don't get a gun until you are well trained and reasonably proficient.
As an NRA Training Counselor and NM Concealed Carry Instructor, I teach more than 100 people how to shoot a pistol every year.
Learn more at Albuquerque Concealed Carry and NRA Instruction

I encourage my clients not to purchase any semiautomatic pistol or revolver until they have had proper training. Proper training includes test firing the huge variety of handguns out there. We try to own one of everything so our clients can see what really works for them.
Though I own and carry the S&W Model 642 Airweight that Clancy recommends, I find that few women like them and fewer can shoot them well. Because they are small and very light, they have a significant felt recoil when loaded with +P self-defense ammo as designed.

As usual, the Robert Cross Method (RCM) is sound. I suggest that single women advertise the presence of a dog and a man. Don't advertise the gun. It makes you a target. Nobody ever needs to know you have a gun.
Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
.....and I humbly bow out of this thread. Hope all works well for you and travel safe.

I don't know all that much about firearms, I only ran the last sanctioned gun club on a NASA facility for 8 years (360+ members, zero incidences of firearms related injuries), NRA range safety officer certified, I'm a certified skeet instructor and I lived through Katrina. The last I mentioned because it's the only time I used a gun in self defense.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Silverwoman, I think you figured out your own answer in post 10. Well done. Enjoy streamin!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
I agree with Alumaholic about proper training and attitude before purchasing a firearm for self defense. An I have echoed Clancy's advice to buy a baseball bat before a firearm. A dog needs more care than a firearm but will give you more love than a Smith and Wesson. Also they can keep you warm at night when it gets cold. A corgi might be a good try, as they are big enough to deal with a threat but smart and calm enough to travel well. At least the ones I have been around are like that. Even a pitbull is not a bad choice if you raise them from a puppy. They are very loyal when they bond, and are very defensive of their family. That being said, I am owned by a cat. Much easier to deal with as long as the litter is clean and the food dish is full. Hmm maybe a pet bobcat would be an idea....

When I do feel the need for a firearm, I have carried an ancient world war 1 Colt revolver or an 1890s Krag army rifle. I have lots of guns, but if I put them in the trailer, they do take up room that can be devoted to fishing rods and tackle.

Good Luck with your search.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman View Post
Thanks for all the great comments! I tend to be very nervous about a firearm & never wanted to own one so it's good to hear people who travel suggest it might not be needed. I don't really want a dog either but my son said I should have a dog & a gun if I were traveling alone. I think my street smarts & the advise from my friends here will keep me safe. Maybe some pepper spray would be good enough for self defense.
"Street smarts and pepper spray" are also good, but I agree with your son. A dog is a good companion in addition to being an early warning and some measure of protection. A gun is simply the strongest tool to defend yourself if the need arises. Definitely take a training class. A good class should allow you the opportunity to try out a variety of guns to see what suits you. If your life is important to you then ignore the whimpering hand wringers and do the right thing.
AIR #10274
Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hardly a whimpering hand wringer, I grew up hunting with guns and I have many at home. But I'm smart enough to leave them at home when I travel.

The right thing is to forget about the gun.

doug k
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Take a concealed course and let your instructor know your concerns you need to know the laws in every state as to carrying a firearm . Consider what to do with your dog if you need to leave him in the trailer for a long time . Be Carefull out there . Les WBCCI #13183
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman View Post
Thanks for all the great comments! I tend to be very nervous about a firearm & never wanted to own one so it's good to hear people who travel suggest it might not be needed. I don't really want a dog either but my son said I should have a dog & a gun if I were traveling alone. I think my street smarts & the advise from my friends here will keep me safe. Maybe some pepper spray would be good enough for self defense.
If you don't really want a dog, then don't get one. Dobies, as guard dogs, are programmed to love their people and want to be with them since guarding is impossible if you aren't there. If they grow up with regular absences from you and being left alone in a trailer, then Dobies are unlikely to be barkers when you leave.

Having said that, we were cat people and had no idea of getting a dog since we both worked and we lived in a condo. However, after finding a body 40' from our front door, we decided on either a gun or a dog (this was NOT in Idaho, BTW). Research showed that 1) a dog is safer (can't be turned against you) and 2) of the breeds big enough to help, healthy enough (no inbred problems), and clean in the house, Dobies were the answer, coldly and calculatedly. Having one changed all that calculation: we consider them to be kids in dog suits and losing one is so painful it hardly bears thinking about. So "not really wanting a dog" is a caution, rather than an automatic no, IMHO.

Vivian
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
We travel with a Doberman 70 lbs (female), Labradoodle 127 lbs(male) and a Newfoundland 135 lbs(female), and we have no issues ever. In fact people won't come near us and our pack. I do have to agree that a Doberman is a great protecter as well as a good companion. But, please do your home work on them before buying one. They need a strong owner and a lot of training, I also would recommend a female as males I have found to over protective with their female owners. All in all I think any dog is great for protection, but a Dobie would be my pick. Just seeing one stops most people from getting to close, unless invited by the owner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2367883019.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	152318  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Wow! There were some great comments so far. Pros and cons - leaving me with some things I never considered like the heat inside a trailer and campground rules I had no experience with. If I ever decide to get a dog, a shelter would definitely be my choice to find a companion.

As far as gun ownership...boy, all that you need to know seems overwhelming to me in addition to my fear, as some mentioned, about having the gun turned on myself. So I think I'll just take that off my list of things I might need.

Since I am trying to early retire, being a single woman, a survivor of domestic violence, out in this insane world today ( which is just going to get more insane), I am not naive to what could happen...or the fact that I could be targeted more easily perhaps than a man or even a couple...I have definitive concerns about the way I want to live off grid at times & travel.

I'm giving up my comfortable home to live with as little money as possible, to have the freedom of not being tied to a mortgage and to see the US for the 1st time in my life and my trailer will be my home so this is a big life change for me.

A lot of thought is going into this new adventure & I really appreciate everything you have to say. Especially the experts on firearms who commented and reaffirmed many points like training & handling I've heard about. Thanks again for the willingness to help & the humor. I'll be sure to muddy up the boots to leave outside the door. I love that idea!

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 03-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Good advice from clancy (post #5), and Alumaholic (post #28). At a point in time several years ago, the thought of walking around with a gun in my pocket was a little out of my comfort zone. Eventually, though, having retired, as well as getting "out there" as a full-time RVer, I forced myself to go ahead and take the training. Now, in retrospect, I can tell you that obtaining a concealed handgun license was one of the nicest things I've ever done for myself, for various reasons. It is a privilege that I take very seriously, and after reading about your situation and concerns, silverwoman, I can't help but think that you'd benefit greatly, too.

See you at Tia Rosa sometime!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, if you're nervous about security, rocks of just the right size make a pretty darned good deterrent. I carry around one or two in areas that scare me, but it is important to select just the right rocks. And some practice throwing so that you also limber up the shoulder muscles also helps.

Last time I was in a scary area was when I visited Bosque del Apache for a week and did several of the trails up into the foothills around there. There were several sightings of a mountain lion stalking other large prey in the area, so I was pretty watchful. I was, however, happy that I didn't see the lion and (therefore) didn't have to throw the rocks.

Lynn
Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Good advice from clancy (post #5), and Alumaholic (post #28). At a point in time several years ago, the thought of walking around with a gun in my pocket was a little out of my comfort zone. Eventually, though, having retired, as well as getting "out there" as a full-time RVer, I forced myself to go ahead and take the training. Now, in retrospect, I can tell you that obtaining a concealed handgun license was one of the nicest things I've ever done for myself, for various reasons. It is a privilege that I take very seriously, and after reading about your situation and concerns, silverwoman, I can't help but think that you'd benefit greatly, too.

See you at Tia Rosa sometime!
I don't know what you want exactly but look at a Smith & Wesson 648 or 642 hammerless featherweight 38 special 5 shot revolver. Safe, reliable, easy to learn on and small compact for small frame persons. I have some experience with both of these and have several friends that have them for home defense for their wives. Reloading is easy, maintenance is small, ammo for practice is cheap. And there is the key to gun ownership - know your weapon, use it often, get training.

Very good!! (As well as the one on trying many types, even if the snubbie isn't the choice).

Easy to use, easy to clean, easy to carry. Training.

And a dog, IMO, of around 35-lbs or more. Trailers are dimensionally smaller than houses or apartments, so dogs have some natural advantages in defense due to their height. And a certain size of dog is not what I'd want to meet in crawling through a broken window. Or that is coming out of a car door at me.

Closed Thread