Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
Dirty Laundry

I was wondering where you put your dirty clothes in your trailer. I wish I could have some sort of laundry shoot.
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
We use suction cups on the shower wall and hang a mesh bag. When we shower it comes out, the hooks stay in place. Easy, out of site, breathes, etc.
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Our 77 and 89 have a hamper built in. I do not use them because they do not breath and you have to transfer cloths to a bag anyway to take them to the Laundromat. We have a collapsible clothes bag ( only cost $1) that sits in the shower until we go. less work and handling that way.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mesh bags work well, stored in the bathroom. We found one that is a duffle bag, and will hold a weeks worth of laundry.

The worst thing about dirty clothes is their tendency to ferment. . When we are traveling, I do a couple of loads every 5-6 days if I can.

I remember my parents with their big Winnebago, and my mother had a 5 gallon container with lid that she would put a few things in with water and a bit of detergent. The motion of the RV provided agitation to clean, then she would rinse and hang them out when she stopped.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Found a mesh laundry basket with spring steel frame at Walmart. Fits inside the wardrobe closet on the floor, folds flat for storage, easy to carry the clothes to the laundromat in it.

Of course, keeping the laundry basket in the wardrobe closet with the clean clothes also means I need to keep an air freshener inside the closet, but such is life.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
We re-did our wardrobe, and basically built shelves in it rather than the hanging clothes. When I built it, I made one of the shelves much larger than the rest, to accommodate a large plastic tub/bin with a lid....here's a photo of it "in process", but you can get the idea:

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Shelves are so much more space-efficient.

Nice job!

Maggie
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Laundry Woes too...

We are full-timing with our 3 kids so we generate lots of dirty, stinky laundry.
We opted for 3 tall, slender, and breathable plastic hamper type things.
I found them at Wally World for around $6. In our 34' Excella, there is a little alcove in the cedar closet where they fit perfectly. We use 3; one for whites, one for colors, and the third for other stuff!
They work well, are symetrical, and nothing needs to be transferred to another container. Each hamper is a good sized machine load. When the hamper is full, its time do do a load!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Being new to this RVing lark, on our two week trip last year we simply used a plastic tote for laundry and kept it in the tow vehicle. In a very short space of time the tote became known as 'The Stinky Box'. Lesson learned and it's a mesh bag kept in the shower now!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I use a big plastic tote and mesh bag for smalls to keep in the truck. The bed has a topper and I use plastic totes to store quite a few things as a "fulltimer" (worker) that slide around like a Rubiks Cube to access. All laundry items (soap, etc) are in the bottom of the tote. This keeps yet more cleaning chemicals out of the living area (same for vehicle specific ones).

Folding rocking chair and a book (with book light depending on time of day) to be comfortable at the RV park laundromat make it a fairly quick hour. Just have to remember quarters and something to drink.

As with shoes, "dirty" clothes come off inside the doorway on the walk-off mat so the rest of the trailer stays clean-er. I use "house clothes" just as I use "house shoes" in the same way for all other activities. When camping it is the smoke-infused clothes, the I-prepped-dinner-in-this-shirt smell, etc, that can quickly overwhelm the trailer, so this habit is easy to use always.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
Thank you for all the insight. My laundry seems to end up in the shower, too. I like the idea of shelves in the closet. I love the idea of washing the clothes while traveling,
Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
We have a huge (for an RV) closet across the hallway from our bathroom, and just put a large laundry basket on the floor in there.

The closet floor is a thin lift-up panel and that is where you access the water pump. I've put a wooden brace under there to give extra support to the closet floor since on week long trips that basket can get piled up and heavy.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Re Maggie's note above: in John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charlie" he describes doing his laundry on the road in a plastic bucket hung from bungees in his cabover camper. Never tried it, but sounds cool! (Also a really fun read...)

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
This is how we traveled on the mc. One pair of underwear, socks and tee shirt. Blue jeans. After several days when everything was totally filthy, we bought new. Jeans lasted the whole trip if less than two weeks. This is not the way to do it with the AS if you want friends when you camp. That was a long time ago in a universe far, far away. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Mesh hamper or laundry bag in the shower. We usually depend on campground showers so it is out of the way there.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
We stow our dirty laundry in one of the lockers above our mid twins.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
I guess when I finally finish my renovation I will have more room as I can put tools in tool shed instead of trailer. I am living in argosy while renovated and I guess it is always a mess because of this. I dream of the day of completion. So far I have replaced the lights with leds, installed a full size sink in kitchen, removed one single bed to build an office/art studio, repaired water systems, Installed new battery, removed old univolt, repaired wheel wells that had been "patched" rather than repaired, repaired broken door handle, replaced gas lines that were dry rotted, placed on pedestal for easier acesss and made new baffles.....I guess I am doing more than I thought. thanks for listening.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, our trailer was built with two large plastic containers under the foot of our queen bed; We use those.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I have a collapsable laundry basket similar to post #5 but tall instead of wide while holding dirty clothes. (Lowes or Home Depot has)

I found a huge carbiner clip at Home Depot or Lowes. I put the handle through the carbiner clip and clip over the clothes rod in the shower and fill as we go.

There is likely room for 2 bags to sort the light and dark clothing.

When it is time to take a shower just unclip and then put back in after the shower. THis works very well in my 86 Motorhome.

For washing the "fermented" clothes, add 1/2 cup white vinegar to the water as you begin the was cycle. This will take out the mildew smell and somewhat soften the clothes at the same time so you wont need fabric softener unless you have fleece. For those, I just hang to dry.

Katy

bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
We have a huge (for an RV) closet across the hallway from our bathroom, and just put a large laundry basket on the floor in there.

The closet floor is a thin lift-up panel and that is where you access the water pump. I've put a wooden brace under there to give extra support to the closet floor since on week long trips that basket can get piled up and heavy.
OUr previous owner added a cabinet door to the face of the cabinet below that, so you don't have to lift the wardrobe floor to access the pump etc.

Love these ideas!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote