Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not that I have first hand experience with full timing but I think I can offer a few comments.

If you are intending to campground most of the time water and sewer may not be a question. but if you intend to hit the boonies I would consider adding additional tankage. That is not as hard as it may seam and a lot easier do do before you hit the road. Something as simple as cross connecting the gray to the black and increasing the freshwater tank will add range. To do this connect the tops of the tanks with a 3/4 plastic connection. Once the gray fills it will flow to the black which is grossly oversized to begin with.

The storage issue will be governed by what you are towing with. between a van, a pickup or a car there are orders of magnitude in space and flexibility.

You will soon encounter those fellow full timers that have solved the battery question with stand alone solar and special battery configurations.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #22
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
You are always to welcome to drive up to Canada for a visit and if you find it to small, you can trade me for one of mine for the drive back. I would love a bambi for my collection ;-)
Not going to happen, I know, but just putting it out there for the fun of it.

You'll be fine. If you are at all handy my recommendation is to make yourself a patrol box like my scouts use. Its a whole kitchen setup in a box with pull out legs. very compact..
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
With a camper that small, I'd have to go outside to change my mind!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Bambi 16 does not have gray and black. Only 1 common tank.

If you would be willing to only use the waste tank for gray, and use a blue boy to offload, then I think it is do-able provided your vehicle offer secure dry storage, and you are OK with using it for that.

I recommend that you go to the section on trailers, bambi, newest, and read the thread on Bambi 4 model feature differences to see pages and pages of what actual owners say and do in their Bambis.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I'm that old guy that BoldAdventure was talking about. I went looking for a small Airstream, and wound up with a 31 footer. BA is right, we need more space at our age.

However, when we were in our 20s we enjoyed a year in a 16' Bambi. Yes, it was fun, and at first, big enough. But, after a year it became more and more cramped.

So, we traded up to a 23' AS. We were quite happy with that one for many years. Although we did a lot of boondocking, we lived for a year in a Bay Area trailer park. Hookups are wonderful!

So, my advice would be to go with your gut. If you feel later that you want more space, trade up for it. Life goes by quickly. Embrace every moment of it.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Wife and I lived on boat once. Had no running water, no refrigeration, no 110v power but nice toilet facilities (a toilet that worked, no bucket). We voted it as the best time of our life! Bought ice once a week and having it was like going to dinner at the Ritz! Lots of things keep OK without ice if you know how to do it. To those who said 60 is the limit I will let u know we were over 60! Did I hijack the thread? My apologies. Read boat books to learn about living in a small space.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #27
Quiksilver

2006 16' International CCD
Mesa , Arizona
Thumbs up Update: Thanks, Everybody! I love my Bambi 16 2006 Quiksilver

I've downsized my posessions almost all the way and am just about ready to move into "Glint" full-time (in May) after my test run here in my backyard on my RV pad.

(1) I really love how well the space is used and the layout; a less ideal setup would be hard. Good thing all my hobbies are digital.

(2) The kitchen is not a problem. There's a cutting board that covers the sink, and I have an electric skillet, a blender, and a real good chef's knife. I can make anything using those. I might get an electric pot with a pouring lip to boil water for tea and heat other liquids like broth. A toaster oven may not be out of the question.

(3) The closet is small, but I will just rotate my clothes from the storage bins. Good thing I am not a clotheshorse.

Actually, the hardest thing for me in my "training" so far is learning to get along with single-ply RV toilet paper.

The best thing about opting for the Bambi 16 is that it fits in a regular parking place. I can park anywhere I can find two parking places head to head without sticking out or having to park somewhere obscure, and that matters a lot to me. I can park it in a friend's driveway while I'm visiting. I can be in a lot more places. Freedom is the whole reason I'm doing it.

Thanks again!
Glint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Salt Lake City , Utah
Quiksilver is the best! I bought mine in 2008 and still love it.

I just installed solar and can spend a week without hookups no problem. Fresh water is the limiting factor. That's what gives out first.

And you are right about parking. You can pretty much park where ever you like.

Have a great time.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

phoenix , Arizona
Glint-Congrats to sticking with your "craziness" I am in the process of gathering information for my move into 22'Sport. I am choosing the bigger size since it's me, my boyfriend and 2 small dogs. But technically I could be called nuts as well
Maybe I will see you around since I live around the corner Btw-where did you buy yours from? Dealership? Craigslist? ...
nanaenes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I'm excited for you enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #31

New York , New York
Hey Glint, I am doing it too... in a 16' bambi, and you nailed it dead on: the most difficult thing so far has been getting used to single ply toilet paper! I am full-timing in upstate New York and (get ready for it) haven't used the propane heater yet. I have an awesome electric space heater, and it keeps the place toasty warm. So far my most expensive electric bill has been $60! You can check out my adventures at Silver Slicker | Living Small in an Airstream. I'd love to hear more about yours! :-)
modernist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Patuxent River , Maryland
Hey modernist,

I release this thread is ancient...but would you be willing to exchange a few e-mails with me regarding your experience living in the Bambi?

Cheers!
Dashash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #33
Quiksilver

Mesa , Arizona
Re:

Who is "Modernist"?

What would you like to know about fulltiming in a Bambi? Also, what is your first language? I sense Good Translate was used to translate your message to English.

Glint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Patuxent River , Maryland
Hi Glint!

Modernist wrote a few messages earlier in the thread. Yes, believe it or not, English is my first language. I apparently just couldn't type that day .

Questions regarding full-timing in a bambi...yes, I have many. I'm mostly curious to know how long you can stretch your 23 gallons of fresh water to, how often you have to dump your waste, and how long the propane tanks last. Obviously there are many variables that go into these metrics, but I'd like to know your first hand experience. How is the refrigerator size? Able to make that work pretty well?

Cheers
Dashash is offline   Reply With Quote