Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Storage is an interesting part of travel. When I traveled across the world on a Navy ship everything I needed was in my seabag. But it was always full. When we traveled the country in our VW Poptop Camper everything we needed was in the camper. The storage was full. When we travel the country in our Airstream, we have everything we need. The storage is still full.

Truth is we may use about half of what we drag around the country.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
You can rent from Airstream2go.com
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
There is a lot of good advice here and it comes from many folks with a lot of experience.
I think renting one is some excellent advice. You can get a feel for the trailers and what they have to offer.
It has been mentioned already, some KOA campgrounds rent Airstreams. It might be worth it to try one out.
Unique Lodging and Accommodations | KOA Campgrounds
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Dkottum,
Nature hates a vacuum, regardless off how large our small the space, it will be filled with something eventually.
Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good advice Larry. Happens to us all the time. We left home last fall with an almost empty Airstream, by the time we returned this spring everything was full and a couple boxes on the floor. Souvenirs, clothes for the grandkids, a few good deals here and there. Tools! Now the house and shed are a little smaller.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
2 went to Alaska four years ago. A friend wanted us to bring back a ten pound or larger rock home to him.
I went to the beach in Homer, picked up a large piece of coal, went to the post office and sent it to him!
Result. ........ one happy neighbor and a happy wife as she had more space for stuff! One positive thing with an Airstream there is a limit to storage!
Thank heaven! 😀
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #87
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
When I traveled by Motorcycle I would "mail home" the things I wanted but could not /would not carry. Same with the AS. SO FAR.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #88
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Ordering and customization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Dkottum,
Nature hates a vacuum, regardless off how large our small the space, it will be filled with something eventually.
Larry C
Finally, a cold, hard fact in the debate of space! Well put, and quite true.

I looked into the AS rentals at airstream2go.com and found it surprisingly expensive and inconvenient to us as they are in Vegas and we are in Texas. I think we'll just go hang out for as many hours as I can talk Jenn into in an many floorplans as possible over the next 9-12 months. I'm sure we will be confident in our choice when the time comes. Then, we can take a year or so to practice with weekend trips and longer excursions before setting out.

Now, onto another quick question...

I have seen references to folks on this forum who have ordered new trailers and were successful with slight customizations outside the normal options like solar and awnings or request for 16" wheels. Something akin to ordering an International with twins, or a 27FB with the closest from the 28. Can anyone point me in the right direction for threads describing how these requests were made? I've searched, but not had much luck. Perhaps I don't know the magic combo of search terms.
wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #89
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Finally, a cold, hard fact in the debate of space! Well put, and quite true.

I looked into the AS rentals at airstream2go.com and found it surprisingly expensive and inconvenient to us....
direction for threads describing how these requests were made? I've searched, but not had much luck. Perhaps I don't know the magic combo of search terms.
Rentals.. yeah....suggestion:
fly to Vegas... and arrange to stay in an AS instead of a hotel...

I think Special orders are made through dealers. They will get the Mothership to price it out for you..

You might arrange to pick it up at the Mothership... and can watch it being built... that would be kewl...

Wish ya the best!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
wolfhound, they don't do customizations at the production line, only add on the options such as solar, full awnings.

We have the recliners, console, and folding side table components from a 30' FC recliner version in our trailer. It cannot be ordered this way. They built in with the dinette and bench seating, then we had to take it to the Service Center (located next door to production) for the customization.

The Service Center can do almost anything you want, customize to suit you, but you pay full retail for the parts and materials and $110/hr for each man-hour used. Our recliner conversion cost about $4200 for everything, as an example. I didn't think this was too bad. If it was a factory option so the trailer could be built that way it would have cost a couple thousand less.

New Airstreams generally come with much more standard equipment than they did in the past, perhaps to streamline the production line. There is very little flexibility in the way they are built.

You can talk to your dealer about this, aware that they may tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. I would try Airstream Customer Service directly, who may tell you to talk to your dealer. Personal experience of the good folks on this forum may help.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #91
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Thanks for the input. I did speak with customer service at Airstream yesterday and was told that, while they won't do true customizations, they may be able to handle deletions and similar changes. She said that the trick is to find a dealer that will take down my request and call the factory at order time for final approval. For example, deleting the microwave from a 30 to retain more drawers. So it sounds like there could be options on some minor tweaks. But it seems that there might might be a couple of folks on the forum that managed slightly bigger changes from what I've heard tell in various posts. I just can't seem to find the original source of the rumor to determine if it's hogwash, or perhaps something similar to your experience: work done by the service center.

Sent from the æther
Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We were able to swap the standard linoleum for our new model for the standard flooring of a different trim line. Along with that change, we added an aluminum back splash behind the bath room sink..

We tried to get drawers in lieu of the microwave, but that was a no-go at production time. We have the option with a customizer to make that happen.

Switching to 16" wheels and tires happens after the build process, and you end up paying twice for the original wheels and tires that rolled 500 feet and then the new 16" equipment. The 15" stuff goes back to the assembly line.... The only exception in the 2014 model year was the Eddie Bauer model had 16" tires and wheels as an option on their build price list.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #93
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We were able to swap the standard linoleum for our new model for the standard flooring of a different trim line. Along with that change, we added an aluminum back splash behind the bath room sink..

We tried to get drawers in lieu of the microwave, but that was a no-go at production time. We have the option with a customizer to make that happen.

Switching to 16" wheels and tires happens after the build process, and you end up paying twice for the original wheels and tires that rolled 500 feet and then the new 16" equipment. The 15" stuff goes back to the assembly line.... The only exception in the 2014 model year was the Eddie Bauer model had 16" tires and wheels as an option on their build price list.
Wow, interesting. Good to know the microwave/drawer swap would not be an option. And that is also helpful info on the wheels and tires. Not cool on paying twice, with only one set of wheels to show for it. I kind of just imagined it would be a $400 upgrade (or similar) to make the step up. Guess that's not so. That makes it easier for me to just ditch the stock wheels on Craigslist when the time comes and find some black 16" wheels that work well with baby moon hubcaps! That would be a nice touch in my mind
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Does size really matter when full timing?

Quote:
Yes, folks, I'm another man that's hung up on size, so to speak

Here's the skinny: we are expecting our first munchkin in a few weeks, or thereabouts, and are underway with plans to transition to a full-timing family in about two years. In the meantime, I'm trying to do all the homework I can so that we make informed and intelligent decisions.
Thank you to all! I look forward to the conversations ahead.......

We just came back from a short weekend trip with our two grand kids. We have a 30 foot classic.

My suggestion - changed from my previous post!!!:
Get a 5th wheel with 5 slide outs and as much space as you can!!!!
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Realize that length will have its limitations as to just where you may easily park - not all CG are set up for anything over 25. You might squeak in a 27. Let your budget and projected family size be your guide - however, your life style may change as does your family size -at least for a while.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Switching to 16" wheels and tires happens after the build process, and you end up paying twice for the original wheels and tires that rolled 500 feet and then the new 16" equipment. The 15" stuff goes back to the assembly line....
Wow that's messed up.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
A point on the newer 30 RB with the full length cabinets on the sides of the queen bed...lots of storage, especially over the units with the panoramic windows over the bed. I have had a 2007 International 25, 2009 27 FB International, and recently have come out of a 44' motorhome back into a new Serenity 30 RB. And the 54 gallons of fresh water was one factor in the decision for the 30, along with the galley counter space, larger toilet area, and about 75% more closet space than my 27 FB. I decided on the loungers, and these can be reclined enough to sleep on if one wants, but the standard sofa arrangement may have more storage and can be made into a bed quickly. As for the 30 bunk, very nice, but the front bed will not have the full height closets on each side due to the panoramic window. To bad they do not offer a small front window in the bunkhouse floor plan.

And, that is my opinion, FWIW.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4065 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Slightly OT with regard to "full timing", but how is everyone's experience with pulling into fuel stations with 25-30+ long AS's? Do you ever have difficulty? Do you ever have to leave a station and search for an easier option? Also, diesel pumps are usually limited in most stations, is getting access to those especially difficult while towing longish trailers? Where do you park while stopping to shop? In my small hybrid SOB it was easy to take two spots and stay inside the lane ways in most parking lots but I'm concerned with what I'm going to do with another 10+ feet.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #99
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
As for the 30 bunk, very nice, but the front bed will not have the full height closets on each side due to the panoramic window. To bad they do not offer a small front window in the bunkhouse floor plan.
It sounds like you've tried a few Airstreams in your time so far. That's excellent, hope the 30 Serenity you've got now is THE keeper! That's a big draw of the 30: storage galore.

I'm stumped, but each 30 Bunk I've been in (2013+) with the front bedroom does have the wee window and large closets flanking the queen size bed. That was one of the things I liked about it, despite that the trailer feels more closed in missing panoramic windows on both ends. Sigh. I've noticed you can get it with the dark tinted corner window protectors to keep the aluminum nice and purdy beneath them, but there are no windows behind them which is a bit odd when you realize that.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #100
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Slightly OT with regard to "full timing", but how is everyone's experience with pulling into fuel stations with 25-30+ long AS's? Do you ever have difficulty? Do you ever have to leave a station and search for an easier option? Also, diesel pumps are usually limited in most stations, is getting access to those especially difficult while towing longish trailers? Where do you park while stopping to shop? In my small hybrid SOB it was easy to take two spots and stay inside the lane ways in most parking lots but I'm concerned with what I'm going to do with another 10+ feet.
As I have absolutely no experience with this yet, I'll offer up my opinion Take it for what it's worth...

I have the same concern because, while I love my new Cummins turbo diesel, I feel like my truck alone is about 35' long. I think the saving grace for diesel travelers pulling a trailer is that we can take advantage of the big, breezy pull-throughs that the truckers use at truck stops. Granted, that's not of much help without the big truck stop, but it helps me sleep at night. Otherwise, I'd have nightmares of pulling into a station only to see a plastic grocery bag covering the only available diesel pump and no way out but the way I came, and everyone is honking when I kick into reverse. Gives me the cold sweats!