Old 06-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Do I really need one of these?

From a previous post, many of you know that I am launching into FT RVing on the 1st of August. I'm trying to take every REASONABLE precaution, that I can afford, to prevent unnessary grief down the road.

Here is my question. How mant times have you arrived at your camping site in your RV, that requires 30 amp service, only to find the 30 amp service inadequate, for some reason, and you whipped out your 30 to 50 amp adapter, plugged into the 50 amps and saved the day?!!

So.......do I really need a 30 to 50 amp adapter that costs around $20.00, plus shipping.....and just how often will I need to use it?

Bill

Old 06-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
if your 30 AMP service is inadequate you have other problems.
I have one, but not for the reasons you stated. I have arrived at a campground and the factory to find the 30 AMP outlet non-functional or unavailable. A 50 AMP was near by.
Get the adapter. It will avoid a headache down the road.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
I have never had the problem you described. On rare occations, I have needed a adapter 50/30 because the site only had 50 amp receptical avalible. If you unit is designed for 30 amps then it should never draw more than 30 amp. Two exceptions 1. If you have added a lot of electrical load like space heaters or 2. If the voltage in the park drops below 110. If the voltage drops, the current draw increases to produce the same wattage. Neither of these issues will be resolved by a 50 amp adaptor. Your units electrical system will be overloaded. You should be ok without spending the $$ for an adaptor, just watch out for the toaster oven and electric heater or A/C at the same time.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
Bill,

Most of the time you will not need the 50 to 30 adapter. If you normally only travel to the same one or two places you may never need it. I have travelled extensively. About 3 years ago after the second time I found myself needing one I bit the bullet and bought one. I have never used it!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I should have been a bit clearer. What I meant to say was that everything is OK in your RV, power wise, but the 30 amp service from the campground is faulty, for some reason or other.......but the 50 amp is OK. Hence, the 50 to 30 adapter saves you. How often have you had that happen? Bill
Old 06-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
How often have you had that happen? Bill
I needed one once, didn't have one, so I had to relocate to another site.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Wink

I would not just run out and buy one! If you run into the situation you describe, then get one. Most 30 and/or 50 amp outlets also have 20 amp outlets so you would have power if you carry a 30/20 adapter (a $2.00 item) Just can't run the big loads i.e. A/C.

It's a real test to determine what to carry and what not when you travel. I've been RVing for about 45 years and still tend to carry to much. My rule is "if I have not used it in a year" get rid of it - of course, next time out I always need it. I tend to focus on out door items. A good folding chair, outdoor cooking stuff - bug spray
Old 06-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
I tend to focus on out door items. A good folding chair, outdoor cooking stuff - bug spray
Fortunantly, I have all those items covered. But, I'll check to see if Wal-Mart has the 30/50amp adapter, at a good price, and if they do, I'll invest in it as a "just in case" item. Bill
Old 06-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
20/30/50

this weekend i pulled into a site, and after circling a couple of times settled on a site i liked which happened to be 50amp. they had a 20 amp to plug into so used that. I thought this ok as i plug in at home using the 20 amp adapter. I manage AC, refridgerator, and associated lighting on this setup, but do wonder about a toaster, coffee pot and other stuff all going at once. I've wasted $20 on less useful stuff so will probably keep a 30 to 50 amp adapter in the back from now on. Take the one from your laudry room if you have to
Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have one, but not for the reasons you stated. I have arrived at a campground and the factory to find the 30 AMP outlet non-functional or unavailable. A 50 AMP was near by.
Get the adapter. It will avoid a headache down the road.
I have pulled into some parks and found that the 30 amp plug was wired into a 20 amp breaker. This is more of a P.I.T.A. than anything.
What sucks is when they do something like this and then have no other high-amp outlets.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have the 15 Amp adapter and the 50/30 Amp adapter; I have only used the 15 Amp adapter when at home. I would buy the 50/30 Amp adapter just in case you ever need one. As a mechanic would tell you; "A twenty dollar tool is worth a whole lot more when you need one and don't have one to do the job." Chances are if you are camping and need one they won't have one or it will be double the price or more.
To me the 50/30 Amp adapter is like a spare tire, I hope I never have to use it, but it's there when I do. Just my opinion!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Rbt is Correct. It only takes once to need it. I's rather spend the bucks and have it than to need it and be without.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Talking

Well Bill, I might have one I could donate. Hmmm, now where might that thing be ??
Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
Well Bill, I might have one I could donate. Hmmm, now where might that thing be ??
Hey David.......I like "donate".......I'll pay the shipping! .......that is, if you can find it! Tightwad Bill