Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Definition of Full-Timing?

Hey guys! Some of you know I am currently searching for my piece of vintage history! So I joined this forum to make sure I know what Im getting into. Then I came accross this "full-time" forum. What is meant by the term ful-time? Is it traveling the country and camping at any campground for a few weeks/months then picking up and moving again? Or is it parking the airstream on solid ground and living in it like a house? I have debated doing the 2nd option since houses are expensive and Im only working part time right now. Im just unsure of the space. So, which is it?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
To me full timing is using an Airstream as it was intended, that is on the road traveling from place to place at a take it easy pace. Working for a while in one place if needed and then moving on.
Parking it more or less permently is homesteading. I don't think an Airstream is really the best trailer for that. There are many "park" trailers that would be better suited. I am sure that there are many people using Airstreams as "park" trailers and are perfectly happy with their decision.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When you move into the RV full-time, you are full-timing.

Not reasonable in Illinois winters, and may not be a solution to the expensive housing problem. The bargain house prices today are in little mid-western towns, we just sold an old house on a corner lot that had been in the family for $1,000 at auction. One bid.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
^^^ I think I could afford that lol. I came aweful close to buyng a small 700 sq ft house with an acre of land for under $25k... Someone beat me to it lol. Iv definitly been considering the whole "real estate auction" scene. Seems thats the best way to get a good deal these days!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Full timing usually has more to do with whether you have a domicile somewhere to return to, or if the camper is your home.

That said, there are people who spend 6 months out of the year in their camper (the couple that run the advice column in Good Sam's magazine come to mind). They do have a home somewhere, but they also spend quite a bit of time on the road. That situation is a little more gray.

But the label isn't important - what's important is what you want to do.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Id love to spend 6 months camping lol. But I wouldnt have a source of income for 6 months lol. Thats where it gets foggy... Youd have to be retired and drawing social security/pension/etc to live this lifestyle wouldnt ya? Or have a boat load of cash layin around to fund such lifestyle?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
on fulltiming..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Not reasonable in Illinois winters, and may not be a solution to the expensive housing problem. The bargain house prices today are in little mid-western towns, we just sold an old house on a corner lot that had been in the family for $1,000 at auction. One bid.

doug k
Unfortunately, if one is unemployed or underemployed, buying one of the gems in the small mid-western town won't help much, as jobs are scarce and most likely minimum wage-part time.

My Airstream is indeed my only (thus fulltime) residence. While I would never consider trying to winter north of Oklahoma, it serves my purposes. I grew up in small town mid-western America, and appreciate the lifestyle, but can't afford to go back. So, while the Airstream is sort of permanantly based today, it still has wheels. If a better opportunity surfaces, changing my address is very easy. That fits my definition of a full-timer.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Plenty of ways to make $$ while on the road. I'm a middle aged web developer and can work almost anywhere. Though I wish I had boat loads of cash.

Currently full-timing for 2 months and counting.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
3/4 Timing

We currently spend 8 months of the year traveling in the Airstream. Have been doing this for the past 5 years. Pretty much in search of 72 degree weather. So far we have kept our brick and mortar house and are glad we did. It is always nice to have a place to come back to. Couldn't help notice the Olney, Il address. One of our favorite towns to stop at while traveling across the country on US 50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OlneyIl.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	166435  
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
Hi doug
just curious , where was the house?
do you have another one?
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Hey thats our park! Lol. Small world huh? And ya get to be entertained by white squirrels!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We met a guy backpacking on the Appalachian Trail almost ten years ago, he was very nicely defending different modes of through-hiking the trail. While he seemed a purist (and was on his umpteenth through-hike of that 2,200 mile trail), he stated that through-hiking could take any number of different shapes or appearances.

The only important thing, he said, is what it means to the individual doing it.

Full-timing, as far as we are concerned, is the same thing. We've met full-timers with two big airstreams, one in mountains and one on the Florida Atlantic coast, and no other house. We know fuil-timers who own a lot in Minnesota and one in Benson AZ, they tow their airstream twice a year. We know full-timers living in a tiny airstream who take vacations during the year without their airstream.

Lots of other variants, probably, in full-timing.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote