Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Does size really matter when full timing?

Go for the bigger trailer. Guaranteed that if you start small you'll soon wish you had a larger one. We, as so many on this forum, started with smaller units and then moved "up" as the family or other needs demanded. We started in 1973 with a tent, then moved up to a 15 footer, then 22, then 26, then 28 all SOB and now for the last 10 years a 30 foot Classic. Financially we had to start small and then as our financial situation improved and the family got larger we moved up. If you have the finances to go bigger do it. Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Anyways, there are various levels of trade of/compromises. You just have to determine what works for you.

I personally push for trying less first, because it's easier to scale up then down. I don't know how to say this in a nice internet voice, but I tend to think people in general blow things out of portion when they talk about all the stuff you're going to need and saying that childern in an airstream will be insane.

I usually roll my eyes at this nonsense. But it's everywhere.
I agree. We have three children and travel in a '26 Overlander. We don't fulltime but last year we did stay in our trailer for a month while we were moving. I recognize that a month isn't the same thing as full-timing. We felt like we were in the trailer long enough that when we moved into our new house it was hard to comprehend what were were doing with so much stuff! (We had everything we really needed for FIVE of us in that '26 foot trailer.)

You can make it work with a smaller trailer. Really, you can. However, if you'll lament the extra 2 feet (or 3 feet or whatever) then just go ahead and get it in the first place.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

So, back to the topic at hand: trailer size. I think we could possibly squeak by in a 25FB, but I believe the 27FB is really as small as we would want to go....I believe I'm partial to the layout and space of the 30. I'm a tall guy, and that larger lavatory space would be nice, as would the additional storage the trailer provides. If it matters, I plan to be working full-time as a software developer, so I need space to store the work gear and spread out a bit to get things done.

Here's the big question: would springing for the larger trailer - the 30 over the 27FB or 28 (same exterior lengths) - limit where we can take it and stay? I've not had a trailer before and I just have no concept of how big the 30 feels when squeezing it into a campsite... The ability to boondock and stay slightly off the beaten path is very important. Assuming this means relatively tame dirt/fire roads, how will this come into play. I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and it seems the general consensus is that 25' or smaller is best for true boondocking access, but I don't believe that size is a realistic option for us (unless you fine folks can show me otherwise). I suppose one perk for the 30 with boondocking is larger fresh water tank.

Thank you to all! I look forward to the conversations ahead...
I think you have answered your own question. Looks to me like you want a 30 footer, and I agree with you. In my opinion the towing difference between 25,27, and 30 is about 0. The difference between camping in a 25,27, or 30 footer is 11 (think Spinal Tap here, "but this one goes to 11"). When you move into a house, if the bathroom, or kitchen isn't right... Game over!

My advice is to pick up a 30 footer that you can customize for your use, and that has the bathroom and beds that you like. That is what I did to our trailer, we never eat inside, so I took the dinning area out and the "entertainment" center that was built for a laser disk player and a 27 inch CRT TV. It was a minor change that made the main living area huge inside. (I'm in visioning baby on the floor playing, with lots of space). We use a Rubbermaid folding table that I have stowed next to the fridge, on the off chance that we need a table inside. Add folding chairs on one side and the couch on the other and we have inside gaming and dinning.

Edit: just to clarify, do not full time. Take my opinion with that in mind.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
We are in the similar boat as you are- looking at 29-31 footers to full time with three boys - 14,11, and 6.... Our biggest battle is rear or mid bath- and bunk space... Adding bunks- changing layouts, etc... Trying to keep it simple and "hopefully" everyone happy.....

Best of luck...
Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #25
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
I am really liking the diversity of input here, and the experiences that each of you have that drive your opinions on the matter. I assumed before asking that not everyone would be encouraging of the general idea, but the thoughts shared are no less valid nor helpful. Nonetheless, this is certainly something that we must try for us.

In the conversations I've had, many people have said something akin to "better you than me" when talking about the idea of raising tiny wee-ones in a small metallic trailer. But hey, life ain't all gumdrops and unicorn farts I reckon some days will be absolutely splendid, and others may have us scratching our decision-makers. That said, I'm hopeful that we will have many more of the splendid days, showing them what an amazing earth we live upon, and fostering as much imagination as we can squeeze out of their little heads (if, indeed, 2 is in the cards for us).

Our reason for exploring this path in life extends beyond wanderlust. It's more about family, I believe. The ability for us to spend more time with family that is spread about the US. An attempt to reduce the distractions in life to a minimum so that we can focus on being a family and raising children to the best of our abilities. I look around and see how people in our neighborhood are tearing down perfectly nice older homes to replace it with something 2-3 times bigger. It makes me sad - people, in large scale, seem to be losing sight of what should really matter in life (our relationships, etc) because of the distractions of 'more' and/or 'better.' We simply want to try something else, for us.

So, I am being very mindful of all the input, and listening carefully to those encouraging us to consider the smaller trailer. While I'm leaning toward the 30, I'm not resolved to it. I love the way that Worksology modified their bedroom to be multi-use space, and it has me thinking hard on a twin model, where one bed can be yanked and the other widened a bit.

I had not seen that video, Bold, so thank you for sharing. It's quite a beautiful film. They have a great photo tour of their AS that I only saw last night after catching a glimpse of the bunks they had put in during the video. What a great little trailer! I can't access the link to the trailer tour here at work, but I will try to edit this post to share later. It certainly is worth seeing for anyone else that happens along this post wondering about trailer size like we are.

Piggy Bank, thank you for the book suggestion. I've seen it, but have not picked it up for a read. I will look for it when I hit the library next week. I think you're right, it's often not so much about how much space we have, but how well it is used. Floorplan does make a huge difference!

We have also poked our heads in a few SOB trailers and fifth wheels, but we ultimately want something that lasts. We can't really get past the styling of traditional SOB trailers - holy cow, they come with kitchen islands! - and while the space feels nearly as big as our current home, they just don't yank the heartstrings like the AS does. I want something that is part home, part heirloom. A product that has the propensity to stand the test of time.

At any rate, I love all the input. Someday'59, thank you for the words of encouragement! Uzzah, I appreciate the Spinal Tap reference and think it's fantastic that your trailer had a laser disk player! Almost cooler than an 8-track.

I look forward to any additional input that may find it's way to this thread as we try our best to simplify our life. Cheers to all.
wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstreams are not as solid as you may think, they are actually quite delicate and require lots of ongoing inspections and maintenance to stand the test of time. That's true of all but the simplest trailer brands. It's just that spending time and money maintaining an Airstream is worth the trouble.

The idea of raising a family while working, all in maybe 200 square feet, parked on land that belongs to someone else seems dreamy, without reality to me, and we both had Navy careers while traveling extensively for years. We still do, but we've always had a home port.

I'm not a fan of suburban life, near the automobile hell of any large city. If that's your plight I certainly understand getting the heck out. Maybe a little home in the country or at the edge of wilderness, with a small Airstream to explore the country months at a time could be the best of both worlds.

Is the dog in your avatar yours?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My issue would be storage, and closet space. My current 30' unit has a single closet since we chose the center bath model. Personally while we like that space, that space comes by substituting a double closet with a single. So consider food storage, clothing (especially multiple seasons if you full time). Consider a slide out for the extra space it provides.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #28
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
I
We have also poked our heads in a few SOB trailers and fifth wheels, but we ultimately want something that lasts. We can't really get past the styling of traditional SOB trailers - holy cow, they come with kitchen islands! - and while the space feels nearly as big as our current home, they just don't yank the heartstrings like the AS does. I want something that is part home, part heirloom. A product that has the propensity to stand the test of time.
This is exactly why we are going to get an Airstream. We originally looked at 5th wheels, but kept getting drawn back to the Airstream.

It's just the two of us, but we are looking at 31' models. It is what we feel will be best for us.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
30 foot Flying Cloud

I own a 30 foot trailer myself and yes I could go for smaller as I don't have kids. What I love about the 30 foot is the storage space, kitchen counter space and the sofa bed + extra table in the living you woudn't have in the 28 foot, so for 2 foot more it's worth it! And for its size, its not that heavy. I'm about 6998 pounds with all my stuff on a scale so it could be worst! It feels like a little studio on wheels and it can sleep 6 people so that's not to bad!

It's for sale now if someone is interested, as I mentioned I'm by myself so smaller would work for me as I don't need that much space!
Melimelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #30
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Is the dog in your avatar yours?
Yup, that's George. He always looks a bit like a Muppet, with clumps of hair going this way and that. Not the biggest wolfhound ever, but he can still clear a kitchen counter on all fours - thankfully, he's better behaved than that. He's such a softie.

Also, I know what you're saying about the AS and maintenance. It just seems like one of the better buys in the RV world if you want something that looks nice and has the capacity to be around as long as you take care of it. I think if you slap a cross-section of an AS next to that of SOB it would be quite clear why they have better odds in the long term though. There's quite a bit more wood in the SOB (if kept dry, not a bad thing) and MDF in the lesser models. Water seems to have a way of getting into all RVs at some point in their lives, but if that happens to the AS, the floor can be replaced under the shell and, assuming all leaks are sorted, it's ready to go once again. Big task, for sure, but many have done it. I feel like more of the old SOBs just get sent to the landfill. I don't know this to be a fact though - just a gut feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
My issue would be storage, and closet space. My current 30' unit has a single closet since we chose the center bath model. Personally while we like that space, that space comes by substituting a double closet with a single. So consider food storage, clothing (especially multiple seasons if you full time). Consider a slide out for the extra space it provides.

Jack
Jack, I definitely agree - utility of storage concerns me most. I don't require a lot in the closet department since we are both fairly simple in our clothing needs. I tend to get by on 4-5 shirts, 1 jeans, 1-2 shorts, and odds and ends. And Keens. Can't live without the Keens The winter stuff is bulkier, but we won't require too much as we plan to chase mild climates for the most part. And I can always stash a tote of coats, gloves, etc in the truck bed under the shell.

I've noticed the Flying Cloud models seem to have a wee bit more storage than the International due to some cabinets where vista view windows might be in the upgraded trailer. I've also noticed the 28 model loses a dedicated pantry, which concerns me as you might have to force the wardrobe to do dual duty. Not optimal. As far as pantry space, I like that of the 27FB the most.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #31
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagey View Post
This is exactly why we are going to get an Airstream. We originally looked at 5th wheels, but kept getting drawn back to the Airstream.

It's just the two of us, but we are looking at 31' models. It is what we feel will be best for us.
It's funny how something you can't see on a floor plan or read in the specs has such a big impact on the decision - it just has to feel right! Hope you find the one you love.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Does size REALLY matter when full-timing?

^ every model has their advantages/disadvantages. Yes, the 27 has a pantry and larger wardrobe but for us the separation between dinette and seating was important, especially when kids will be sleeping there well before you go to sleep. This isn't as big of a deal when it's beautiful camp fire weather, but when full timing you could be inside for a few hours after the kids go to bed. We chose a 28 and believe we made the right decision for us (we aren't even close to retirement) but I always felt the 30 is a much better option for either full timing or spending multiple months on the road. The 30 we looked at is very similar (to the 28) but a bit bigger everywhere...more seating, more storage, bigger kitchen etc.

Either way, good luck.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #33
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up I full heardtly agree

For anyone else wondering:

Worksology
W:1337stream
Instagram:Instagram
Instagram

Malimish
W:Mali Mish - An Airstream Travel Blog
Instagram: instagram.com/malimish_airstream

Quote:
I
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagey View Post
This is exactly why we are going to get an Airstream. We originally looked at 5th wheels, but kept getting drawn back to the Airstream..
Dear god yes! I can't stand the interiors of most trailers. No offense to the classic owners, but all that oak makes me want to vomit.

Every other trailer we looked at the interior styling is like some horrible collection of floral patterns and designs from the 80's & 70's.

My wife is 29, I just turned 32. We care about design. I work in a field were design is important. The International Signatures just speak to our aesthetic tastes.

I mean geez. This thing, stuck in the 90's or something. Vomit.

Plus, why do all the other trailers lack windows? Seriously. Oh you have 4 plastic windows.

We just fell in love when we toured a 27ft FB International Signature, all the windows, the skylights, so much natural lighting coming inside the trailer.

I know to some folks a car is just a tool. And so they apply that logic to a trailer. Not me. I cannot live inside a big beige box. My life is not beige and will not be defined by beige.

And sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would get the 30-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia

We have a 28 Serenity. Plenty big for us, and when the nieces go with us plus the cat, its full house. Not crowded like our previous S.O.B. was, granted it was 22'. So the 28 is an upgrade for us. The main closet in the middle of the trailer is pantry and storage, but there are two closets in the back on each side of the bed and mega storage under the bed.
28, 30, 31 its all good. I wonder if they fired up the PanAmerica production line again, I bet they would sell too.

We still have empty storage in the 28.
Go Big
have a good one !
Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #36
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
cory_can, you bring up a great point: early bedtimes. All this really warrants some thought as I'm not sure I'm terribly comfortable have the kiddos sleep up front by the door. Let's be honest, this is much less than ideal should we suddenly find we must deal with zombies. I'd probably sleep more comfortably knowing I was between the door and the kiddos. This would be a moot point with the 30 Bunk model, but I'm still not sold on it. Yet.

Bold, no hijack at all... mainly because I share the sentiment

I just don't get it, why do nearly all RV manufacturers go the same direction regarding interior design? It must have something to do with suppliers on materials, etc. Perhaps it's what the vast majority of the RV marketplace demands: a dreary beigeathon with tacky fabrics and boxy window coverings. I mean, check out this McMansion on McWheels by Jayco. If I'm not mistaken, this thing also comes with a ...wait for it... walk-in closet.

I love that the out-the-window view shows it being parked on a nice sandy beach. I somehow doubt that big, heavy sucker was pulled out on the beach! I don't think I'd even risk pulling a 27 AS out on a beach. Anyway, they don't do it for us; aesthetic design is far too important. And I'll take the panoramic windows any day.

Pro tip to the RV industry: not all buyers long for recliners and big-screen TVs, outdoor TVs, or even portable recliners than can be deployed in front of said outdoor TV. Not me, at least.

Tyvekcat, you have pinpointed one of my favorite elements on the 28 and 30 floorplans: the cozy closets in the bedroom. I love their use of space and how they give the bed a cocoon-like feel. I also love that the 15s have USB ports in both cubbies for charging iDevices, as we both rely on ours for most everything and tend to charge them each night. Those closets are great.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #37
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
I didn't realize that posts with links to photos required moderation. So, if we should later get 2 or 3 repeat posts, please forgive me. I'll come tidy up later

And here I thought they were getting sucked up and blown away, never to be seen again. Well, next time I know!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Wolfhound, I would suggest you try and look at as many sizes and models of Airstreams as you can. All of them are cool, but you will find that some will work better for you. Unless you have very deep pockets, I would consider gently used. You can live in it, get a feel for it and figure out what works and what doesn't for you. Lots of folks here have years of experience camping and living in Airstreams.
If George is going with you, you will enjoy a bit of extra room
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
^i agree - we've looked at so many- 2 just today... We are certainly doing the 29+ just for space - good luck to you.... I wish I had someone "experienced" to with me - but checking back on here has helped a lot....
Old 08-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Get the Whale!

I have been pulling a 34 foot Avion for the past eight years. The Avion is shaped like the current model Airstreams...a bit more squared off than the older Airstreams. Not quite as sleek as the old classic ones, but a lot more usable space. Avion also rates their trailer lengths differently....Avion rates the "box." So a 34' Avion is actually 35ft 11in. A 34' Avion is a little bigger than a 34' Airstream.

That being said, it is GREAT! The triple axle trailers tow like a dream (much better than my Airstream 31' Excella that I had before) and the extra 3' (5' in the Avion compared to the Airstream, who do measure "bumper to ball") is very welcome.

I have "talked" (argued) with guys on here that haul 9 kids in a 20' trailer and they say it's great. I say that's prison, and want no parts of it.

All of these trailers are small.

I had a post on here a few years ago where I said the silver trailers are too small and I'm thinking about getting a fifth wheel. Dude, you haven't seen the HATE like I got on that one

Anyway, in eight years and 30,000 miles of towing this 36' long Super Silver Twinkie, I have NEVER had a campsite I could not get in to. I had one this summer, the very first one, that was really a bit tight....but the campground misrepresented it as a site worthy of a 34 foot travel trailer and it was really suitable for a 25 footer.

You can talk to the Yurt guys and the Tent guys and they will all tell you that a 16' Bambi is just fine. Whatever. I used to walk into the woods with a Bowie knife, make my own shelter out of sticks and leaves, and come out three days later. I will take my 36 foot silver tube with the King size Simmons Beauty Rest plush firm in the back and the custom bunk bed for the two kids in the front any day of the week, month, or year.

I also tow with a Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. Hard to find a better truck in my ever humble opinion. You could hook two of any Airstream ever built together and pull them with that truck. You could also get a Raptor MP30 fifth wheel toy hauler and haul you, your two kids, your big dogs, your Harley, your Polaris Ranger, and ten of your friends with it.

If you are dead set on an Airstream, get the biggest one you feel comfortable with and never look back. I wouldn't even consider a 25 footer. Nor a 27 footer. Not with your truck. I'd start with a 30, and look hard at the 34 foot slide out wide bodies. There might be one place in a thousand that the extra few feet keep you out of. I haven't hit one yet.

Have fun,