Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Do I really need one of these?

From a previous post, many of you know that I am launching into FT RVing on the 1st of August. I'm trying to take every REASONABLE precaution, that I can afford, to prevent unnessary grief down the road.

Here is my question. How mant times have you arrived at your camping site in your RV, that requires 30 amp service, only to find the 30 amp service inadequate, for some reason, and you whipped out your 30 to 50 amp adapter, plugged into the 50 amps and saved the day?!!

So.......do I really need a 30 to 50 amp adapter that costs around $20.00, plus shipping.....and just how often will I need to use it?

Bill
Old 06-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
if your 30 AMP service is inadequate you have other problems.
I have one, but not for the reasons you stated. I have arrived at a campground and the factory to find the 30 AMP outlet non-functional or unavailable. A 50 AMP was near by.
Get the adapter. It will avoid a headache down the road.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I have never had the problem you described. On rare occations, I have needed a adapter 50/30 because the site only had 50 amp receptical avalible. If you unit is designed for 30 amps then it should never draw more than 30 amp. Two exceptions 1. If you have added a lot of electrical load like space heaters or 2. If the voltage in the park drops below 110. If the voltage drops, the current draw increases to produce the same wattage. Neither of these issues will be resolved by a 50 amp adaptor. Your units electrical system will be overloaded. You should be ok without spending the $$ for an adaptor, just watch out for the toaster oven and electric heater or A/C at the same time.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
Bill,

Most of the time you will not need the 50 to 30 adapter. If you normally only travel to the same one or two places you may never need it. I have travelled extensively. About 3 years ago after the second time I found myself needing one I bit the bullet and bought one. I have never used it!
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I should have been a bit clearer. What I meant to say was that everything is OK in your RV, power wise, but the 30 amp service from the campground is faulty, for some reason or other.......but the 50 amp is OK. Hence, the 50 to 30 adapter saves you. How often have you had that happen? Bill
Old 06-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
How often have you had that happen? Bill
I needed one once, didn't have one, so I had to relocate to another site.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Wink

I would not just run out and buy one! If you run into the situation you describe, then get one. Most 30 and/or 50 amp outlets also have 20 amp outlets so you would have power if you carry a 30/20 adapter (a $2.00 item) Just can't run the big loads i.e. A/C.

It's a real test to determine what to carry and what not when you travel. I've been RVing for about 45 years and still tend to carry to much. My rule is "if I have not used it in a year" get rid of it - of course, next time out I always need it. I tend to focus on out door items. A good folding chair, outdoor cooking stuff - bug spray
Old 06-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
I tend to focus on out door items. A good folding chair, outdoor cooking stuff - bug spray
Fortunantly, I have all those items covered. But, I'll check to see if Wal-Mart has the 30/50amp adapter, at a good price, and if they do, I'll invest in it as a "just in case" item. Bill
Old 06-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
20/30/50

this weekend i pulled into a site, and after circling a couple of times settled on a site i liked which happened to be 50amp. they had a 20 amp to plug into so used that. I thought this ok as i plug in at home using the 20 amp adapter. I manage AC, refridgerator, and associated lighting on this setup, but do wonder about a toaster, coffee pot and other stuff all going at once. I've wasted $20 on less useful stuff so will probably keep a 30 to 50 amp adapter in the back from now on. Take the one from your laudry room if you have to
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have one, but not for the reasons you stated. I have arrived at a campground and the factory to find the 30 AMP outlet non-functional or unavailable. A 50 AMP was near by.
Get the adapter. It will avoid a headache down the road.
I have pulled into some parks and found that the 30 amp plug was wired into a 20 amp breaker. This is more of a P.I.T.A. than anything.
What sucks is when they do something like this and then have no other high-amp outlets.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have the 15 Amp adapter and the 50/30 Amp adapter; I have only used the 15 Amp adapter when at home. I would buy the 50/30 Amp adapter just in case you ever need one. As a mechanic would tell you; "A twenty dollar tool is worth a whole lot more when you need one and don't have one to do the job." Chances are if you are camping and need one they won't have one or it will be double the price or more.
To me the 50/30 Amp adapter is like a spare tire, I hope I never have to use it, but it's there when I do. Just my opinion!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Rbt is Correct. It only takes once to need it. I's rather spend the bucks and have it than to need it and be without.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Talking

Well Bill, I might have one I could donate. Hmmm, now where might that thing be ??
Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #14
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
Well Bill, I might have one I could donate. Hmmm, now where might that thing be ??
Hey David.......I like "donate".......I'll pay the shipping! .......that is, if you can find it! Tightwad Bill
Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Wink

Mumble mumble - grunt - nope not there - must be with the stuff from the old Avion - mumble - grunt - nope - maybe with the stuff from the Agrosy - I remember I bought it in Nebraska, they didn't have a 50 amp hookup in the whole state! Got it pretty cheap too. Mumble - grunt - grunt perhaps it sold in that big yard sale in the late 70's mumble - - -
Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We stayed one night in Montana at a funny little park with a bunch of 50a posts, a few 20a posts, and one 30a power post. We didn't have a 50-30 adapter (still don't) so took a site we otherwise would have avoided to get 30 amps. A subsequent campground offered the adapter for over $25. We'll wait until we return to the states and can get to a Camping World. Club price is around $14? That'll work.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
3 grey wirenuts and a screwdriver.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
What we really need on our trips is our 20 amp adapter. Our power needs are very modest, basically enough to charge the battery.

Lynn
Old 08-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I've been to two campgrounds where the need for a 50/30 adaptor came up - both times the campground host said "we can rent you one" - all totaled up it would have been about $10 for 5 nites in two campgrounds. Since this is our first year - with many more to come and the direction of campgrounds are towards bigger energy hog campers - I would say it's a wise investment. Walmart has them for under $17 - so in time - FULL TIMING - you will get your money back.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote