Old 06-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 31' Classic
Surprise , AZ
Design ideas

Hi all!

My husband and I just bought a 2011 31' classic. We are currently in the process of selling our house and belongings in order to move into the trailer full time. We have a 3yr old and a 4 month old. We are brainstorming ideas on how to make some space for the kids i.e. take out the closet doors and turn it into a bunk bed/play area, remove dinnette to build more counter space and leave floor space for the littles, etc.

Looking for any ideas on remodeling ideas for us!

Thank you all and can't wait to meet you on the road!

ejsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsabo View Post
Hi all!

My husband and I just bought a 2011 31' classic. We are currently in the process of selling our house and belongings in order to move into the trailer full time. We have a 3yr old and a 4 month old. We are brainstorming ideas on how to make some space for the kids i.e. take out the closet doors and turn it into a bunk bed/play area, remove dinnette to build more counter space and leave floor space for the littles, etc.

Looking for any ideas on remodeling ideas for us!

Thank you all and can't wait to meet you on the road!
Hi and welcome to the wonderful life of Airstreaming! My wife and I are on our second AS 345LE motorhome, and we are in the process of finishing up a full gut and renovation. When our three children were young (20 years ago, ouch!), we used to take lots of trips and the best ones were when we went out for 6 weeks or more, so you are about to embark on something rare and wonderful. We did not do any modifications to our first AS motorhome, and it really worked out fine, however looking back we could have made modifications that would have helped create more usable space.

So this time around, we decided to build it out the way we really wanted it, since it will mainly be just the two of us, and maybe a grandkid or two, yay! The two main changes to the interior layout have been the removal of the rear queen bed and replacing it with a full U shaped lounge (gaucho) with large table on a power pedestal. We had always thought the rear bed space could be better utilized as a living area, which as you know with young kids you can never have enough of. The second major change was replacing the dinette with a cabinet/kitchen counter workspace. Since my wife is an excellent cook, it was important to make the kitchen a priority when it came to preparation space and storage. To a cook, counter space is king, and since we will also be full timing within a few years, we wanted to build it the way we envision it would work best for us.

Anyways, we are not DIY capable, at least not at the level of quality we were looking for, so we hired a professional firm to do all of the work. It's worked out really well for us. They've done a great job and have been a delight to work with. I've attached a few progress images so you can see the cabinet build, and a peek at the general transformation. This project has taken some time, but is now nearing completion, and we will soon be on the road again. If you have questions or would like more detailed info/images, just PM me and I'll be happy to oblige.

Oh, and by the way, our adult children still talk about the Airstream years as the best years! Kudos to you and your husband for taking the road less traveled. It's worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_120823.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	344330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1952.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	344331  

Attached Images

Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2011 31' Classic
Surprise , AZ
Hi Stream3,

Thank you for your post and the welcome into the AS community.

Congratulations on your own AS remodel. We are also not DIY to the extent of building cabinets and bunk beds, how did you find a builder that would work in airstreams? Did you hire a cabinet maker?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Hi ejsabo-
We had been looking for the right person or small firm for at least six months when we found the RV Clinic in Franklin, Ohio about an hour from our home. They do general repair and renovation work on all RVs, but importantly they have a lot of AS experience. I'm sure there are similar companies out your way. It does take a bit of research to find someone, and we talked with multiple companies prior to making a decision. In your case, you may be able to hire a master woodworker or cabinet maker to do the job you have in mind, but make sure you have precise plans and clear build/installation instructions. Airstreams are tricky!
Good luck!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2011 31' Classic
Surprise , AZ
Thanks so much, we are having difficulties finding someone/company up for the task.

We will keep searching!
Old 06-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
YouTube the channel “Less Junk More Journey”. They converted their Airstream 31 to travel as a family. They have a 4 year old and a new born.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Ultimate Airstreams in Oregon can handle pretty much anything you throw at them in terms of modifications. If nothing else their website is fun to get ideas from. Fun fact, they are one of the few (only?) companies Airstream trusts enough to sell empty shells to. They do a LOT of innovative things.

+1 on checking out the excellent Less Junk, More Journey. They are wondering if they may have to trade in their Airstream when their kids get older.
daleyocum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2011 31' Classic
Surprise , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post
YouTube the channel “Less Junk More Journey”. They converted their Airstream 31 to travel as a family. They have a 4 year old and a new born.

Thanks Air Apparent, we follow them and have taken a lot of their ideas!
Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2011 31' Classic
Surprise , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Ultimate Airstreams in Oregon can handle pretty much anything you throw at them in terms of modifications. If nothing else their website is fun to get ideas from. Fun fact, they are one of the few (only?) companies Airstream trusts enough to sell empty shells to. They do a LOT of innovative things.

+1 on checking out the excellent Less Junk, More Journey. They are wondering if they may have to trade in their Airstream when their kids get older.

Awesome I will look at their site for ideas! Thank you.