Old 10-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We toured the country in VW Campers many trips in 35 years which convinced me it is the best way to tour but I wouldn't want to live that way. So for extended retirement travel we bought a 20' Airstream, no living room, then a 25' good for 6 months at a time with seating mod's.

Thoreau's cabin was warm, a place to sit, cook, eat and sleep but importantly, unlimited toilet facilities just outside the door. That may be the greatest challenge today.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I agree that water and sewer are going to be your biggest headaches. Your 2nd biggest headache will be keeping your battery fully charged.

Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
Chase , BC
You'd be amazed at what you can do! A Bambi has everything you need. For inspiration, you could Google "tiny house living," and check out the YouTube vids of people fulltiming in camper vans (even smaller, and often no real wash or real cooking facilities). Totally different and cool mindset. Enjoy. They do!
SusanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Stick to places with decent weather. If you spend a bunch of time out of doors you will have tons of space.
I doubt I could full time in any Airstream but envy those who can.
2012 30' International Serenity
1947 Spartan Manor
2005 28' Safari LS - traded
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We toured the country in VW Campers many trips in 35 years which convinced me it is the best way to tour
I'd say it depends on your age and place in life quite a bit. No offense to the older crowd on this forum. But gosh, the you'll regret anything smaller than a 50 ft Airstream is tiring.

But like I said, I think it's age and place in life. Old people can't stand the couches, they need recliners. Young people seem to love living in Vans and bumming around the country full time.

I suppose when I'm 60+ I'll want a recliner and not a microbus myself.

So I don't think it's crazy, I think you just gotta know what you want, and what you'll be comfortable in.

What's comfortable for me might not be comfortable for you. I had a friend rave about how great his Accord was. I rode in it and hated the seats. He loves them. See, we all respond differently to our environment. Our tastes are even more varied.

Speaking of, I seriously entertained a VW Vanagon Westfalia. But they're under powered, and I really wanted a Syncro (4x4) and man those things fetch a price! They fetch Airstream dollars restored.

Still, I think if I where to settle in one place outwest, I might buy one to take the kids camping.

They're just so cool looking.
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Interesting comments here. Of course, if you had to, you could live in a pup tent for the next ten years. However, my advice for someone like this is to first not so much focus on "is it or is it not possible," but more focus on what you can afford and then learn to live and love that. So if a Bambi is what you can afford, then be happy with that. But for living full time, I wouldn't be too quick to ignore some of the comments here. If you can work just a little longer or make a little more money, my guess is that one of those 20-23' Airstreams would double the "satisfaction" factor of one of those Bambis. Double axles, ability to have a guest, storage, etc. are all factors that should not be too quickly discarded by simply saying that you travel light.

My wife and I bought a 25' unit so that we could have a separate freezer and room to carry a few things. That freezer meant that we weren't constantly under pressure to grocery shop. Items like that and owning holding tanks of a size that won't make you miserable, to me, are worth the extra money. But if that is out of your budget, "love the one you're with" as the old song said.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not that I have first hand experience with full timing but I think I can offer a few comments.

If you are intending to campground most of the time water and sewer may not be a question. but if you intend to hit the boonies I would consider adding additional tankage. That is not as hard as it may seam and a lot easier do do before you hit the road. Something as simple as cross connecting the gray to the black and increasing the freshwater tank will add range. To do this connect the tops of the tanks with a 3/4 plastic connection. Once the gray fills it will flow to the black which is grossly oversized to begin with.

The storage issue will be governed by what you are towing with. between a van, a pickup or a car there are orders of magnitude in space and flexibility.

You will soon encounter those fellow full timers that have solved the battery question with stand alone solar and special battery configurations.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #22
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
You are always to welcome to drive up to Canada for a visit and if you find it to small, you can trade me for one of mine for the drive back. I would love a bambi for my collection ;-)
Not going to happen, I know, but just putting it out there for the fun of it.

You'll be fine. If you are at all handy my recommendation is to make yourself a patrol box like my scouts use. Its a whole kitchen setup in a box with pull out legs. very compact..
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #23

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
With a camper that small, I'd have to go outside to change my mind!
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Bambi 16 does not have gray and black. Only 1 common tank.

If you would be willing to only use the waste tank for gray, and use a blue boy to offload, then I think it is do-able provided your vehicle offer secure dry storage, and you are OK with using it for that.

I recommend that you go to the section on trailers, bambi, newest, and read the thread on Bambi 4 model feature differences to see pages and pages of what actual owners say and do in their Bambis.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I'm that old guy that BoldAdventure was talking about. I went looking for a small Airstream, and wound up with a 31 footer. BA is right, we need more space at our age.

However, when we were in our 20s we enjoyed a year in a 16' Bambi. Yes, it was fun, and at first, big enough. But, after a year it became more and more cramped.

So, we traded up to a 23' AS. We were quite happy with that one for many years. Although we did a lot of boondocking, we lived for a year in a Bay Area trailer park. Hookups are wonderful!

So, my advice would be to go with your gut. If you feel later that you want more space, trade up for it. Life goes by quickly. Embrace every moment of it.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Wife and I lived on boat once. Had no running water, no refrigeration, no 110v power but nice toilet facilities (a toilet that worked, no bucket). We voted it as the best time of our life! Bought ice once a week and having it was like going to dinner at the Ritz! Lots of things keep OK without ice if you know how to do it. To those who said 60 is the limit I will let u know we were over 60! Did I hijack the thread? My apologies. Read boat books to learn about living in a small space.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #27
2006 16' International CCD
Mesa , Arizona
Thumbs up Update: Thanks, Everybody! I love my Bambi 16 2006 Quiksilver

I've downsized my posessions almost all the way and am just about ready to move into "Glint" full-time (in May) after my test run here in my backyard on my RV pad.

(1) I really love how well the space is used and the layout; a less ideal setup would be hard. Good thing all my hobbies are digital.

(2) The kitchen is not a problem. There's a cutting board that covers the sink, and I have an electric skillet, a blender, and a real good chef's knife. I can make anything using those. I might get an electric pot with a pouring lip to boil water for tea and heat other liquids like broth. A toaster oven may not be out of the question.

(3) The closet is small, but I will just rotate my clothes from the storage bins. Good thing I am not a clotheshorse.

Actually, the hardest thing for me in my "training" so far is learning to get along with single-ply RV toilet paper.

The best thing about opting for the Bambi 16 is that it fits in a regular parking place. I can park anywhere I can find two parking places head to head without sticking out or having to park somewhere obscure, and that matters a lot to me. I can park it in a friend's driveway while I'm visiting. I can be in a lot more places. Freedom is the whole reason I'm doing it.

Thanks again!
Glint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quiksilver is the best! I bought mine in 2008 and still love it.

I just installed solar and can spend a week without hookups no problem. Fresh water is the limiting factor. That's what gives out first.

And you are right about parking. You can pretty much park where ever you like.

Have a great time.

Salt Lake City

spenfolder is online now   Reply With Quote